Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the future plans for a Cure in America?

Question What are the future plans for a Cure in America?

Open for discussion.

I would like to now if at all possible to hear what the American SCI organisations and also what the various Stem Cell Advocacy Groups/Organisations are planning for the future to be able to lift the 2001 ban on federal funding towards embryonic stem cell research, and also how to manage to lift the same ban so that American researchers can do stem cell research not only on embryonic stem cell lines created before this period of time. This to be able to find a cure for SCI.

What will be the strategy? The best approach to the problem? How to do it? And why it has to be done in a particular way if so? Is collaboration among the organisations required and so on…?

Please let this be a serious discussion for a Cure, avoid fighting but try to come up with good ideas. Neither has this thread anything to do with the two bills now in discussion as such – the CRPA and the HR.810 (SCREA).

Hopefully also this thread can take some attention away from some threads discussing the upcoming rally in WashingtonDC later this month but that is not the main reason for this thread, the main reason is we have to have continuously discussions for the best way to find a cure. - The rally is a very good thing (hopefully many will show up and sincerely good luck), but please leave that out of the discussion in this thread and try to think long term, because that is needed. More work is required after the rally. Much more.

I had some comments to some ideas here in this thread; Link

The discussions here can also of course cover more than embryonic stem cell research. The funding is a problem for the entire research for a cure but a problem is still the ban on hESCR. But then please not limit it to embryonic stem cell research only. Many roads lead to Rome.

Any comments? And I mean this in a positive way of course. What do you think? Do you think I like to discuss that much? That I will stay in this wheelchair for the sake of the discussions only? Hah Any comments are appreciated. Tanks, Leif

What do you want to take place in the future and how will you do it?

Don’t sit in small dark smoky rooms and discuss strategy, discuss it where SCI peoples are, right here on this site for an example?

Leif,

The best strategy to overturn Bush's restrictions is for Americans to work hard for the election of pro-ESC politicians this November.

Steven
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Leif,

The best strategy to overturn Bush's restrictions is for Americans to work hard for the election of pro-ESC politicians this November.

Steven
    Steven. You could be right her but is it really that simple; I had the November elections in my mind of course – but the question still lays there; how will you gain more support for SCI research? Is there room for improvements? To make it #one on the agenda? And I’m neither talking global nor some EU efforts here; it was a specific question to all the organisations within the US. I’ll reply to the EU contributions (if any) in another thread and also post it here. Is there any long term plans in place for a cure for SCI from the SCI community in your county and what are those? Please notice I wrote “long term”.
    Last edited by Leif; 04-15-2006 at 06:05 PM.

Leif, I was responding to (what I perceived to be) the main focus of your question: lifting restrictions on ESC research.

Long term for a cure?

1. We need to identify legislators (and candidates) who actively promote increased funding for medical research. Those who don't, we vote out. Offer to appear in commercials for those who support medical research.
    2. We need to establish good working relationships with legislative assistants.
    3. We need a clinical trial network.
    4. We need to make medical research an issue in the 2008 election by promoting its economic and human benefits in our media correspondence.
    5. We need to promote promising SCI research in our media correspondence. Talk about how achievable and eminent a cure truly is in the near-term.
    6. We need to establish good working relationships with researchers, to help them see who they're helping and have a more personal incentive to finding a cure.
    7. We need to establish good working relationships with SCI organizations and express that a cure is our number one priority.
    Just a few ideas...
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 04-15-2006 at 06:31 PM. Reason: appending more items
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

good plan steven...for 1997.

all we need is clinical trial centers.

They are the most important, but all of it would be helpful.

Without legislators willing to increase NIH funding in their budget proposals, things will be more difficult.

Since this thread is pertaining to a future plan for a "cure" in America, I have been meaning to ask a question to Dr. Wise (I love this name) or anybody else out there who might be able to answer. Basically, when a broadly accepted "cure" has been made available for clinical implementation, have there been any discussion in the neurological community of the logistical aspect of administrating this "cure"/procedure. Since there is about a quarter of a million of us out there in the US alone, and growing by the day, I believe we should have some sort of plan established for administration of the procedure when it dawns on us. I mean, what good is a cure if it can't readily get to any of us. I figure that either way acute injuries will probably see a cure first, but as for chronic injuries, will the date of injury be the deciding factor, severity, location of injury, or maybe a combination of all categories. I don't know, just wondering.

Some good ideas here but I was more curios to know if there existed any written long term plans, a philosophy or a strategy within the SCI organisations for how to change the current politics. If there was something in their books about this. It seems like those books are as close to empty as it gets.

Tufelhunden - good questions.
    Last edited by Leif; 04-17-2006 at 10:17 AM.

Still chasing a rainbow