Thread: Doing my own gentamicin....sheeesh

Doing my own gentamicin....sheeesh

Well.....we did our first procedure by ourselves. It thought it would be easy with my picc line but it almost killed me. Gentamicin is an IV medicine. A picc line is like an IV but more of a permanent installation. My wife is the hands and I'm the brains. Yup...big trouble.

After being warned 100 times not to mix the medicine with the heparin we still started the gentamiin without doing the saline flush first. About five seconds into it I panicked and clamped it. Instructed wifey to do the saline flush. Got the medicine going again and waited to die from complications.

I make sure we do everything we can to be as clean as possible. I just hope I don't need antibiotics from having administered antibiotics.

The good news is that I'm now 100% certain that I can give my wife driving lessons without losing my cool. If we can do this together we can do almost anything....

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Jeff~Your post brought back memories! I had to do that for Brianna after her injury; she came down with diskitis and was on IV antibiotics (something-mycin)for six weeks. Scary as hell, isn't it? I was also worried about something happening to her pic line. Her veins are basically non-existant; the techs who put the line in told her if anything happened to it, just come on back and they'd put her to sleep rather than try to find a vein and install a new pic!!!

Just remember...air is NOT your friend!

Take care, and you're probably right about the driving lessons!
    Vicky

Jeff - I am glad that you accomplished this and that it will be easier the next time! It sounds like you are a great team!!

I have both empathy and admiration for people today, who have to be the nurses for themselves or one's family member. If everyone wanted to be a nurse, we would not have a shortage today, but not everyone has the desire to be a nurse or healthcare provider. I have known so many people that have had to manage so many complicated care needs in the home setting.

I do hope the gentamycin will be the answer to this continuing battle with UTIs. CRF

We're going through the same thing although thankfully my pic is on maintanance for the moment! At one point we had 2 different pumps/meds that we had to change and flush twice a day. Beats going to the IV Clinic every 6 hours though.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
    ~ Anon

Geeez, thank you guys so much! What a blessing to get home and read sympathetic replies!!

After I posted this topic I noticed there was blood in the line. Shit!! So I took command and decided to do a flush and another heparin. Same problem! Arrrgghhhh!

Just then I realized we were removing the syringe and then clamping. Wow. Maybe that was just enough time for blood to get in the line. Another flush, another heparin...clamp this time...and then remove the syringe and cap it! Voila!! Man, did I feel better. I had almost called 9-1-1!!

I think it will definitely go better next time. I'm almost looking forward to it, lol.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~