Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paid Study Participation for Persons with SCI

pastelbleu

Paid Study Participation for Persons with SCI

Dr. Rosemarie King and Dr. David Chen are currently recruiting persons with a spinal cord injury (SCI) to participate in a study about pressure ulcer prevention. The purpose of the study is to develop a questionnaire about beliefs on self-care to prevent pressure sores after SCI.

Those eligible to participate will be asked to record their skin care 4 days a week for two weeks. After the skin care logs have been completed, participants will complete a questionnaire over the phone with a study investigator.

Participation takes about 2 hours over 3 weeks. All contacts are over the phone; participants do not have to travel. Participants are compensated for their participation.

If you are interested please call 1-866-570-0007.

Dr. Rosemarie King is a member of the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. Dr. David Chen is Director of the Spinal Cord Injury Service, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.

sounds too easy... most folks here are probably in a groove; "monitoring" self care is as easy as describing habits.

If you need info, I can supply what I've done for the past 4 years on a daily basis. I've never had any breakdown; I'm c6/7.

but heck, to get paid for this, why not.

how much??

Can Canadians participate?

Thanks

I tried to call you but they do not connect my area

[This message was edited by Max on 06-08-03 at 09:13 PM.]

bump

I heard from Dr. King today that they are still very short on study participants. Please help by volunteering for this important study.

(KLD)

I called. They took my name and address. They're mailing me out a consent form to return. They still are not getting that many participants. I forgot to ask what the stipend is. I'm actually doing it just to be helpful and for gaining the understanding of how a study like this is conducted.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

What do you do? Do you just go about your normal daily routine and record what you do or what?

I do nothing special as far as skin care. I don't do presure reliefs, and I sleep all night on the same side. Sometimes I sleep in the chair with my head on the desk or against a wall. I have never had a pressure sore.

I do check myself out in the morning. If I am sitting funny where it must be causing discomfort, I will start getting a cold sweaty feeling and I know to move.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Call and join the study. Dr. King has e-mailed me that the number of participants in the last couple days has gone up a little...hopefully from our site and NM. The study includes keeping a log as well as being interviewed on the phone. This is for both those who have never had a pressure ulcer as well as those who have.

(KLD)

I just called sci nurse