Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary accessible van?

Temporary accessible van?

My bf was in accident today~ car pulled out in front of him and he t-boned the guy~ totalling his van. He thinks it will take a minimum of a month for him to get another van and is trying to find out another option in the mean time.

He took the bus for several years before getting his van, but the problem is his chair has been acting up (including spontaneously breaking down) and he's afraid he'll get stranded somewhere.

Do rental car companies have vans w/ lifts as well as hand controls? Anyone know of any places in Colorado that might have vans? Accessible cabs cost about $35/ride I've heard and I guess it takes time too to get Accesseride set up. Anyone have other ideas or info?? Thanks!

in seattle area, i can rent van. but it costs A lot per day. and ins. won't pay. twice my van has been hit by others and even tho totally not my fault, they wouldn't pay to rent accessible van. rental car, yes. that didn't help.

if ya got the money, i know you can rent outta denver.
    Last edited by cass; 04-12-2006 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    in seattle area, i can rent van. but it costs A lot per day. and ins. won't pay. twice my van has been hit by others and even tho totally not my fault, they wouldn't pay to rent accessible van. rental car, yes. that didn't help.

if ya got the money, i know you can rent outta denver.
    Yeah the places we looked at were pretty expensive and we weren't even sure that he'd be able to drive the van himself if it doesn't have everything he needs. Why bother if the days wages are gone before ya get started and you still can't get anywhere independently!? I guess we'll just wait and see~ still not sure if the other guy even had insurance! Thanks Cass!

How can ins companies not pay for that? Isn't that some form of dicrimination?

Hiker-babe. You're in Colorado? Are you near Denver? If so I can help you with some contact info. Call or e-mail. W:303-925-9644 E-mail: c.d.chappell@comcast.net

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Quote Originally Posted by jplw
    How can ins companies not pay for that? Isn't that some form of dicrimination?
    Yeah, it's stupid. They would give him a regular rental car of course, but that wouldn't do him any good. Speaking of insurance companies...do you guys insure your vehicles at their full value with all the adaptive equipment, or just the standard value for that make, model & year? That's another concern we're having...the bluebook value for his van is probably only about $4000, but you all know that to replace it and make it drivable for him it will cost more like $30,000+! Probably going to have to fight the insurance company on that one too

Hikerbabe, did the police report place fault on the other driver? If so, you need to find out if the other driver had insurance... not sure how you don't know at this point.

As for insuring modifications... yeah, make sure your insurance company knows about them and will cover the extra stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    Hikerbabe, did the police report place fault on the other driver? If so, you need to find out if the other driver had insurance... not sure how you don't know at this point.

As for insuring modifications... yeah, make sure your insurance company knows about them and will cover the extra stuff.
    My bf was not ticketed or anything, but we're not sure about the other driver. All they found in his truck was an expired insurance card, so we don't know if he didn't have insurance or if he just didn't have the new card. The other driver wasn't wearing his seatbelt and went to the hospital so I guess the police didn't have a chance to talk to him or something?

I guess my bf's insurance company is only offering him $1000 for "extra equipment," so he's thinking of just buying the van back from them and getting his equipment out of it. He just had a regular insurance policy, because he was under the impression that if they covered modifications his premiums would be even more outrageous! Is that not the case Scott?

Tough situation & I'm sorry to hear about it. If your bf wasn't ticketed, he most likely wasn't at fault, thus putting blame on the other driver. I'd follow-up with the police about it. The other driver's insurance company should be the one to foot the bill for whatever needs to be done.

Yes, premiums get more expensive when the value of what is insured increases... that's how it works. If his modifications weren't covered, they weren't covered. I'd investigate the condition of the existing equipment... you might not even have to buy it back if this is the case. Let the van be totalled, but remove the equipment as if it wasn't part of the van, b/c technically I don't think it is. I'd think the equipment (lift, hand controls, etc) should be considered personal belongings.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    Tough situation & I'm sorry to hear about it. If your bf wasn't ticketed, he most likely wasn't at fault, thus putting blame on the other driver. I'd follow-up with the police about it. The other driver's insurance company should be the one to foot the bill for whatever needs to be done.

Yes, premiums get more expensive when the value of what is insured increases... that's how it works. If his modifications weren't covered, they weren't covered. I'd investigate the condition of the existing equipment... you might not even have to buy it back if this is the case. Let the van be totalled, but remove the equipment as if it wasn't part of the van, b/c technically I don't think it is. I'd think the equipment (lift, hand controls, etc) should be considered personal belongings.
    Thanks. Yeah, all this just happened yesterday and I guess the police haven't received any more info about the other driver's insurance as of this morning. That's a very good point about the equipment being personal belongings. Makes sense that if they aren't covering it that it doesn't belong to them when the van is totalled. Worse case scenario though, I think it would only cost $800 to buy the van back, which is obviously a lot less expensive than buying all new equipment. Thanks for pointing that out.