Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields (PEMF) in treating SCI

Medical profession definitely not a big fan of MP here in Perth West australia even though they have nothing else to offer. That is my main criticism, they had nothing to offer but actively fought against our daughter getting any alternative therapy initially including any neuroprotective supplements.
    For the record we did buy a PEMF device (not Diapulse) which we have been using 2 x a day without fail. At 5 months post injury the only real progress we can attribute to it is a lack of pain in injury area and a quick healing of the cervical fusion (c4 -c7 ). If our daughter does regain any function you can be sure we will be shouting it from the rooftops. Although there would be nothing to attribute recovery to this device alone.
    I have a question though, how to tell how the scar on the spinal cord is healing, would this show up on an MRI ? Would it show different at 3, 6 and 12 months ?
    Last edited by IanTPoulter; 04-12-2006 at 11:07 AM.

I would be very pleased indeed if somebody were to find a drug or treatment that is better than methylprednisolone for acute spinal cord injury. I am deeply saddened that a drug that I tested in 1979 is still the standard and only therapy for acute spinal cord injury.
    There has been a lot of talk over the years about several drugs that have the potential to replace methylprednisone, unfortunately, none of them have been brought to market. Specifically MDP, EPO and Minocycline.

Diapulse

I’ve written and published articles about the potential benefits of the Diapulse device, which are posted on my website www.healingtherapies.info. The postings also include discussions of promising Diapulse SCI research generated by other scientists in addition to Wise.

In one article, I conclude with the following:

“Although its true SCI therapeutic potential still needs to be determined, if Diapulse represented a more familiar pharmaceutical approach, the biomedical research community would be elated given this amount of positive preliminary evidence and pushing it to the forefront for further scrutiny instead of letting it languish on the sidelines. For the sake of all those who sustain a SCI in the future, let’s once and for all objectively evaluate its healing potential.”

Perhaps, NIH should fund Wise to restart his seminal research that was dropped 20 years ago for lack of funding. Although part of me would like to condemn NIH for not pursuing this promising avenue of research, because at that time I was a NIH division director responsible for establishing research priorities and, as such, as a part of the system that dropped the ball, to some degree I just end up condemning myself (I was unaware of the Diapulse device at that time).

The founder of the Diapulse Corporation, who was a colleague of Albert Einstein in his youth, told me that a well-recognized drug company once offered to buy the device for a huge sum of money. He declined this offer, however, when he learned that the company just wanted to buy it so they could remove it as competition.

It’s easy to get cynical when you hear stories such as this.

Laurance

Laurance, what frequency and magnetic flux density does the Diapulse use?

Diapulse

As I remember, both power and frequency settings can vary considerably depending upon the specific therapeutic application. The Polish study in patients with acute SCI indicated the following parameters 27 Mhz, 600 pulses per sec, 65 usec per pulse. See http://www.healingtherapies.info/Diapulse&AcuteSCI.htm for specifics on this study.

My vet often uses diathermy on SCI dogs.
    BUT..only after IV steroids. And only if the owners are in dire straights monetarily and can't handle a referral to a neurosurgeon.

He uses everything really in that case. His experience with diathermy has been about 50% show benefit..and 50% don't. Of course the 50% that show benefit have already shown about a 50% improvement in their neurological status after having their IV.

He has even used it for months on some that just don't improve at all..he has to shave these little rectangular places on their sides where the plates are placed. He agrees it is very helpful with promoting blood flow and that in itself is a good thing.

When used in the ones that show major improvement in neurological functions quite soon after the IV..well many many once again do walk..albeit like little drunken sailors..they walk. Unfortunately many of these dogs end up with another disc blowing and it's either surgery..or a cart for life.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by IanTPoulter
    Medical profession definitely not a big fan of MP here in Perth West australia even though they have nothing else to offer.
    Canada also doesn't use it anymore based on their own studies.

See info here: http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55942&highlight=methylprdnisolone

Originally Posted by IanTPoulter
    That may be true, but disregarding the personalities and politics of the matter is this statement true?

If so a valuable tool for use in acute spinal cord injuries may be overlooked.

I agree!

Point really is that scientists will go where the funding is, whether there are better therapies or not. The drug industry is a major stakeholder in this process:

The Broken Promise of American Medicine

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Quote Originally Posted by Laurance
    As I remember, both power and frequency settings can vary considerably depending upon the specific therapeutic application. The Polish study in patients with acute SCI indicated the following parameters 27 Mhz, 600 pulses per sec, 65 usec per pulse. See http://www.healingtherapies.info/Diapulse&AcuteSCI.htm for specifics on this study.
    Laurance, Ive seen that study. Its interesting to see though that all the subjects started PEMF treatment within 24 hours of injury.
    The reason I asked about the frequency and magnetic flux is 2 fold.
    I think Robert Becker believes frequencies between 40 and 60 Mhz are electromagnetic smog and should not be used as they may be detrimental. Also I am curious to compare the Tesla strength (magnetic flux) of the Dispulse with the PEMF device my daughter is currently using.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity
    There has been a lot of talk over the years about several drugs that have the potential to replace methylprednisone, unfortunately, none of them have been brought to market. Specifically MDP, EPO and Minocycline.
    Antiquity , My understand in that they are all drugs freely available if prescribed by Doctors, is that right?

Faye, as you know, there have been many discussions here about MP. It is not true that MP is not being used in Canada any more. It is still an "option" for spinal cord injury therapies. In Alberta, it is no longer being used, by the choice of the doctors there. I recently sent a detailed literature review to the Canadian FDA on this question. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Canada also doesn't use it anymore based on their own studies.

See info here: http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55942&highlight=methylprdnisolone

Originally Posted by IanTPoulter
    That may be true, but disregarding the personalities and politics of the matter is this statement true?

If so a valuable tool for use in acute spinal cord injuries may be overlooked.

I agree!

Point really is that scientists will go where the funding is, whether there are better therapies or not. The drug industry is a major stakeholder in this process:

The Broken Promise of American Medicine