Thread: CRPA email to send your friends/family

CRPA email to send your friends/family

Last year, after the Rally, I sent an email to everyone in my address book asking them to contact their Legislators. The CR Foundation has a njice and simple link thaat will send a form letter to your Senators and Congressman asking them to support the CRPA. Please send something to everyone you know BEFORE the rally. Feel free to copy and edit my letter.

Hello all,

I contacted some of you last year after I attended a rally in Washington, DC to raise awareness and support for the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act (CRPA). There is another CRPA Rally scheduled for May 2nd, 2006 (http://www.working2walk.org). I am asking for your help to flood our Legislators in Washington, DC with requests to support the CRPA before the rally. I have included a link to a form letter, created by the Christopher Reeve Foundation that will be sent to your state’s Senators and Congressman.
    Dana Reeve’s passing was a tragic shock to us all. When her husband died, she became a leader with grace and determination equal to Christopher’s. I don’t think anyone will be capable of matching that feat in her absence. Our cause has been dealt a terrible blow, but people with spinal cord injuries cope with difficult situations every day. We will go on, but the time is now for passing the CRPA.

I would like to share a summary of the CRPA with you in an effort to convince you of its merits. The CRPA has strong bi-partisan support and is non-controversial. I believe it has been off the political radar in recent years due to other issues being more high profile (War, Katrina, etc). Also, I would like you to know that the CRPA does not mention or contain any legislation referring to stem cell research. Stem Cell research is a "hot button" topic for many Americans and I think many who are opposed to the CRPA believe it contains a "Stem cell Agenda". It does not.

The CRPA has four components that support and enhance paralysis research, rehabilitation, and quality of life.

* Title I Paralysis Research
    Expands research on paralysis at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This centers on encouraging collaborative research – connecting scientists doing similar work to enhance understanding and speed discovery of better treatments and therapies.

* Title II Paralysis Rehabilitation and Care
    Research to enhance daily function for people with paralysis including a Clinical Trial Network to measure effectiveness of certain rehabilitation tactics and encouraging shared findings on paralysis to improve rehabilitation.

* Title III Improving Quality of Life for Persons with Paralysis and Other Physical Disabilities
    Working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to improve the quality of life and long-term health status of persons with paralysis and other physical disabilities.

* Title IV Basic Rehabilitation and Health Sciences Research
    The bill utilizes the Veteran’s Health Administration facilities to improve paralysis research by tracking data within the world’s largest system of hospitals.

As you can see, there is nothing controversial in the bill.

I am asking you to go to the following link and fill in your name and address. A form letter will be emailed to your US Legislators asking them to support the CRPA. You may need the entire Zip code (xxxxx-xxxx) to determine your Congressman; I've included a link for that as well.

Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act letter
    http://www.kintera.org/siteapps/advo...emplate=x.ascx

Zip code look-up
    http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp

Thank you for reading this far.
    Hopefully you have decided to support this legislation.

IF YOU SEND PERSONALIZED WRITTEN LETTERS, PLEASE INCLUDE THE FQOLLOWING REQUESTS:
    Senators: "Please urge Senator Enzi (Chairman of the Senate HELP Committee) to consider the CRPA this Spring, and Senator Frist to bring the bill to the floor for a vote."

Representative: "Please urge Chairman Barton (Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee) to consider the CRPA as a 'stand-alone' bill this Spring."

You should appeal to your Members of Congress to make passage of this legislation a priority. To cement the legacy of Christopher Reeve as a strong advocate for research, rehabilitation and quality of life programs for all people living with paralysis.

Last, but not least,
    PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY

If you have any questions, please contact me.
    Thanks in advance!
    Scott Simpkins

bump...

If more people do something similar to this, it will add some weight to our Legislator visits on May 2nd.

thanks scott -- for the boilerplate e-mail... I will try to do something similar

Thanks Scott, I will be using the boiler plate as well. Appreciate the help.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

great letter slomo,

will copy

thanks
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Thanks Leo...do you recognize the summary?
    You wrote it last year and I shamelessly plagerized it for my letter.
    Feel free to pursue legal action against me.

When are you leaving for China?

to funny i probably stole it from someone

not sure yet on when i'll return can't imagine it being long

dr. huang gave me some home work and a lot to think about so at least a couple months

take care and remember to save me some buttons, eh

i'd probably go to DC but Beth is such a witch, good luck all
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

I think I wrote the summary LOL! Leo, come to Washington!

Yes, Leo. Come to Washington. South Dakota needs representation. Plus, it would be great to see you. Otherwise, I'll be relegated to simply waving at you from interstate 90 when we drive by on our way to Rapid City for a soccer tournament the end of June.

Thanks Scott for the link.
    I just finished sending it to all the Legislaters in my state.

Riz,
    C-5 incomplete