Thread: Forteo

Forteo

had hip scan 2 yrs ago. been taking fosamax since. had another hip scan. dr says about the same. suggests taking forteo. should I. is it expensive. how is it taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jack
    had hip scan 2 yrs ago. been taking fosamax since. had another hip scan. dr says about the same. suggests taking forteo. should I. is it expensive. how is it taken.
    Do a CC search on Forteo.
    My wife (ab) has been taking Forteo for osteoporosis for about 16 months. She had taken Fosamax before. Currently it is prescribed to be used for two years and only then can they do a new scan and tell how it is working. I believe that Forteo is one of the few medications that will actually reverse osteoporosis. It is expensive, is doled out on a monthly basis, kept in the refrigerator, and is taken with a special tiny automatic syringe device - no measuring or anything necessary. Though expensive, our Insurance covers it as a non-generic which is the middle of our three co-pays.
    Jack, since it is prescribed along with a good eating and exercise regimen for osteoporosis, let me know if that passes muster with your insurance. There are some posts here about the value of medications and standing frames for T-level injuries too.
    Good luck,
    Carl

Forteo

Hello Jack,

Eli Lilly has a program to help with the cost of Forteo. Without their program, it runs about $500 for a monthly dosage. I contacted Eli Lilly about their program, for which I was eligible, and it cost me $12 per month. I just did my own injections in the abdomen and thighs.

I used it for 24 months. Dexascan showed improved density all over with the exception of a small area on my right hip.

Good luck,
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I've just been told my Fosamax D isn't working for me and I must get on
    Forteo pronto. My Anthem BcBs Insurance would not cover since it is a "new Brand name drug" insurance only covers generics. The Sales Rep. for Eli Lilly never mentioned a subsidy program to help either. Hummm. My charge for a 30 day supply was $716.55 without insurance.

My doc called insurance co. and I guess they are making an exception and will cover it. If it's like their coverage on my other drugs,,,they might shell out $75.00 to help offset the total $716.55. I'm really looking forward to
    this...wonder what all the side effects will be with this one? Arrrgghhh!

I seem to be saying "Arrrggghh" alot lately...I must be digressing...

Q
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Hi Q,

I contacted Eli Lilly at their 800 number and inquired about their assistance program. After a couple of transfers, someone came online and got my mailing address. They sent papers that I filled out and returned and I was accepted on their program, based on my income from the previous year. (It ended up costing my $12 per month.) It took about two months to complete everything.

Good luck,
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Wow...Millard...that is just super....knowing the cost of this stuff.
    I think I will call Lilly's myself since I haven't filled the doc "rx" yet
    and even if Anthem makes an exception and covers this Forteo, I
    know from using other Brand names they only discount from $50 to 75$
    and you pay the rest. Being on SSDI, even with $75 discount, $641.55
    is way ...way ...over my monthly budget. Thanks sooo much for the info!

Q

Well as I suspected...
    I called and ..
    Lily discontinued that program 12/05. Boohoo
    Called my CVS and asked the price of Forteo with the insurance's blessing...$640.95 for 28 days instead of the $716.39 (a $75 discount)whoopee!!

Being on SSDI, can't do that amount either! I guess I'll just sit here and fracture myself silly! Not much else can be done at this point. I was also informed Medicare which I qualify for in 5 months does not cover it, nor does Medicare D. What a cunundrum!!

Did you all have to take fosamax for two years, get a new bone density, show no change or worse before forteo was prescribed? Is that the way they do it? Forteo is not a first drug? Is that because it has more side effects? Or is it because it's more expensive. Just trying to educate myself. My Doc is not much help. Just follows my lead. Thanks, Lynne

Lynne, I had ct scan at my one yr. anniversary of (sci)by my neuro. He said I was making new bone around the birdcage at that time. He didn't seem all that interested at the time.

I also went to my obgyn and she wanted a bone density immediately, I think due to my age and injury. During all this time I'd been on Fosamax, then Fosamax D for about 6/7 months.

I just recently got another bone density and she called my home... said I needed to be on Forteo immediately.... because I am losing alot of bone density of the spine where I need it the most.

Since the Eli Lilly's assistance program was terminated 12/05, I am assuming Carl's paying a whooping amt for it even with co-pays and
    Millard was lucky to get in the program before it ended. He is probably
    "grandfathered" so can continue to get it until the two year time period ends. I'm going to check out Canada's prices....I know I should take it,
    or I'll be a sorry mess in just a few years. I never experienced any side
    effects from either Fosamax...nothing..nada

Jack,

Is it possible that if your bone scans show no change that Fosamax has succeeded in maintaining your present bone mineral density (BMD)? In other words, without it your BMD may have deteriorated. Perhaps the most we can expect from this regimen is maintaining the status quo.

From my recollection of past threads on this forum, I don't believe that any of the meds presently on the market, including Forteo, will reverse osteoporosis in SCIs unless it's coupled with an FES program that applies mechanical stress to the bones (weight bearing/passive standing alone is not sufficient).

There was a study published last summer (Back-to-back use of two drugs shows strong osteoporosis benefit) that Wise referenced that may offer a new approach for SCIs, but the study itself was normed on, of course, postmenopausal women.
    Last edited by stephen212; 07-12-2006 at 10:17 AM.