Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: suicide

I agree with Tim C 2016 has sucked. It seems you never hit bottom with this sci shit. I have been coping a little better but everyday is still s struggle. It sci never leaves you alone it just chews you up and spits you out everyday. I want a new spine for Christmas.

If i had hand function i'd never have suicidal thoughts...
    C5-C6 #quadlife

Quote Originally Posted by Denied2016 View Post
    Assisted should be legal for anyone of us who wants it. Shouldn't have to fight like hell to plead your case. Over population is already doing the planet such wonders. Most people don't use assisted once approved for it anyways. Not like it's an easy choice. Some due process would weed out the weary...But if you can't walk ever again, you piss and shit yourself, your sexual organs aren't really yours anymore (they're like your legs...they move!... but it has nothing to do with conscious thought and takes chemicals to control em) there should be a choice for when it gets tiresome. When enough is enough. But that'll never happen in my lifetime. Would be too comforting to have an option whilst digging through the SCI bullshit. Suck it up and deal with it. Here's your bag to urinate in...
    "suck it up and deal with it" is a term of hardening toughness, it does not belong in a situation in which you are cared,coddled and carried for every aspect of life. If you can suck it up and deal with it and handle the dirty work yourself, live independently as in over 24 hours on your own or more then yes such a term can be offered. Otherwise disregard it, The provider is a belligerent idiot Who almost certainly would never aspire for true strength because it's "not realistic".

However I totally disagree with you, assisted suicide should only be given to those that actually require assistance to die! If someone can hang themselves, open a pill bottle and or make the proper concoction, shoot themselves, cut themselves, be alone long enough and have the physical capabilities to throw themselves over an edge etc. etc. they do not qualify for assisted suicide. However if someone's only viable option is voluntarily starving to death, then they definitely deserve the option. But ESPECIALLY for those that are with us still, perfectly conscious and aware but unable to communicate or move anything other then maybe blinking and/or tongue clicking ( in some cases not even that) Who are fed intravenously through the rib cage, well they don't even have the "luxury" of choosing to starve they deserve assisted suicide most of all.

As for "depressed" able-bodied people and/or paraplegics, fuck off and do it yourself I have no time for that shit... this life can be beyond the capabilities of the word and definition of "cruel" it's just so few truly understand how far it can go, most ignorantly assume oh my God living in a Third World country or being in a war-torn area HA please, horrific situations no doubt but I would gladly throw myself into the pits of Syria right now with nothing but a T-shirt then live the way that I do, without a seconds hesitation. Any person that would rather remain in a stagnant life of in dignity and dependency rather then face such harsh conditions, well let's just say there a special kind of person " the OH so inspiring ones". Now as for the people with lock in syndrome caused by a number of different horrific conditions, I'm sure any person worth their salt would beg to switch to such a circumstances instead.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 01-09-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by legitsrs View Post
    If i had hand function i'd never have suicidal thoughts...
    I'm sure there's many millions of people that couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    As for "depressed" able-bodied people and/or paraplegics, fuck off and do it yourself I have no time for that shit... .
    You lack some serious empathy.

Seems that the reason other countries legalize assisted death is to prevent exactly this: People only having the option of doing it themselves. Either failing or doing it alone and leaving a mess for whoever finds them. There are probably many more failed attempts than successful ones. Failing can also leave a person in a worse condition afterwards. To me, it's more civilized to save the mess and have a legalized system that evaluates individually and provides help to those who desire it most.

Every serious condition out there has some who can live with it and some who can't. I'm definitely not in a place to compare circumstances to someone with less function, more medical issues and necessary dependence. So I won't. Death and life are very unique between everyone. Some are happy with a lot less than others have. For me and for a few countries overseas the line comes with an uncurable condition that causes suffering, pain, or death. That leaves a lot of room for inclusion. But also has a long process to approval. And most approved, do not use it. There is comfort in knowing you have an option during your suffering to end it without leaving a mess or making yourself worse. I believe after now knowing what a lifelong condition can do to and change about a person, that it shouldn't exclude anyone. An SCI is just one of the worst possible conditions humans can receive. But its level doesn't affect one person the same as another. It's a life changer, but some handle it a lot better than others.

I'm new to this, and it's taken most of the color and fun out of life. I'm sure it has for people with lower level injuries than mine. Or amputees. I'd trade places with so many people at this point, whereas before I only wanted what I had. But now that the physical movement and sensation are gone, it's a very difficult spot to be in. Things can always be worse, but this has been enough to break my heart and ambition. Still alive, but it has brought me to the lowest level I've ever been at. Hoping time will help

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    You lack some serious empathy.
    That's hilarious, of course I would feel bad for anyone that kills themselves. but I lack empathy because I don't think assisted suicide should be given to those that can easily do it themselves painlessly, and to argue otherwise is absolute bullshit??? Actually have quite a bit of empathy I guess you could say life has just raised my expectations to exhibit it, hearing about the stories of high quadriplegics resorting to months of starvation just to escape this undignified life literally changed me. It was that realization that made me go to my lawyer and make sure that if anything happens to me everything I have goes to spinal cord injury research.… it was those stories that got my head out of my own ass and made me realize how serious high complete quadriplegia is and how much of a blight on humanity it is!

And thinking about the people that are completely paralyzed only able to blink and click their tongue if that, keeps me up at night. Not just because I almost became one of them, but because I got to see what true suffering is firsthand and realize how many people live in such torment!

You know it's ironic I started a poll on here asking if people would still contribute to spinal cord injury research if it meant a cure for acute injuries was within sight, majority of people on here said they would not; and I lack empathy. I was nothing short of disgusted.…
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 01-14-2017 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denied2016 View Post
    Seems that the reason other countries legalize assisted death is to prevent exactly this: People only having the option of doing it themselves. Either failing or doing it alone and leaving a mess for whoever finds them. There are probably many more failed attempts than successful ones. Failing can also leave a person in a worse condition afterwards. To me, it's more civilized to save the mess and have a legalized system that evaluates individually and provides help to those who desire it most.

Every serious condition out there has some who can live with it and some who can't. I'm definitely not in a place to compare circumstances to someone with less function, more medical issues and necessary dependence. So I won't. Death and life are very unique between everyone. Some are happy with a lot less than others have. For me and for a few countries overseas the line comes with an uncurable condition that causes suffering, pain, or death. That leaves a lot of room for inclusion. But also has a long process to approval. And most approved, do not use it. There is comfort in knowing you have an option during your suffering to end it without leaving a mess or making yourself worse. I believe after now knowing what a lifelong condition can do to and change about a person, that it shouldn't exclude anyone. An SCI is just one of the worst possible conditions humans can receive. But its level doesn't affect one person the same as another. It's a life changer, but some handle it a lot better than others.

I'm new to this, and it's taken most of the color and fun out of life. I'm sure it has for people with lower level injuries than mine. Or amputees. I'd trade places with so many people at this point, whereas before I only wanted what I had. But now that the physical movement and sensation are gone, it's a very difficult spot to be in. Things can always be worse, but this has been enough to break my heart and ambition. Still alive, but it has brought me to the lowest level I've ever been at. Hoping time will help
    I think a more appropriate thing to do is for people at the age of 18 having to make a DNR mandatory. One that is very specific and outlines exactly what is too much or too little based on the individual. these DNR's should then be in the system so say the night of my accident, I come in in horrible condition barely responsive imaging shows horrific spinal damage and collapsed lungs etc. when they Scan my health card the DNR is easily accessible, and for me specifically states any condition which leaves me completely dependent, unable to live under my own free will and bound to undignified procedures, not only do not resuscitate but make sure I do not survive. So instead of jumping right into it they just ease and if necessary ensure my transition.

Someone that is perfectly healthy but "depressed" should not have easy access to assisted suicide that's ludicrous! The screw ups you talk about would happen anyways, because they happen when someone is having a fit and is completely irrational. This is still going to take place whether assisted suicide is there or not. Anyone with half a brain within a rational state of mind can effectively and cleanly and painlessly end their life as long as they have the physical capabilities to do the "set up". Also 90% of the time these people that are perfectly healthy, or close to it make these irrational attempts and survive they regretted it, euthanizeing is all too efficient, with this in mind.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 01-14-2017 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    I think a more appropriate thing to do is for people at the age of 18 having to make a DNR mandatory. One that is very specific and outlines exactly what is too much or too little based on the individual. these DNR's should then be in the system so say the night of my accident, I come in in horrible condition barely responsive imaging shows horrific spinal damage and collapsed lungs etc. when they Scan my health card the DNR is easily accessible, and for me specifically states any condition which leaves me completely dependent, unable to live under my own free will and bound to undignified procedures, not only do not resuscitate but make sure I do not survive. So instead of jumping right into it they just ease and if necessary ensure my transition.

Someone that is perfectly healthy but "depressed" should not have easy access to assisted suicide that's ludicrous! The screw ups you talk about would happen anyways, because they happen when someone is having a fit and is completely irrational. This is still going to take place whether assisted suicide is there or not. Anyone with half a brain within a rational state of mind can effectively and cleanly and painlessly end their life as long as they have the physical capabilities to do the "set up". Also 90% of the time these people that are perfectly healthy, or close to it make these irrational attempts and survive they regretted it, euthanizeing is all too efficient, with this in mind.
    Keep in mind that a DNR is primarily cardiac arrest and there are instances where you might not need CPR but have suffered an SCI. You need to prevent other medical treatment like ventilation and this is covered by a DNR in some hospitals/countries but not all. You might prefer to do an advance directive which specifically lists conditions/treatment you don't want to live with after diagnosis as well as a DNR. I'm already vented so my DNR only covers cardiac arrest or anyone finding me with vent disconnected and not breathing in which case do not reconnect. I've got advance directives which then clarify conditions I don't want to live in like losing the ability to communicate verbally, got no desire to be kept alive if that were to happen.

Depression is difficult to diagnose, I was prevented from having vent switched off after one of the two phycologists examining me decided I was depressed and hadn't been like this long enough, the other thought that I had capacity. I now talk openly about my desire to end things when I choose to demonstrate that were am not depressed when that time comes. I've already informed my GP and consultants that I will refuse medical treatment that requires an overnight stay in hospital and this is on my medical records. I have phycologist reports to state I have capacity whilst making that decision.

For DNR and advance directives you need to have capacity, I had a lawyer do mine whilst in a care home and he refused when I talked openly about suicide, before completing it he wanted a phycologist report confirming capacity!

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Keep in mind that a DNR is primarily cardiac arrest and there are instances where you might not need CPR but have suffered an SCI. You need to prevent other medical treatment like ventilation and this is covered by a DNR in some hospitals/countries but not all. You might prefer to do an advance directive which specifically lists conditions/treatment you don't want to live with after diagnosis as well as a DNR. I'm already vented so my DNR only covers cardiac arrest or anyone finding me with vent disconnected and not breathing in which case do not reconnect. I've got advance directives which then clarify conditions I don't want to live in like losing the ability to communicate verbally, got no desire to be kept alive if that were to happen.

Depression is difficult to diagnose, I was prevented from having vent switched off after one of the two phycologists examining me decided I was depressed and hadn't been like this long enough, the other thought that I had capacity. I now talk openly about my desire to end things when I choose to demonstrate that were am not depressed when that time comes. I've already informed my GP and consultants that I will refuse medical treatment that requires an overnight stay in hospital and this is on my medical records. I have phycologist reports to state I have capacity whilst making that decision.

For DNR and advance directives you need to have capacity, I had a lawyer do mine whilst in a care home and he refused when I talked openly about suicide, before completing it he wanted a phycologist report confirming capacity!
    Absolutely ridiculous, there is nothing even remotely irrational about your decision for god sake's amongst able-bodied people it's the general consensus they'd rather be dead than Live paralyzed from the neck down most just never bother making advanced directive's. And then after months even years kept alive against their will, they lack the commitment/balls to end it themselves as no matter how you do it it's no easy or "cowardly "task! When we look at elderly people even the ones that are dealt with hard hands such as disabilities and illnesses, they always cite being completely dependent as their limit and rightfully so! Everyone is in angreement their family their doctors it's all fine. but someone young ends up in a completely lifeless void of an existence, at best something predicated not only on the efforts but also the tolerance and schedule of others; oh God no you must LIVE by any means necessary lmfao. Hurt feelings and coping mechanisms aside the decision Makes total sense if anyone is going to be in that state there shouldn't even be any hoops to go through! "Depressed" no I'm kept alive mechanically, I have disgusting things done to me on a daily basis and I can't even fucking scratch my own face, I have no dignity no freedom and no privacy: cased closed. Most at least half well minded people will totally understand and will be able to listen and relate and agree ultimately. I find the kind of people that are in the medical field, that can't even remotely talk about this subject extremely weak and they try and put a diagnosis to it without doing any kind of interaction/communication because it's just too dark and gloomy for them to handle incredibly weak incredibly! I also think there is a psychological problem going on with doctors that find complete solace in leaving a patient as a prisoner in their own body with lock in syndrome,rotting away with disease, or similar disabilities to you or I and it's perfectly fine just continue to keep them on the cusp of existence, have someone handle every thing even the dirty details for them make them comfortable a.k.a. drug them and good job then they go golfing, or back to their party it's all good. But somehow they think they'll lose sleep over giving these people with no life, nothing remotely comparable to what a standard human being calls life trapped in complete isolation, illness, indignity etc. and can't offer them The only option of peace we have available??,that's just out of the question! In some fucked up way they may find the choice justified of merit even liberating, but in reality that's quite disturbing if you really think about it.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 01-16-2017 at 10:23 AM.