Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: suicide

suicide

how long post-injury do suicidal thoughts stop?

This is an extremely general question.
    Just remember that plenty of people walk up and jump of bridges.
    Just because we are paralysed,doesn't mean we have cornered the market on topping ourselves.

I have never had suicidal thoughts, thank God. What is your injury level and how long has it been since your injury. Believe me, the first year is really rough, then you gradually begin to adjust and measure life by new standards. I actually lead a busy and happy life. Don´t ever lose hope.

You'll have good and bad moments as long as you live so I don't think suicidal thoughts ever permanently go away if you have them.

They get to be less and less over time but like Todd said, If you have them they're never going to go away completely. The important thing is not to ACT on them! The only thing you can do is wait it out for better days because they will come.
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply
    how long post-injury do suicidal thoughts stop?
    For me the first 3 years were the worst.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

How long have you been in treatment?
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    You'll have good and bad moments as long as you live so I don't think suicidal thoughts ever permanently go away if you have them.

Yeah, what Todd said. Kudos for wanting the thoughts to end instead of your life.
    Death and taxes

I disagree - I think the suicidal thoughts should go away when some sort of adjustment is made to the injury and/or depression goes away.

My grief lasted 2 years after the accident but I've had some bouts of depression since which may or may not be related to the injury. Strangely I wasn't suicidal after my accident but I did feel hopeless at times.

If you have strong suicidal feelings it may be wise to be treated for depression as a safety precaution.

I agree that SCI's don't hold a patent on suicidal ideation. AB's knock themselves off daily and they CAN walk. If you think your depression is related to your SCI, meaning you didn't have suicidal thoughts prior to your injury then it's probably situational and you should see a rehab. counselor. If you had these thoughts pre SCI and generally have poor coping skills, it may be chemical related and you should be evaluated by a psychiatrist.