Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: suicide

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    You've got a valid reason to feel like crap.

What I didn't hear in your response was a valid reason not to try and feel better.
    Literally this is standard fucking protocol statement! This is exactly the kind of stuff they recycle and regurgitate in rehab to indoctrinate a "coping environment", those people are doing a disservice! Instead of preaching one-liners and pathetic reverse psychology, why not try and build a army to address a situation that needs to be remedied immediately! create a fortitude of fuck the impossible and fuck coping and accommodating such a disgusting lifestyle! Let's fix it.

Nope... wonder why I'am misanthropic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Denied, there are now therapies that restore function, a big difference from when I was injured 21 years ago.
    Jim, why don't YOU tell all of us what functions these therapies are restoring now since you made the statement?
    please tell us who got these functions restored?

Alan;
    Good to see you still plucking; you got resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Alan;
    Good to see you still plucking; you got resolve.
    That's what my shrink says. I don't agree. I say I'm still around as I don't have any other option (not that I make use of the other option if I had one, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.) I think if I was coping as well that she thinks I am, I would have more of a life, like you all, and less dependence. Whatever, I'm here. I don't have the independence to find my way to one of the city's lousy neighborhoods and become one of its many murder victims.

Sometime this month, I'll have my annual cervical MRI. It will be compared to previous scans, and no change will be observed, as happens every year. My little syrinxes will be there, unchanged.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Literally this is standard fucking protocol statement! This is exactly the kind of stuff they recycle and regurgitate in rehab to indoctrinate a "coping environment", those people are doing a disservice! Instead of preaching one-liners and pathetic reverse psychology, why not try and build a army to address a situation that needs to be remedied immediately! create a fortitude of fuck the impossible and fuck coping and accommodating such a disgusting lifestyle! Let's fix it.

Nope... wonder why I'am misanthropic.
    If that is a one liner, it's a good one.

If someone says they're really depressed and suicidal, but at the same time declines psychotherapy and antidepressants they are not making a logical choice. These two treatments are proven to improve depression regardless of the cause. So unless you enjoy being depressed there's no reason not to give them a shot. Like I said a few posts before the one you quoted, if you're not killing yourself tonight you should be in the doctor's office on monday asking for zoloft and a referral.

It's like someone complaining that they have high blood pressure and not doing anything about it. Regardless of why your blood pressure is high exercise and drugs will improve it. If you choose to reject those options but still want to complain about your high blood pressure you're making an illogical choice and maybe you should think about the reasons why you are making that illogical choice.

If that is a one liner, it's a good one.

If someone says they're really depressed and suicidal, but at the same time declines psychotherapy and antidepressants they are not making a logical choice. These two treatments are proven to improve depression regardless of the cause. So unless you enjoy being depressed there's no reason not to give them a shot. Like I said a few posts before the one you quoted, if you're not killing yourself tonight you should be in the doctor's office on monday asking for zoloft and a referral.

It's like someone complaining that they have high blood pressure and not doing anything about it. Regardless of why your blood pressure is high exercise and drugs will improve it. If you choose to reject those options but still want to complain about your high blood pressure you're making an illogical choice and maybe you should think about the reasons why you are making that illogical choice.
    I'm not depressed and consider suicide all the time. Based upon my experience with psychologists I would not bother wasting my time talking to one again, they need something to sort themselves out. Drugs? I was on citalopram for about a month, every photo taken during that time I'm smiling, in the 55 years preceding that you'd be lucky to find a couple of photos with me smiling. It wasn't me when I was taking it, it was a drugged up pseudo me, not who I am. I'd rather be me with the issues I have, knowing that the trip to Lifecircle in Switzerland will be booked when I want than something I am not in a chemically induced alter ego. Considering suicide does not mean you are depressed, you might just realise that continuing living in a totally broken body with no pleasurable moments isn't for you. That is from a C3 complete and vented quad, a lower level of injury might be different.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I was on citalopram for about a month, every photo taken during that time I'm smiling, in the 55 years preceding that you'd be lucky to find a couple of photos with me smiling. It wasn't me when I was taking it, it was a drugged up pseudo me, not who I am.
    One month generally isn't enough time for an SSRI like citalopram to start working on the receptors in your brain. If you were smiling and happy and feeling drugged out during that time it is overwhelmingly more likely that you were experiencing a placebo effect because someone told you the medication was going to make you happy and you thought it would make you "drugged out". In my experience with hundreds of people on SSRIs (as well as myself) it does not make you feel "drugged out" or that you are not yourself.

Also while I agree it doesn't sound like you are depressed, it also doesn't sound like you are suicidal. A reassuring knowledge that you can end your life if and when you feel the need is far different than hoarding pills because you plan to overdose on Thursday or buying a gun because you're ready to die.

*edit* also SSRIs don't make you happy. Not being depressed is way different than making you happy. Cocaine and heroin make you happy... for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    That's what my shrink says. I don't agree. I say I'm still around as I don't have any other option (not that I make use of the other option if I had one, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.) I think if I was coping as well that she thinks I am, I would have more of a life, like you all, and less dependence. Whatever, I'm here. I don't have the independence to find my way to one of the city's lousy neighborhoods and become one of its many murder victims.

Sometime this month, I'll have my annual cervical MRI. It will be compared to previous scans, and no change will be observed, as happens every year. My little syrinxes will be there, unchanged.
    Alan, I'd be touring that neighborhood in my powerchair or "hood" as soon as the weather broke, target practice maybe, but at least it's not you fumbling about to try it yourself, you need hands.

One month generally isn't enough time for an SSRI like citalopram to start working on the receptors in your brain. If you were smiling and happy and feeling drugged out during that time it is overwhelmingly more likely that you were experiencing a placebo effect because someone told you the medication was going to make you happy and you thought it would make you "drugged out". In my experience with hundreds of people on SSRIs (as well as myself) it does not make you feel "drugged out" or that you are not yourself.

Also while I agree it doesn't sound like you are depressed, it also doesn't sound like you are suicidal. A reassuring knowledge that you can end your life if and when you feel the need is far different than hoarding pills because you plan to overdose on Thursday or buying a gun because you're ready to die.

*edit* also SSRIs don't make you happy. Not being depressed is way different than making you happy. Cocaine and heroin make you happy... for the moment.
    I can assure you it was the drugs, I've got enough experience with recreational drugs to know when something is having an effect. I'd say that it took less than a week for me to begin to notice it. Maybe not drugged up but a sense of being more upbeat and positive, not in the way ecstasy impacts but similar feelings toned down. A strange experience anyway but it wouldn't be a drug to take for fun.

It is rather weird as I consider booking my trip to Lifecircle at some point every day, I'm not lucky enough to have any hand use to open sodium nembutal, mix it and drink without assistance thus putting my wife or anyone who helps at risk of prosecution. If I did have hand use I would of done it by now. As it takes so much planning to go to Switzerland and the pain it would put my wife through driving 1000 miles home without me it is a last resort. I'm now just letting my body make the call, I've got DNR's and advance directives which prevent any life saving measures, prevent me being taken in to an A&E or any hospital and require my vent switching off if I suffer a stroke or oxygen starvation to my brain. I'll not consider that suicide it is just my body giving up and not letting the medical lunatics impose their duty of care and not listening to what I consider their duty of care to be. Hopefully I will die at home surrounded by family and pets which is how an assisted suicide should be. If it all does become too much with day after day internal battles with myself I'll take the AS option, my family know my reasons and accept that existing with a broken body is not what I want. That in itself brings comfort but it should be available from doctors to anyone with mental capacity and ability to express what they want. Therein lies another problem though, I was told when first injured that if I chose to they would switch my vent off, spent 4 months debating with myself and asked for it switching off. They then brought 2 psychologists in, 1 hr exam by each and 1 concluded that I did not have capacity to switch my vent off. Evidently I hadn't had long enough to adjust! 4 years on I still want the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I can assure you it was the drugs, I've got enough experience with recreational drugs to know when something is having an effect. I'd say that it took less than a week for me to begin to notice it. Maybe not drugged up but a sense of being more upbeat and positive, not in the way ecstasy impacts but similar feelings toned down. A strange experience anyway but it wouldn't be a drug to take for fun.

It is rather weird as I consider booking my trip to Lifecircle at some point every day, I'm not lucky enough to have any hand use to open sodium nembutal, mix it and drink without assistance thus putting my wife or anyone who helps at risk of prosecution. If I did have hand use I would of done it by now. As it takes so much planning to go to Switzerland and the pain it would put my wife through driving 1000 miles home without me it is a last resort. I'm now just letting my body make the call, I've got DNR's and advance directives which prevent any life saving measures, prevent me being taken in to an A&E or any hospital and require my vent switching off if I suffer a stroke or oxygen starvation to my brain. I'll not consider that suicide it is just my body giving up and not letting the medical lunatics impose their duty of care and not listening to what I consider their duty of care to be. Hopefully I will die at home surrounded by family and pets which is how an assisted suicide should be. If it all does become too much with day after day internal battles with myself I'll take the AS option, my family know my reasons and accept that existing with a broken body is not what I want. That in itself brings comfort but it should be available from doctors to anyone with mental capacity and ability to express what they want. Therein lies another problem though, I was told when first injured that if I chose to they would switch my vent off, spent 4 months debating with myself and asked for it switching off. They then brought 2 psychologists in, 1 hr exam by each and 1 concluded that I did not have capacity to switch my vent off. Evidently I hadn't had long enough to adjust! 4 years on I still want the same thing!
    I only read this post of yours but I have big-time respect for you. Just the recognition of the medical professionals alone is dead on. No pun.