Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: suicide

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    You're a sinner, huh?
    For being a para, not quad/
    who is anyone to judge an sci.
    Suspect this person is considered a "sinner" by their family because they are gay, not due to their SCI.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by river61 View Post
    I've not felt this depressed in a long time. I'm a T-4 para with severe rheumatoid arthritis, my hands are in constant pain, the meds aren't working any longer and I waiting for approval to get on a different med that might help. Add to that the constant worry about money. I retired from my job as a counselor because of the rheumatoid, my partner works a shit job part time, we're barely making it. My family wants nothing to do with us because we're sinners in their eyes, my friends don't have accessible homes nor the inclination to make their homes accessible, we literally have no money for Taco Bell much less going out with friends. I'm staying alive because I haven't found a quick way out (no guns please) and my dog would be very upset without me, i guess that's something.
    Are you on a pension from your employer? SSDI or SS only income? Are you in Section 8 housing? On food stamps? Medicaid? Medicare? Not clear what about rheumatoid arthritis would interfere with your ability to continue work as a counselor, perhaps with a different employer, but note on your profile that you retired in 2000, so what has changed recently?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Suspect this person is considered a "sinner" by their family because they are gay, not due to their SCI.

(KLD)
    This day and age, seriously ?
    Literally every female couple I've encountered have relationships so stable, so committed that I actually envy them. I truly admire them, for sure they put most heteros to shame.
    Gay men I think as well, though gay men tend, in my own observation, to not assimmulate with the hetero community as much, and therefore maybe there's more tension as the result(?)
    I also guess I'm baffled about the whole guy/guy thing, not being the fairer sex and all, but ultimately it's to each his/her own, not for me to call out . Anyway > off topic here.

The topic here is SUICIDE;
    I know it can't be discussed here on these forums.
    It's not exactly a proper category on a "LIFE" category. Yet, who severely sci hasn't thought about it in some fashion?
    It sure doesn't take a Poll to ask who, if posed the question pre-sci, if faced with prospect of having to live life as a Complete C4-5 or worse (just random level) v. not living thru the trauma (I know there sadly are many horrible ways of becoming paralyzed)
    they would have said they'd rather not live?
    Who hasn't heard from the AB that you are so "strong' "brave" "determined" to be sci and be surviving so long?
    Who hasn't heard that it's all part of God's plan?
    OR< How you must be a special person to survive?
    OR< God chose this for you because he knew you had the inner strength.
    OR< God has his reasons for your surviving, it just hadn't been revealed yet?
    OR< Your family needs you.
    OR < You really can't feel this?
    OR< (Finally) Didn't that superman actor have this?
    At least you're not as bad as him.
    Yeah, haven't heard about him lately, is he still alive?
    Oh, my god, stop alreadfy....

AFAIK suicide can be discussed here, what can't is a how to do it in detail. Sad really as I know from posts on SCI facebook groups that many go through it and want to know the options but few of the peer network support services touch on it.

I do find it frustrating when lower level paras enter a debate on it, living with a high level break is totally different.

And please leave god out of it, whichever fairy tale version you decide is the "true" one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    AFAIK suicide can be discussed here, what can't is a how to do it in detail. Sad really as I know from posts on SCI facebook groups that many go through it and want to know the options but few of the peer network support services touch on it.

I do find it frustrating when lower level paras enter a debate on it, living with a high level break is totally different.

And please leave god out of it, whichever fairy tale version you decide is the "true" one.

So far we?ve been told (by folks with suicide ideation) in this thread to:

- Leave guns out of it

- Leave God out of it

- Leave paraplegics out of it

In reverse order:

- Nobody thinks being a high quad vs a para are close to the same things. That doesn’t mean high quads have some kind of monopoly on the topic of suicide. Certainly not on the point of whether or not it’s a valid topic at a place dedicated to Caring for (and Curing) the living.

- Heaven forbid anyone find a reason to live, even if it is a fantasy.

- If someone’s life isn’t SO miserable that it hasn’t even surpassed their fear of guns, or of leaving a mess, I find it incredibly unlikely it is SO miserable that it has authentically surpassed their fear of death/survival instincts. Guns are ideal tools for ending a life. Obviously. It?s their one job. Insisting on avoiding them belies an inauthenticity to the desire IMO.

Seriously, if anyone really wants to kill themselves, if they really want to die, if life has become so miserable that it overcomes their survival instinct, then they should be (and feel) free do it. It is our natural right to dispose of (or live) our lives. Period.

But, equally seriously, all the excuse making and qualifications posited in this thread strike me as little more than a circle jerk of misery and enabling.

Do it, or don’t. Get help, or don’t. Either way, this site isn’t the right place for either, IMO. There is real legal liability in helping someone commit suicide, and there is real expertise necessary to counsel someone teetering on the edge. This place doesn’t need to former and doesn’t have the latter.
    Last edited by Oddity; 10-30-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Encoding issues with single quotes
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Without going into the full post you made your lack of understanding of what a high level quad can do sums up your ignorance of the subject. I can't pick up a gun, can't do anything to stop living other than starve myself to death. Ask anyone to help me and they will be prosecuted. Suicide gets a little bit difficult given that. I do have the option of assisted suicide in Switzerland but even then need help getting there or risk those who do assist being prosecuted.

You are welcome to your views but when it is something you have no experience of probably best to think it through before typing.

Switzerland, huh. And such a beautiful country at that. Maybe we can start a suicide tourism business. "See the Alps then roll up to a voice commanded suicide machine. No refunds"
    Last edited by Tim C.; 10-30-2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typo

Switzerland, huh. And such a beautiful country at that. Maybe we can start a suicide tourism business. "See the Alps then roll up to a voice commanded suicide machine. No refunds"
    No repeat customers though.

Promoted in the film "Me Before You". http://www.dignitas.ch/index.php?lang=en

(KLD)

The Swiss laws on Assisted suicide are interesting in comparison to other European options but you will need local doctors to document your condition first or go there for initial consultation . What is even more interesting is the number of people who start the procedure and get to the "green light" of approval.They use it as the safety net knowing if life turns to shit they have the option so maybe a tourism business could work There are two options, Dignitas as mentioned and Lifecircle, slightly different pricing structure and membership both with the same result and different final views of the Alps. Actually a tourism business would be viable, many wanting to use the service provided worry about loved ones being prosecuted and this could solve that although asking about it in forums where discussion on suicide is acceptable they might find members who can point them to the relevant bits of legislation so that they can research themselves. Which for me is one of the key aspects of allowing suicide discussion, allowing people the opportunity to do their own research and come to their own decision plus if someone is discussing it they obviously haven't committed suicide yet have probably considered it.