Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: suicide

Sadly here in the UK it's the disability campaigners who fight against assisted suicide fearing it will lead to euthanasia in an effort to save costs of care. Some people are happy in their own pig shit life and think others should do the same without understanding that not everyone can find happiness. The medical profession is no better playing God keeping people alive just because they can, using their duty of care statement whenever questioned about it. We can argue all we like on the forum but it isn't going to change anything, between the disability campaigners, the medical profession and religious idiots it becomes impossible to effect change. We just gotta suck it up until finally we get an illness that allows us to refuse treatment and exit painfully. Hopefully I can avoid that, my district nurse team has already indicated that they will respect my wishes and do what they can to make me comfortable. That's about as good as it gets unless I go to Dignitas or Lifecircle in Switzerland and make my family suffer that, a family who fully understand and respect my decision, well, they would given the number of times I begged my wife to switch off the vent! No-one should have to do that.

On this topic and paralysis, I just recently read of Rhonda Rousey's father. He broke his back in a sledding accident and ended up becoming paraplegic...took his own life as a result. There was also a blood disorder that also could have led to him to being quadriplegic in the future. Sad to read, especially since she was very young when she lost her dad. Someone's death does and always will hurt those loved ones left behind. Yet in some conditions people cannot find happiness.

I don't know much else of the story, but understand his desperation more than ever. Thinking of this injury for the rest of my days on earth is painful. Distractions and finding any comfort or peace seems to be the only workable answer for now...because the more I think of the future being paralyzed, the harder it is to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Sadly here in the UK it's the disability campaigners who fight against assisted suicide fearing it will lead to euthanasia in an effort to save costs of care. Some people are happy in their own pig shit life and think others should do the same without understanding that not everyone can find happiness. The medical profession is no better playing God keeping people alive just because they can, using their duty of care statement whenever questioned about it. We can argue all we like on the forum but it isn't going to change anything, between the disability campaigners, the medical profession and religious idiots it becomes impossible to effect change. We just gotta suck it up until finally we get an illness that allows us to refuse treatment and exit painfully. Hopefully I can avoid that, my district nurse team has already indicated that they will respect my wishes and do what they can to make me comfortable. That's about as good as it gets unless I go to Dignitas or Lifecircle in Switzerland and make my family suffer that, a family who fully understand and respect my decision, well, they would given the number of times I begged my wife to switch off the vent! No-one should have to do that.
    I despise those "disability campaigners", who think they speak for the disabled people and frankly make A mockery of us especially when it comes to spinal cord injury. Anyways it's as if they think assisted suicide gets past, and then the country becomes Nazi Germany and people with disabilities are taken by force and euthanized!! It's completely preposterous and it just shows how desperate, delusional and fragile they are. "Oh but maybe families and insurance companies might make light gestures to slowly influence their decision to kill themselves" Newsflash: even if that bullshit does take place, a disabled person is not an infant and In most cases is completely able to remove themselves from such situations. We cannot out right deny The choice of a dignified solution for many people in such horrific and catastrophic conditions just to protect the fragility and "what ifs" of others...

It's ludicrous, assisted suicide gets passed becomes legal then the few people that have the conviction and the individuality that is not suited to live disable have the choice. The other group of people that want to live disabled, are just as free to do so and just as many people are going to encourage and complement them going "oh you're such an inspiration" and just as many people are going to discriminate against them because of their disability for whatever reason. A very very tiny almost nonexistent portion of people are going to go "hey it's legal why are you dead yet" but guess what they're the same kind of people that even when it's not past I going to say your face "I'd rather be dead than live like you, you just leech off of others it's pathetic ID find a way out". So there's no logic behind the argument against assisted suicide in fact it's quite cavalier and patronizing towards disabled people.

Wishing to die in my sleep still hasn't worked, obviously.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Keep the death wish coming Alan. Time will grant you this.

i have been having suicidal thoughts for a few months now. This is hard admitting it to anyone. i have been having rapid muscle strength loss in my left side in the last month which is making my depression worse. the anxiety of these thoughts is really wearing on me.

Gree seed, I take it you're new to all this?

Lots of mixed feelings. Love Alan and Graybeard above just poking at it. We all think it. Sometimes we laugh, sometimes we cry. Sometimes we get a good night's sleep and have a better day. I'm a big believer in the right to choose. Mine is,"I wish a jet would fall on the house." Husband says,"Hey! What about me?!" For what it's worth, my daughter has been doing medical research for the past two years at an MIT/Harvard cooperative lab and she says the five-year horizon really is no longer bullshit. The expanse of computing power is now so extraordinary that things really can move much more quickly. I'm going to try to wait.

Rusty, i have been injured c6/7 complete since 07. So not new to sci but these recurring suicidal thoughts are relatively new. i was in bed for 4 months last fall and then when i recovered from that i started having muscle weakness on my left side which has gotten worse rapidly. i had suicidal thoughts when i was first injured and on occasion since but lately is the closest ive been to actually acting on them cuz i cant shake the depression and anxiety...

With an SCI I think it's perfectly rational to think about. So much of my happiness before the injury came with thoughts and dreams of the future. Always enjoyed the moment as best as i could, but looking down the road amplified it and brought beautiful thoughts. With being paralyzed those dreams are either destroyed or fractionalized. The future looks like a nightmare now and the day to day shit reinforces that. You get fed up. Bowel, bladder, can't feel your genitals...can't walk. Your mind gets sick of this shit. And it's forever. Til we die. So I think the suicidal thoughts are a mind's defense mechanism. To me it seems normal. It's a way out of this nonsense. I'm sure everyone who's been paralyzed has thought of it one way or another...and some actually do it. This injury is horrendous, I don't blame them ​