Thread: Post Bladder Augmentation

Post Bladder Augmentation

I had a bladder augmentation on March 16. Things went fairly well other than being so weak I was back to using a walker instead of my cane, but a week of inpatient PT at U of M fixed that. Luckily for me I have decreased sensation in my abdomen area so I felt very little pain.

Except for where the JP drain was. They removed the drain almost 2 weeks ago and the incision itself has healed nicely on the outside, but now when I move my leg a certain way I get this horrible ripping feeling from that area. It is even sore to touch going down about an inch under that small incision. Is this normal? Could there be something wrong? The incision from the actual procedure doesn't hurt at all and neither does the area around the suprapubic catheter. Why is that small incision hurting so much? (They cut the main incision along my c-section scar and the jp incision is about an inch below on the right end of that incision)

I have both the sp catheter and a foley catheter. My dr said to clean the bags with 50/50 water and vinegar. What is the best method of cleaning the bags? I've been using a syringe to shoot the solution into the bags, but that takes forever. Is there an easier way?
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03

Have you talked with your surgeon about this pain? It may be nothing, but you should call him/her and talk with them about what was done at the drain site, what you are feeling, and see if they want to see you.

Bleach is much better for cleaning bags. We recommend (based on a number of research studies) a 10% solution of bleach and water. Vinegar actually can help some bacteria grow (pseudomonas especially). Wear exam gloves. The bleach solution should be mixed fresh each time you use it.

• Mix your bleach solution (an old urinal works well for this).
    • Drain the urine.
    • Attach a funnel to the inflow tube of the bag using a short length of rubber tubing.
    • Fill the bag 1/3-1/2 full with tap water.
    • Shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
    • Drain water into the toilet.
    • Repeat.
    • Fill the bag 1/3-1/2 full of the 10% bleach solution.
    • Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
    • Drain into the toilet.
    • Remove the funnel and tubing.
    • Wrap the bag in a clean dry towel. Do not cap the tubing.
    • Place in a basin and lay the funnel and urinal on top. Cover with another towel.
    • Store someplace where you can be sure children and animals won't get into your equipment.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 04-09-2006 at 06:36 PM.