Thread: Harrington Rods vs the Birdcage

Harrington Rods vs the Birdcage

I'm a burst L#1 and curious as to how many low level injuries in CC like mine, only got the Birdcage installed.

On my fifth neuro visit, the doc made a suggestion that I should think about getting the rods put in...I declined, of course.

Can you bend at the waist yet? Sort of touch your toes? Just had some
    questions.

Queen
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Queen,

I've got titanium screws and plates in my back. Is this a birdcage? From the x-rays it looks like a [ where the top and bottom part of the [ are screws in my T12 and L2 and I think it's rods in between.

From seated position, I can bend at the waist and touch my toes.

Daniel
    Daniel

The decision of what hardware to put in after a spinal fracture is very complex, with much biomechanical research done to test different techniques. Here is some information about the cage:

http://www.ortho-spine.com/content/s...ge_111501.html

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...ticle1523.html

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/s...mb09_cage.html

A cage is generally needed when the entire body of the vertebrae is fractured or destroyed. Harrington rods would be insufficient in such a case. They are sometimes combined.

(KLD)

Wow, Thanks SCI Nurse, always wondered after I coming in here there was talk of harrington rods for L#1, I guess it was Solarscar. And from that I always wondered why I didn't have them in me since we were the same level.

In viewing the above links, my cage looks completely different so they must have more "models" available...mine resembles a car cigarette lighter and I wondered why I never heard mention of Harringtons til I came here.

Marsha, I got the cage in at T 12 with a plate and 4 screws fused from T11 to L1
    Doug

There's what about 40 or 50 Spinal Instrumentation packages available now? Its a wonder that Harringtons are even mentioned let alone used. Harrington is early 60's technology isn't it? Sorry if this a thread hijack. I'm just wondering if people are using the term "Harrington Rods" as a generic term for all spinal instrumentation.

Duge, if someone held you from the back around the waist to help with your balance can you bend and touch your toes yet? I feel a pull when I try. Don't know if it's the muscles stretching or the parts (screws, plates) pulling but it's uncomfortable still. And I certainly don't want to pull those
    screws out no way shape or form...No No..

It will be two years May 20, I'd think I have sufficient bone growth around it by now to make it safe to do, I'm just still such a chicken to
    keep trying once I feel that "pulling" feeling! Don't want to dislodge it.

That's ok, canuck, it's relative to the thread..I think.
    Queen

No I can't bend over that far, there is just a stiff place there in my back, I can't turn around and look like I use to either. I can hold onto my cane and reach over and pick something up off the ground but I'm bending my knees when I do it.
    My Dr told me the first 6 months is when most of the bone re-grows so the bone should be there, but I went back this last Nov, "3 yr ch up" and he told me my fushion was finished
    Doug