Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manual chairs for dummies.

Manual chairs for dummies.

I just got approved to recieve funding for a brand spankin new lightweight manual chair, and I'm super excited, but worried at the same time about the choices I'll be making in the weeks ahead.

Reasonably fresh in my injury, I know little or nothing about manual chair specifics, much less brand specifications. Unfortunately, the same guy/company will be doing my evaluation for my manual chair that did the evaluation for the power chair I never wanted.

He and I get along well, but he's pretty young and fresh to the 'scene'. I know some of you are die hard fans of one brand or another- but what I'm looking for are mistakes you made early in the game... or questions you didn't know to ask until it was too late... that might help me- or others making their first manual chair purchase.

Thanks in advance.
    Feisty
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Hi Feisty, I am pretty new at this myself and had may of the same concerns as you when choosing a chair. What I did was order one of the most adjustable chairs I could find, a Ti Lite ZRA. I don't know much about the other brands but I am very pleased with this chair. I figure after I ride around in this one and play around with the adjustments I will find what I like and don't like in a chair which should make my next purchase eaiser and more informed. Good luck and I hope you end up with a chair that you are happy with.
    -Bake

my first choice was a disaster.... Now I am using a Colours Spazz.. Very happy with it.. For me, rather than the brand, the adjustments are important ( as long as the chair is light and small)

ok, my question is why was your first chair a disaster?

I don't want this to turn into a label war as to which brand is better than the other, there are tons of other threads for that that I can look up.

What questions do you wish you woulda asked before you made your chair choice?
    Last edited by feisty; 04-06-2006 at 01:59 AM.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

My first chair was a disaster because it was to wide by an inch,(i like a snug fit)...It was to tall (floor to seat height) i couldnt pick things up off the ground and i couldnt fit my knees under some tables.

For your first chair i would look for ''light'' and ''adjustability'' as fb1907 mentioned.Then when they get the width,you can adjust your back angle and dump and so forth...Width and height are what i make sure about these days.

Difference in hand rims really surprised me. In Rehab I used uncoated hand rims, and thought I liked them. Then I used the loaner chair for 3 months that had coated rims. When mine arrived, I realized I hated using a full grip on the uncoated vs the palm/thumb grip on the coated. I am planning on trying the natural-fit hand rims http://www.3rivers.com/naturalfitintro2.php

Oh, and I posted another thread on this, but plan to spend some time adjusting your wheelchair when you get it. Mine was set up as though a three year old who couldn't read instructions did it. A couple hours later, it was much better, but I'm still waiting on getting a standard open wrench set so that I can take the spacers off the camber tube.

Oh, speaking of camber, I read somewhere that as a rule of thumb, each degree of camber on your wheels make the chair take up an extra inch of width, so keep that in mind too.

-- JB

The Natural Fit handrims are WONDERFUL!!!! They've saved my thumbs from being bent backwards more than I can even imagine...I do believe they have a satisfaction guarantee policy too, if i remember correctly....

just my .02 on that
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Man...... Get an A4 Ti. Finally read the owners manul and you can easily adjust your dump, and back rest angle, stupid theropists didnt even know how to do this.

This means you can change up wheel size and caster size and still keep your angles the same. Play with the backrest angle, which you'll probably not no what u really need coming out of the p/w chair, cause i didn't and theyrre much different. Play with your dump and get seated as you want.

One thing you should get is spinergy's, and if the insurance is paying, get everything, Push handles, anti-tips, arm rests. You can take them off if you dont end up using them, but are expensive to get after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    The Natural Fit handrims are WONDERFUL!!!! They've saved my thumbs from being bent backwards more than I can even imagine...I do believe they have a satisfaction guarantee policy too, if i remember correctly....

just my .02 on that
    Yes, but they are not ment for quads at all

The Natural Fit Hand Rims were developed by a guy that sucked $200,000 out of the NIH budget for development funding. It shouldn't have taken more than $5,000 to create those things.

I recently picked up a Quickie Ti. I've been cruising a Ti Cross Sport for the last 3 years. I much prefer the Ti Cross Sport. The front casters are a little farther forward so when you scoot to the front of the seat to get out of the chair it doesn't tip forward like the Quickie Ti does. I almost fell on my butt transferring from the Quickie Ti to my shower bench when it tipped.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson