Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: my son recently paralyzed

I was injured in a car accident in October with a burst fracture at L1. I think moving the big toe is a great thing (I still can't). If he's incomplete at this early in the game, it means better chances of further improvements.

I think I have the screws and rods fusion between T12-L2.

I am currently ambulating with a quad (4 point) cane and continue to try to improve through therapy.
    Daniel

Thank you 05survivor -- It really makes me feel alot better just talking to other people and knowing that my son and I aren't alone -- Thank you so much for praying for him, I know that prayers have gotten him this far

dan nc -- that is so great that you are ambulating with a cane -- i know that my son will continue to improve and be as far along as you are in 6 months -- thanks for your reply

Shelley,

My injury is much higher then your son's, but, in my opinion, I experienced a very "cookie-cutter" approach to rehabilitation and recovery post spinal cord injury which was a great diservice. I received my most helpful information from talking to others with injuries and via the Internet than I ever did with the "care team" assigned to me. Their expectation of me was that I would be would be permanently vent dependent and require the use of a head array or sip n' puff wheelchair for mobility. In fact, one physician actually told me I was doing a great harm to my family, in particular, my two daughters, if I didn't just accept that fact, learn how to use a head array to drive my chair, and go home and live my life accordingly. He told me there was no way I was ever going to be able to do anything but that. I wound up firing him, but that's another story. Anyway, to make a long story short, I ignored him. I currently drive a power chair using a joystick and am able to push myself in a manual chair approximately 170 ft. on a flat surface and in a straight-line. I'm not on a ventilator and I have fantastic trunk control.

Based on this, my message to you is this:

Trust your instincts, research on your own, take what the "professionals" say with a grain of salt and tell your son to work hard and dream big. Don't let anyone take that away from him or you. In my book, there is no such concept as "false hope". Rather, aim high -- you have no idea what you can achieve. Shoot for the stars, if your son only makes it to the moon that is still quite an achievement. Above all -- remember this journey is a marathon, and not a sprint.

Best wishes,

Susan

PS(I did wind up finding a physical therapist who dared to go against traditional dogma and help me achieve my goal of driving with a joystick. She was fantastic)

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley0064
    hi -- my son is in the Navy and was in a car accident on 2/24/06 -- he is currently in rehab in the VA hospital -- he has an L1 L2 break with pins and rods -- his back surgery was on 3/7/06 -- his spinal cord injury is incomplete -- what are his chances of walking? the doctors are very skeptical, but i have been told that they prepare you for the worst, but hope for the best -- this has been very devastating to me, but he is dealing with it alot better than I am -- any input from this forum would be very much appreciated. shelley
    Hello, Shelley, I am sorry to hear about your son. How "incomplete" is your son? Does he have anal sensation and the ability to contract his anal sphincter voluntarily?

Wise.

no, he is having to do bowel care and he still has a foley catheter -- actually, yesterday and today he has had bad diarrhea

does anyone know where on the net i can find a good diagram of the spine and what nerves control what functions?

Hi Shelley:

In my case, my mother is definitely the one that took it the hardest. It is an extremely difficult situation, but eventhough it may not seem so now, he will manage, and you will manage whatever the final outcome may be.

Again, eventhough it may not seem so now, he is very fortunate that his injury is very low and his life will be very functional, again no matter how much recovery there will be. The toe is very encouraging. Any other new sensation or voluntary movement he may have is definitely a positive sign. However, it is possible that he may not walk again and it is prudent to accept that, but not to the expense of not working his hardest to overcome. Believe me, I am a T6 2 1/2 years out, life still has a lot to offer no matter how much he recovers. Being in a wheelchair is not a death sentence. You just get used to measuring life by a new standard.

Best of luck.

Shelley,
    So sorry to hear about your son. My son was in a car accident in November . He is a C6-7 incomplete. He is 21 years old and very positive and determined. His good attitude is what gets me through this every day. It is sooo hard - I know. It has been five months now and I can actually get through the day without crying. It WILL get better. Hang in there and God Bless.

Gary's Mom

very well said paramoto.

Shelly, another thing for your son to consider is the types of food he's eating. Foods that used to go thru him before the injury should be avoided at all costs. Other foods like bread, pasta and rice are binders and should be watched very closely because too much, which may amount to no more than a slice of bread, can wreck his bowel routine and cause an accident. Rice is especially notorious for binding so be extra vigilant with this food.

It may take 2 years for his body to adjust and for the frequency of accidents to minimize to a couple times a year. Paying close attention to what he eats and how and when it comes out will determine how successful he will be with accident prevention.

After my injury ice cream, watermelon, chili, some chicken dishes and other foods were problematic. There is no ryme or reason it just happens. Learn from it, accept it and life gets easier.

Your son will be fine. You'll be fine. Every day after his injury is a bonus day. Treat it that way and don't ever forget it. You now have an appreciation for life a very select few have...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson