Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UTI'S and effects of Colloidal Silver

UTI'S and effects of Colloidal Silver

Not to long ago I posted a thread to someone how they could quite easily be FREE from UTI'S almost indefinately. Rightfully, SCI-Nurse intervened & stated Colloidal Silver isn't safe. She has offered no convincing evidence of this except for old out-dated (1960-70?) FDA material. I do NOT recommend you simply start taking Silver as most of you probably don't even know what it is or does. I would like to let you know my personal experience with this stuff & hopefully point counterpoint with anyone who has doubts, questions or has heard true or false information. I have no ties with any companies but I DO genuinely believe Colloidal Silver can help you as it has helped me tremendously.

Silver is a trace mineral from the soil. Being a mineral bacteria & germs cannot develop a resistance to it. It has been used for centuries for MANY various ailments&sicknesses. It has been known to help AIDS, cancer, infectious diseases, parasites, chronic fatigue, depression, anxiety, acne, warts, hemorrhoids, enlarged prostate, and many other diseases and conditions just to name a few. It was written off as dangerous & not useful when the FDA was administered in the US in the 1930's(?). That's when pennisillun(sp) was born & widely used. Over the years, silver was forgotten as is many other remedies & procedures in life. You may think that is just advedrtisement but if you do some searches, you will find it has been studied and truly does posess some amazing properties. If you'd like me to post some articles, I will.

I've been taking Silver for 2years and have had NO uti's or bad side effects. The out-dated material you will see is that this stuff will turn your skin a greyish color, a condition known as Argyria. This USE TO happen often because of the way the silver was manufactured. What happened was silver salts deposit in the skin, eyes & organs. Many cases of argyria occurred during the pre-antibiotic era when silver was a common ingredient in nose drops. This happened because the particles were much to big for the body to handle. This is NO LONGER TRUE. Certain companies do indeed sell silver that IS DANGEROUS. Check out this link to see how tiny the particles in a silver solution really are. Smaller than the smallest bug which is the rhinovirus.How big are they Make sure you zoom in to get the full effect.

If you decide to try this imho wonderful mineral, here are a few signs to look for when buying it. In general A LOT of the current product being sold isn't safe. I've found several companies that are good. If you see ANY particles in the bottom of the bottle or need to shake it up, TOSS IT. If it's thick in any way, it's no good. It should be tastless. If the company boasts thousands of particles, no good. Recommended is 20ppm once a day. That should = a teaspoon or 2.

Here is the stuff I buy & take daily.Utopia

Let the discussion begin

"Failure is impossible"

[This message was edited by defiler on 05-29-03 at 01:30 AM.]

[This message was edited by defiler on 05-29-03 at 11:50 AM.]

Defiler - What kind of bladder management do you use? And how many UTIs per year were you getting before taking silver?

Thanks.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Hey Jeff,

I currently cath prn / as needed which turns out to be maybe 3-4 times a year tops. I use to get a UTI every month to every two months. As I said, haven't had one in a llooonnggg time. It's nice not feeling the urge all day & getting cathed constantly.

"Failure is impossible"

Well, I must say....I'm impressed with the research I've done so far. Just to expand on a little of what Defiler said in his post.....

Silver used to be made by grinding the metal. That method produced very large particles. Therefore, the amount of silver required to be effective was huge. Now that particle size is down into the single nanometer, the same amount of surface area of silver can be ingested but in total quantities thousands or millions times less. It's a lot safer.

Silver nitrate is still used on a newborn's eyes to prevent blindness from any possible infection gained from exiting the birth canal. And the best burn ointment uses silver as the way to kill pathogens. Silver kills bacteria, viruses and everything else. Even the experts don't dispute this. Safety has been the main question, I believe.

I have a UTI right now. The results from my urine culture should be available this afternoon. The day I dropped off the urine sample [Tuesday] I had a flare up of flank pain. No fever but significant lower back pain. Last night I bought a bottle of colloidal silver [30ppm] and was able to take two doses before bedtime. This morning the pain is greatly reduced. And my urine is clearer despite not drinking very much water last night. If things keep improving I'm going to hold off on antibiotics to see if the silver will do the trick. Sounds crazy even to me but if it works then it works.

I won't know if it's really working or if it's just a placebo effect for a couple more days. But if it kills this infection I will be incredibly impressed.

[This message was edited by Jeff on 05-30-03 at 10:15 AM.]

BTW, I also take 10 grams of Vitamin C per day and up to 20 grams of cranberry powder per day. I got tired of buying 60 [1 gram] cranberry capsules for $18.00 so now I buy a pound of cranberry powder for $20.00. The savings are incredible. The problem is that cranberry does almost nothing for me.

Anyway, to be continued....

Jeff. Hopefully that's the real effect & not placebo. So great to hear you've noticed a difference. Thanks for expanding on my description too. I just don't have the patience to look up that much. Hoping your culture shows up good after the silver. However, i'm thinking it might show more pathogens for obvious reasons. I'm sure you've read this but in case you haven't, here it is. Make sure not to take too much because you could experience a Healing crisis." The body tries to excrete all of the pathogens & can't thus leaving you bllllaa feeling. There's a technical term for the healing crisis but again, I'm too lazy. 2 30ppm doses while you have a bad infection is good. Gl mi amigo.

Lots of views... Few posts. hehe.

"Failure is impossible"

Defiler,

About two years ago, I wrote an article on the old Cando site summarizing the literature on silver treatment of UTI. There is actually a great deal of evidence suggesting that silver is an effective antibacterial. For example, silver-coated catheters are very effective in reducing infections of indwelling catheters. Silver has been a mainstay of burn therapy for nearly a century, for example. There is no question that it is a good antibacterial.

However, as I read the material, I am not convinced that the toxicity of silver has much to do with the size of silver particles as much as how much soluble silver actually gets into your body and how much accumulates. Silver is a heavy metal and it binds proteins. One of the reasons that it has antibacterial effects is because it binds on to bacterial proteins prevents them from proliferating.

So, I decided to do a little digging to see if there is any new information that might shed some light on the subject of silver accumulation in the body. There is one recent study on the subject, showing mice will accumulate significant levels of silver in their muscles and cerebellum (part of the brain) when they were fed water containing 0.03 mg/liter (Pelkonen, et al. 2003). The World Health Organization allows 0.1 mg/liter for disinfection of water. An adult mouse probably drinks about 2 ml of fluid per day and weighs about 25 gram. Thus, a mouse that drinks 2 ml of fluid a day is taking in a dose of about 0.00006 mg/25 gram or about 0.0024 mg/kg.

You say that you are taking 20 ppm per day. This doesn't tell me the actual amount that you are taking since 20 ppm is a concentration, i.e. 20 mg per liter. If you drink 10 ml per day, you would be taking about 0.2 mg of silver per day. Assuming that you weighed 60 kg, you would be ingesting about 0.003 mg/kg, not very different from what the mice received in the above mentioned study. So, if the paper is correct and results from mice extends to human, you may be accumulating silver in your body.

Clearly, the dose of silver that one takes is the important factor. There is a good book that reviews the literature extensively on the subject of colloidal silver http://www.clspress.com/silver.html by John Hill D.C. Hill points out the silver taken in excess can be harmful. The EPA recommends that a 72 kg adult should not take more than 1 mg/day of silver and that safe limit of silver in drinking water should be less than 0.1 mg/liter in drinking water. Colloidal silver is said to be safer than silver nitrate. Colloidal silver is bound and probably less colloidal silver is absorbed when you ingest colloidal silver.

A person normally consumes about 0.09 mg of silver per day in a normal food diet. The amount of silver nitrate required to produce argyria is 1-6 grams of silver. So, if you are drinking 0.2 mg per day, this is considerably less silver than that would produce argyria. So, I conclude from this analysis that if you are taking 0.2 mg per day, you are within the safe range. People, however, should be very careful to calculate the dose that they are taking and make sure that they are within the limits.

Wise.

• Pelkonen KH, Heinonen-Tanski H and Hanninen OO (2003). Accumulation of silver from drinking water into cerebellum and musculus soleus in mice. Toxicology 186:151-7. Summary: In spite of the general toxicity, ecotoxicity and sparsely known metabolism of silver, WHO allows silver ions (Ag) up to 0.1 mg/l in drinking water disinfection. In order to determine the accumulation and distribution of silver in a mammalian body, mice were given for 1 and 2 weeks drinking water containing a 3-fold lower concentration, namely 0.03 mg/l silver ions as silver nitrate labelled with 110mAg. The silver concentrations in different tissues were analysed by gamma radioactivity. The saturation of tissues with silver seems to occur quickly, as there were no statistical differences between silver contents of mice tissues in spite of the study design that mice were administered silver for 1 or 2 weeks. The highest concentrations were found in musculus soleus (m. soleus), cerebellum, spleen, duodenum, and myocardial muscle in the rank order. Concentrations of silver in musculus gastrocnemius (m. gastrocnemius) were found to correlate negatively with cerebrum and positively with blood and kidneys. The accumulation of silver into organs and tissues important in motor functions may be of relevance especially in emergency and catastrophe situations in which accurate motor functions may be critical. A re-evaluation of the present recommendations on the use of silver salts for disinfection of drinking water might be necessary. Department of Physiology, University of Kuopio, POB 1627, FIN 70211 Kuopio, Finland.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on 06-01-03 at 10:43 PM.]

Dr. Young,

Veerryyyy good articles you linked to. I did a lot of searching & couldn't find as solid as that. I'm glad you posted that. That should fill any & all questions people hav / had about silver. I should've been a bit clearer about dosage though. 2 teaspoons of 20ppm daily so, I'm within the safe range. I should also mention that the ionization in the good formulas is very low. Thanks Wise

"Failure is impossible"

[This message was edited by defiler on 06-03-03 at 03:46 PM.]

Quick question Wise. On occasion I need catheterization. Are silver tipped catheters available? If so I'd buy some. I like to be as safe&practical as possible. Thanks again!

"Failure is impossible"

Dang!!! Frig!!!

Sheeeesh! I thought I had found the panacea for ending all UTIs. Well, it didn't work for me, after all. Now, it might prevent UTIs....that might be an easier job. But silver is not stopping the UTI that I have now.

Oh well.....back to the drawing board.