Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep your hands from contracting...

Keep your hands from contracting...

Hello,
    To keep your hands from contracting, I recommend the following. What I do is buy soccer goalie gloves and this helps tremendously from having my hands contract. You have to be careful, when buying the soccer gloves. Otherwise you'll will have sores from the gloves. But once I've found gloves, my mom cuts out the elastic around the wrist. And then there ready to wear... I've been wearing soccer gloves for 10 years and my hands haven't contracted. I can recommend some gloves if anyone is interested (I have no financial interest).
    Thanks,
    Brian
    Last edited by MagikLair; 04-03-2006 at 07:39 PM. Reason: didn't make sense

I would recommend instead that you get resting hand splints that keep your hand in a funcitonal position. Letting your hands get contracted in an extended position is just as bad as letting them get contracted in a flexed position if you ever get any return, as both will lead to a non-functional hand. A good OT can fit you or better yet, make you, custom hand splints that are appropriate for this.

(KLD)

tried them and moved on..

I tried the hand splints and they caused sores. I've tried two different types of splints and came back to the soccer gloves. The gloves do not keep the hands in the extended position (Not my experiences anyhow). They allow the hands to bend the gloves in a normal position. I've had good results with these gloves over the splints.
    Brian

Hey, Lair! My splints are custom made for me. My doctor ordered them for me.

The orthotist makes a mold of your hand/wrist/arm in the proper open position using a casting material and cuts it off the cast. They pour a resin into the mold and have your splint. Using velcro straps in strategic points, your hand, wrist and arm are held into place.

My occupational therapist made me rough ones before I had the last splints made.

I wear mine to sleep each night or for anything active if I could risk damage on the arm/wrist/hand I've had two tendon transfers on.

I'm glad the gloves work for you. The splints work perfectly for me as they are molded exactly to my shape with fingers outstretched.

***Hey Brian. I posted the above at the same time you were posting. I'm glad the gloves work so well for you.

LOL. Yes, all I know is I'm happy...

i dunno bout others, but letting my fingers go into the quad curl has allowed me a lot more independence. i can hold things. i fought the curling for first two yrs, never realizing it actually could help me. i stretch my fingers out with my other hand sometimes just to keep em somewhat loose. but to do the cooking, housecleaning, picking things up, writing with a pen, etc. i am much better off this way. c7, 20 yrs.

Slight contracture of the fingers will make a tenodesis grasp more functional, but a completely fisted hand (which is possible without good ROM and proper splints) is not very functional.

(KLD)

Damn I have a tightly fisted right hand. And my left hand likes to jerk to the side at the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    i dunno bout others, but letting my fingers go into the quad curl has allowed me a lot more independence. i can hold things. i fought the curling for first two yrs, never realizing it actually could help me. i stretch my fingers out with my other hand sometimes just to keep em somewhat loose. but to do the cooking, housecleaning, picking things up, writing with a pen, etc. i am much better off this way. c7, 20 yrs.
    I'm going to agree with Cass on that one. When I wore the silly hand splint I lost what little grip I had and the splint caused pressure problems as well. Not to mention all the times I just about knocked myself silly with spastic jerks in my sleep.

Ha Ha Ha! I used to knock myself in the head all the time, forgetting that I was wearing the splints... too funny! You can also roll up small hand towels to whatever size works best with your particular grip, tape them all around so that they don't come a loose, and you can hold on to those at night. Used to work very well for me before I had my tendon transfer.

And whenever I am reading, or working on a computer I try to make it a habit to constantly stretch and flex my fingers.