Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grocery Shopping?

Grocery Shopping?

Serious question here. I have been in my chair for almost 3 years now. I live w/ my parents and they do most of the shopping. I'm moving out here in a few months. How in hell do I grocery shop? I'm just wondering what everyone else does when go to buy groceries and such? Do you just take a bag and fill it up, or push the cart around the whole store? Any ideas?

I don't buy a lot of groceries at once so I use the little plastic crates people carry to get just a few things. In another thread someone brought up grocery stores that deliver. Maby this would be what you would need with the exception of small stuff.
    http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61020
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Congrats on getting your own place! That's exciting.

Unless I transfer to a motorized cart with a basket on the front, someone goes with me.

When I drove, I used French string bags for shopping as they would stretch and not break. I could handle the string bags more easily than the plastic from the store. I didn't buy much at once and went to the store several times a week.

I wrote recently about using a college student from time to time for my groceries. I sent him my list via email. He had a blank check to the grocery where the manager knew my situation and the student shopped using my list. I paid $10/hr. with a minimum number of hours guaranteed.

My Uncle or my parents take me to shop and they help me. They push the buggy and I put the items in.

What level are you?
    Use manual or power chair?
    Do you drive? (or store nearby to just wheel to)

Before I was married I went to the store 2 - 3 times a week, packing the plastic crate as full as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Aly
    I don't buy a lot of groceries at once so I use the little plastic crates people carry to get just a few things.

Same here.

For the big stuff, and the stuff that doesn't spoil, I generally use Safeway.com. I get my kitty litter, laundry detergent, boxed pasta, peanut butter, canned soups, drinks, and stuff like that delivered. I usually get them delivered about once every 2 weeks or so. I go to the grocery store and carry a basket on my lap usually about 2 or 3 times/week.

Here in NC, you can order grocies online and pick them up at a designated time. It costs five bucks.

I go to the store a couple times per week. Just put one of those baskets on your lap and don't fill it up much more than what will fit in one paper bag. Tell the bag kid to fit everything in one paper bag, with a plastic bag on the outside. When he hands it too you just make sure the tippy side is leaning towards your tummy.

...and watch the a/b's walk into stuff while they stare at the independent wheelchair kid.

I just push the shopping cart. Before the gocery store got new carts, I just pushed the cart with my chair. They got new carts a while back and the rear caster wheels are farther back than on the old ones, so I can't do that anymore because the front caster wheels on my chair will rub the rear wheels on the cart. Now I push the cart with one hand and my chair with the other.

I grab my cart and start at the back of the store and work my way forward. That way I don't have to push a full, heavy cart back to the front to check out.

If there's only a few things I need down an isle, I park the cart at the end, go get it and come back. I have to be quick about it because the store employees are getting quick about picking up carts that they think have been abandoned.
    Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Smile

"I grab my cart and start at the back of the store and work my way forward. That way I don't have to push a full, heavy cart back to the front to check out.

If there's only a few things I need down an isle, I park the cart at the end, go get it and come back. I have to be quick about it because the store employees are getting quick about picking up carts that they think have been abandoned. "

I do this too, but taping a note with BIG letters on the basket helps.

Pat