View Poll Results: What is the cause of your SCI?

Voters
339. You may not vote on this poll
  • Motor Vehicle: auto

101 29.79%
  • Motor Vehicle: motorcycle

36 10.62%
  • Motor Vehicle: atv or dirtbike

23 6.78%
  • Motor Vehicle: boat/snowmobile/plane/anything w/ a throttle & steering mechanism

8 2.36%
  • Act of Violence: gunshot

13 3.83%
  • Act of Violenc: other

1 0.29%
  • Fall

40 11.80%
  • Sports & Recreation

30 8.85%
  • Diving

41 12.09%
  • Other

46 13.57%
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What caused your SCI?

I answered for my husband. He was taking a tour of a house of a friend that was under construction. The house was framed and the floors were in. He was coming down the foyer stairs that had no hand rail up yet. The staircase was separated by a landing in the middle that had one step in the middle of the landing. He was looking around and did not realize that there was that step in the middle of the landing. He tripped, lost his balance and fell backwards over the edge where the hand railing should have been. Landed on his back. Burst L1.

motocross accident. came up short on the landing of a jump, chest smashed into the handlebars shattering my chest protector, collapsing both lungs and snapping my back at T 4-5. me and bike continued down landing ramp rotating upside down then the bike pile drived me at the bottom breaking C 6-7, then I tumbled and cartwheeled another 80 feet breaking all my ribs and tearing my aorta.

Thanks to Wise my C 6-7 injury was calmed and not allowed to do further damage with the methelpred, metelphredn, methelprenos...ah screw it, that stuff he came up with that helps reduce/prevent swelling. My only lasting effect from this injury is mild gross motor loss in my right hand and loss of sensation in right thumb and pointer finger.

Para from the T 4-5 injury.

Luckily I didn't break the new visor off my helmet...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

OK keep it coming. Minus my double posts I have close to sixty posts on what caused your SCI'S. I would like to present 100 to the Senators in quick time before the rally. Thank You.

MVA! I was riding in the back of a pickup when it spun out on black ice in a turn. Then it trew my out of the back when it flipped. I landed sat up on the road and then the truck landed on my back - T12-L1.

Trampoline. Great flip, poor landing. Broke C5/6.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    Don't drive when you are tired, it's warm raining and dark.........
    The exact same thing happened to me

Really fast motorcycle... really slow brick wall.

vinnie

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie
    MVA! I was riding in the back of a pickup when it spun out on black ice in a turn. Then it trew my out of the back when it flipped. I landed sat up on the road and then the truck landed on my back - T12-L1.
    My husbands 18 yr old nephew was in the back of a pick up also. He wasn't as lucky. He landed on his head in that parking lot. They say he died instantly. I'm glad your still here.

Quote Originally Posted by mckeownp
    My husbands 18 yr old nephew was in the back of a pick up also. He wasn't as lucky. He landed on his head in that parking lot. They say he died instantly. I'm glad your still here.
    I'm sorry about your nephew I know I'm lucky! If the truck had rolled on its roof, I wouldn't be here either.

PS. Some people here say they can't remember anything about their accident. I remember everything about that night 23 years ago, from the time I left the house until the doctors at the hospital doped me up. Sometimes I think it must be a blessing to not remember about an accident but then again, atleast I know exactly why/how I ended up in a wheelchair.
    Last edited by Vinnie; 04-11-2006 at 09:07 AM.