View Poll Results: What is the cause of your SCI?

Voters
339. You may not vote on this poll
  • Motor Vehicle: auto

101 29.79%
  • Motor Vehicle: motorcycle

36 10.62%
  • Motor Vehicle: atv or dirtbike

23 6.78%
  • Motor Vehicle: boat/snowmobile/plane/anything w/ a throttle & steering mechanism

8 2.36%
  • Act of Violence: gunshot

13 3.83%
  • Act of Violenc: other

1 0.29%
  • Fall

40 11.80%
  • Sports & Recreation

30 8.85%
  • Diving

41 12.09%
  • Other

46 13.57%
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: What caused your SCI?

Blog Entries
    Going up in a Cessna 182 to make a Sunday afternoon skydive, and no one but the pilot was wearing a seatbelt because we thought that if we crashed, we'd be dead so why bother. At about 100 feet, the plane lost power over the end of the runway, and the pilot immediately put the plane in a dive to keep up airspeed. I could see that we had a field that we could land in and decided to take the crash (kiss your ass goodbye) position, as we were going down really fast and I didn't think that I had time to turn around and get my back up against the pilot's seat. The three other jumpers were all on the right side of the plane and up against the firewall.

The pilot did a good job of making an emergency landing, but the plane landed near the edge of the field and slid into the trees and stopped dead. As I was not anchored to anything, I kept going. Just a couple of feet, but the pilot's seat stopped me, and I hit it with the back of my head, upper back and right arm.

Burst fracture of the T4, spiral fracture of right humerus, some broken ribs and a few spinous process bones and a couple of gashes to my head. I don't remember the actual crash, but was aware of the pilot and three other jumpers getting out of the plane, and I was lying on my back with my legs up on someone's shoulders. As he got out, my legs fell to the floor, and I felt the feeling going out of the bottom 3/4 of my body.

I knew I was hurt bad, and possibly paralyzed, but was hoping that it might be temporary (like on the soap operas), and knew that I just had to trust the EMTs to take care of me. Fortunately one of the skydivers was also a fireman with EMT training, and I answered a couple of questions and went in to a 'wait and see' mode. They Life Flighted me to the UMass hospital in Worcester, MA and I remember thinking that it was too bad that I didn't feel well enough to enjoy the 'chopper ride. The last thing I remember was them wheeling me into the ER, and coming to few hours later and having the doc tell me that I was T3 or 4 complete and that meant that I would remain paralyzed.

A few minutes later there was a doc in a wheelchair beside me telling me that he had been paralyzed about a year before, and was back at UMass in his residency program. He also gave me the tried and true advice to keep in mind that I would still be able to do a lot of what I could do before the accident and to concentrate on those things instead of the things I had lost.

That was March 7, 1993.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

gl told me how she got broke.
    wow!
    going out on her motor bike to pick wild onions, she hit deer, and wrecked. ended up laying in the wilderness for two days until a farmer realized she wasnt around, and searched for her. he found her all broken up. the ants chewed her up for two days. how long and lonesome that must have been. she hearda tracter start up somewhere, and get closer and closer, but by then was not realizing she was being found.
    she got a helicoptor ride.
    after they trached her, they slid her head out the door so she could enjoy the view. she didnt want to miss her chopper ride.
    I hope you dont mind Gypsy.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    gl told me how she got broke.
    wow!
    going out on her motor bike to pick wild onions, she hit deer, and wrecked. ended up laying in the wilderness for two days until a farmer realized she wasnt around, and searched for her. he found her all broken up. the ants chewed her up for two days. how long and lonesome that must have been. she hearda tracter start up somewhere, and get closer and closer, but by then was not realizing she was being found.
    she got a helicoptor ride.
    after they trached her, they slid her head out the door so she could enjoy the view. she didnt want to miss her chopper ride.
    I hope you dont mind Gypsy.
    my brother-in-law broke his back (not spinal cord though) we were all down in nc at a keg party weekend and pig roast, a friend danny ray wanted to ride their bikes over to the next county to see where a friend was, he was a little drunk, my brother-in-law got on his harley and went with him to keep a eye on danny ray, they were hauling ass on some back woods roads and a deer ran in front of them, my brother in law hit the ditch and flew a few hundred feet into a cornfield and broke his back, (recovered in a few months). the funny part of this was danny ray was a amputee from a bike wreck a few years earlier and his wooden leg got stuck in some mud and he hopped out of it. so when the rescue made it there, they were trying to capture danny ray who was hopping around the cornfield looking for my brother-in-law
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Wow Donno-that is something that you have that picture.
    It never ceases to amaze me the ways these things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    my brother-in-law broke his back (not spinal cord though) we were all down in nc at a keg party weekend and pig roast, a friend danny ray wanted to ride their bikes over to the next county to see where a friend was, he was a little drunk, my brother-in-law got on his harley and went with him to keep a eye on danny ray, they were hauling ass on some back woods roads and a deer ran in front of them, my brother in law hit the ditch and flew a few hundred feet into a cornfield and broke his back, (recovered in a few months). the funny part of this was danny ray was a amputee from a bike wreck a few years earlier and his wooden leg got stuck in some mud and he hopped out of it. so when the rescue made it there, they were trying to capture danny ray who was hopping around the cornfield looking for my brother-in-law
    This has an old time country western/redneck song to be written in it.
    Oh-our sweet Gypsy being chewed on by the ants makes me cringe.
    I lived 50 years never knowing anyone with a SCI and now I see accidents waiting to happen everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    This has an old time country western/redneck song to be written in it.
    Oh-our sweet Gypsy being chewed on by the ants makes me cringe.
    I lived 50 years never knowing anyone with a SCI and now I see accidents waiting to happen everywhere.
    Yeah, I have a real hard time watching folks "having fun" jumping/diving off of cliffs into lakes and watching teenagers do extreme stunts.

The worst thing I ever saw was in a Japanese garden. It had roughly a 50ft waterfall down this rock face that looked climbable. There were about 10 kids (between the ages of 5-15) climbing the wet rocks. Some were halfway up the face. Thankfully, no one fell. The parents were at the bottom watching. Unbelievable!

Curtis Garvin
    driving 1980 dodge omni recalled in late eighties for steering faults. he claimed the steering malfunctioned and over compensated. he went down harbison canyon cliffs and was found many hours later. He lost then vertebrae and the entire spinal cord in that area. He worked for General Dynamics, wrote a book, became a wheelchair tennis champ, and died a few years ago of a reaction to methadone and the date rape drug. the 1980 dodge omni was later recalled for steering faults, but it was past the statute of limitations.

Drake Garvin
    wrecked his ninja on the way home from purchasing it. the brake lines were dry rotted. he ended up between the bike and a tree. that was 1988. he was a t-10 but a cyst left him a c-4. he was an artist after injury, and a mentor for newly injured. he also did very well in wheelchair tennis. curt and drake were inlaws to me.

Robert Gilchrist. my grandpa.
    he fell while drinking. he had driven his friends and family away from him with his drinking, and no one was there when he fell. he laid there for several days with a cervical fracture, and died of respiratory failure before he was discovered by the cleaning lady.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Wow Donno-that is something that you have that picture.
    It never ceases to amaze me the ways these things happen.
    Linda,

I just grabbed the pic from Google Earth and put it in Illustrator to add the Xs and the text.

It is amazing what a strange world we find ourselves in after SCI.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

fall

I was doing construction work, building bleachers, and I fell off the top, unclipped row. It was like a seesaw.

I was cutting some roof vents from the inside out on a large building. Suddenly the whole building imploded. You can imagine the rest.

Donno , that is an amazing story. Glad your around to tell it.