View Poll Results: What is the cause of your SCI?

Voters
339. You may not vote on this poll
  • Motor Vehicle: auto

101 29.79%
  • Motor Vehicle: motorcycle

36 10.62%
  • Motor Vehicle: atv or dirtbike

23 6.78%
  • Motor Vehicle: boat/snowmobile/plane/anything w/ a throttle & steering mechanism

8 2.36%
  • Act of Violence: gunshot

13 3.83%
  • Act of Violenc: other

1 0.29%
  • Fall

40 11.80%
  • Sports & Recreation

30 8.85%
  • Diving

41 12.09%
  • Other

46 13.57%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: What caused your SCI?

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrylips
    Scary stuff. I guess there'll always be the old 'it'll never happen to me' mentality - i guess its a defence mechanism
    Like i said earlier; a friend sliped a disc in his neck, claping, coughing and turning his head........SCAREY

mva - driving home from work, approaching an intersection on the inside lane of an undivided four lane road, 18-wheeler with box trailer waiting to turn left in the opposite side of the intersection, for some strange reason I was prepared that maybe the truck would turn left in from of me. as I approached the intersection, it was clear that the truck was not going to turn in front of me, then next thing i saw was an S-class turn left (from a through lane) in front of the truck that was waiting to turn left as i entered the intersection. turns out the S-class got tired of waiting for the truck to turn left and was going to turn left around the truck. braked hard at 50+ mph, let go of the steering wheel just before impact and then t-boned the S-class. so far so good, i remember straightening up and reaching for the door handle, everything worked, no broken thumbs and was then hit in the driver's door by a car that was travelling behind me. things just weren't working out that day.

I thought it would be fun to ride the mechanical bull at our county fair. It wasn't. The operator decided to "crank it up a few notches" throwing me 8 1/2 feet to the end of the mat. I landed on my head breaking C6/7, leaving me with an incomplete SCI at T1. Don't ride mechanical bulls.
    Last edited by jplw; 04-21-2006 at 01:46 PM.

sorry

My son Michael is in hospital again. I'm distracted. I still want to send this thread to the Senators. Please please send more statements.
    Quote Originally Posted by jplw
    I thought it would be fun to ride the mechanical bull at our county fair. It wasn't. The operator decided to "crank it up a few notches" throwing me 8 1/2 feet to the end of the mat. I landed on my head breaking C6/7, leaving me with an incomplete SCI at T1. Don't ride mechanical bulls.

I was snowboarding with a friend on my Freshmen spring break. I stupidly took a park kicker (big jump) at the end of the day, overshot it with too much speed and landed badly from about 15-20 feet of air. I stayed conscious the whole time. I was 18, had to be air ambulenced for surgery, lost a lot of blood, and scared the shit out of my mom. I'm T12/L1 incomplete, but back in college.

Best part is I took that jump because I wanted a cool picture of me doing a method grab. Crippled by my own damn hubris, but I got the photo.
    Last edited by Surf_Sister; 04-21-2006 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf_Sister
    I was snowboarding with a friend on my Freshmen spring break. I stupidly took a park kicker (big jump) at the end of the day, overshot it with too much speed and landed badly from about 15-20 feet of air. I was 18, had to be air ambulenced for surgery, lost a lot of blood, and scared the shit out of my mom. I'm T12/L1 incomplete, but back in college.

Best part is I took that jump because I wanted a cool picture of me doing a method grab. Crippled by my own damn hubris, but I got the photo.
    Always the last run eh......Sounds simular to my worst snowboard wreck, fortunately i only got a concusion and 2 shiners..........Wow looking back now I always seem to land on my head....

surf sista lets see that foto
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

It was a late Sunday afternoon on June 5th 1977 in downtown Virginia Beach, Virginia. I should have been heading home, but I had to take one more swim and made one more dive into the surf. The tide was out and the bottom was heaped up and I dove straight head-first into the sandy bottom. The rest is as murky as that bottom, but it involves angels and other miracles.
    If I had known I was going to live this long and be thhis healthy, I wouldn't have done that. To bed there are no "do-overs" in this category of life.

Pretty stupid accident. I took a simple fall in my kitchen while getting a piece of cheesecake on my birthday, landing on a metal strip that divides the flooring from the carpet. Contusion injury L4-S2, incomplete. No insurance, no rehab. Now, 16 yrs later I developed a C2, incomplete with central cord due to cervical stenosis.

It can happen to anyone.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by nicotico
    surf sista lets see that foto
    I second that..........post it lady
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."