Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motocross Legend SCI practicing

It is clear the tracks are getting more complicated, the bikes faster and the riders more agressive. But it is curious to see that a lot of accidents happen in warm up laps, like Ernie's, Jimmy Button's and many others.

Tracks should be made considering safety as first factor, insted of thinking just at the spectacular factor. Sooner or later you are going to make a big mistake and the traks shoul be made to forgive your mistake. Riders should refuse to ride where safety measure are not enough!
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 04-03-2006 at 04:16 PM.

You may be right. But most world class competitors think of complicated tracks as "technical" and these tracks give the top riders an advantage, since they are able to jump more agressively the most complicated sections of the track (in supercross). On the other hand, you have motocross, which is less technical and outdoors. Riders then achieve much higher speeds since the tracks are generally easier. I am not sure which discipline (SX or MX) is responsible for the most injuries, but I suspect it may be SX. I might also add that I also suspect that most injuries occur to riders with a lot less experience and physical preparation than the professional racer, as was probably my case.

I was injured racing motocross in 1998 (C-5). I think its the best sport on the planet, however it's very dangerous. I'm still very much involved, announcing local races and I volunteer for a motocross safety foundation. The popularity of the sport has exploded the last 5-10 years and there's a huge need for safety education programs. You can check out the safety foundation here www.mxsafety38.org

Quote Originally Posted by Extrmmxer
    I was injured racing motocross in 1998 (C-5). I think its the best sport on the planet, however it's very dangerous. I'm still very much involved, announcing local races and I volunteer for a motocross safety foundation. The popularity of the sport has exploded the last 5-10 years and there's a huge need for safety education programs. You can check out the safety foundation here www.mxsafety38.org
    I can see by the circumstances in Brett's incident why the mxsafety38 org's emphasis is on flaggers, track watering, track maintenance and proper safety gear (to name the most prominent). While this is a good start it doesn't go deep enough. I know a gent in a chair that was put there from over watering of the track. I agree, much more has to be done to better manage the track surface.

A supercross track requires supercross gearing. Anything less and the rider has no hope of clearing most of the obstacles on the track. So if a track designer/creator builds a track with a mixture of outdoor and supercross obstacles they are not only corting, but are insuring disaster. Lesser experienced riders, and these are the vast majority, might not readily recognize a supercross obstacle that has been tossed into a predominantly outdoor style track and after a few passes over it grab a handful of gas and try it with severe consequences. A good example of this is Glen Helen. I never saw a supercross section on the main track there, ever. The same cannot be said for other tracks like Saddleback II, the old Comp Park main track and Perris (these are all Southern California local tracks).

I'm surprised the insurance companies haven't demanded more in depth rider notification and protection already.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen very nasty accidents brought about by sleeping flaggers also. However, I think it's only one part of a situation that has at least 10 equally important issues.

The extreme danger will never be eliminated from MX and I don't think any of us expects to see that or is asking for it. I feel it would be a great improvement to rider education if more info was given to them at the time of arrival regarding track nuances, tire/gearing recommendations, rules, etc.

I still love the sport deeply. I get just as much enjoyment out of watching it now as I did prior to my injury. I just think it's time to force the track operators to better explain their facilities and better operate them.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Check this out fellas.... http://www.bilko22.com/components/com_zoom/www/view.php?popup=1&q={obfs:2252272082192242632742862 17223203263275273286219209259224215219214263286220 219208263275}
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Yep T7 complete here 16 months post, due to motocross racing. I was in outpatient rehab today and there was 3 of us that all got hurt at the same track. The guy that ran the track even paralyzed himself there. I personally know of 5 people that injured themselves at this track. I always heard of it happening but never thought it would be me. I rode back when I was a kid 13-15 yo, than stopped and got back into it at 25. I wish I listened to my girlfriend and never got back into it. Oh well gotta roll w/ the punches.

Fonseca was the second person paralyzed this year in the Supercross series. A younger kid paralyzed hiself at Anhiem race earlier in the season. There is a bunch of us out there.

I think you're talkin about James Marshall. He was injured at San Diego. What's more, Ernie is the guy that hit him causing his paralysis. Two weeks later Ernie wadded himself. Spooky...

Quote Originally Posted by stlyin moe
    ...Ernie is the guy that hit him causing his paralysis. Two weeks later Ernie wadded himself. Spooky...
    Ernie didn't cause James's SCI. James went down head first into the ground and was completely limp as Ernie was in the air. Ernie then landed and went over his right arm and got collected by his bike. I agree it was spooky that Ernie was injured shortly after.

I was injured racing BMX (bicycle motocross) 22 years ago. Incomplete c-4 quad.

http://homepage.mac.com/bradd/PhotoAlbum6.html

Things like that happen (Ernie and James). I was not a Central American quality competitor, but in one of those races I was able to make Third at a Central American championship race, Ricky Helleybuck (perennial Salvadorian champion and one of the best in C.A.) won the race, beat the crap out of me, even lapped me. I have a picture of him in 2001 in the podium, first place, a guy from Guatemala in second place and I am in third. Today, Ricky is dead from a C2 fracture during a race last year, and I am a T6 complete. I don't know who the guy from Guatemala is as that was the only time I raced against him, but it must be spooky as hell too for him to see that picture. I am sure he knows what happened to Ricky and me. Two out of the three are down and one of us is out.

Still a great sport. We must find a common sense approach to make it safer (flag people training, race directors, sometimes even wreckless competitors, track watering, bike set-up,), etc., like moe has stated. Does anyone remember Kevin Windham crashing against what surely looked like a concrete or very solid barrier in Glen Helen to a dead stop?? I think I have it on video eventhough it would be tough to find. Man that could have been ugly.

You know, I never realized how frequently MX accidents that lead to paralysis occur. I knew they did, It's just not something that you ever hear much about. I'm a big fan of superbike (road course) racing. (I brick walled my TL 1000R on my way home late one night. C5 C6) But you very seldom hear of any serious (career ending) accidents occurring with those guys either. I'm sure they do.