Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motocross Legend SCI practicing

Thumbs down Motocross Legend SCI practicing

Ernesto Fonceca a top World Class Motocross racer for Honda has a C-7 injury from about three weeks ago in a practice crash. Landed on his head. These motor-sports injuries are sure gaining in numbers it seems. It got me too and many, many others I know as well. Thanks, Mike
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

motocross also got me 6 months ago. i cant believe it happened to ernie.

-------------------------------------
    c4-5 walking quad

My son was also injured in a motocross accident in January of this year....broke T 5 & 6. We lost 2 of his friends in the past two years to motocross accidents. Doesn't seem to make too much impact on the kids who race though.

Ya it's been difficult hearing about others that have fell victim to SCI from MX accidents. I know of at least 12 MX guys that have suffered an SCI in the last year and 3 deaths in that same period. Sadly there is little that can be done to turn this trend around.

I wadded myself in a practice crash 4 years ago. The track I was riding at had some very odd design characteristics that added to the danger of the sport. What was different with this track was none of the obstacles were laid out with any sense. Most other tracks I'd ridden the jumps were mathematically sensible. A 65 foot table had a 70 foot approach, a 110 triple had a 120 foot approach and so on.

Not so at this track. The put in an 85 foot triple in the last third of a big left hand sweeper. Many guys would launch and miss the landing completely and land off the track because they took off wrong not accounting for the jump being curved with the sweeper.

They had a 50 foot table with an 80 foot approach. It was a nightmare trying to figure out the approach speed because the approach was 20 feet too long. You'd have to come off a seat bounce step up on the gas then roll off the gas mid way down the approach then roll back on the gas and hold wide open hoping you did the sequence right. If not, you'd come up short or over jump it. In either case you wouldn't be set up very well for that sweeping triple and you didn't want to screw that up.

The one that got me was a 40 foot downhill double with a 25 foot approach. I should have been running a 4 tooth larger rear sprocket for this supercross style jump but thought I could clear it carrying enough corner speed. Needless to say I didn't and that was the beginning of this nightmare.

So this track had a mix of outdoor jumps and supercross obstacles that didn't make any sense. I was in ICU for 21 days and in that time over 30 guys came into that same ICU from the very same track. That had to be telling someone something.

A friend of mine talked to a guy at Dirt Wurx, they built this track. He said he begged the track owners not to set the track up in the manner they did. They ignored his advice and insisted on their layout.

I think the track designs are much more treacherous now than they ever have been. At the same time they're a lot of fun as long as everything's going well. But one mistake and you pay deerly.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Welcome Cindy, I've awaited your first post. Tell the kid(s) Hare and I said hello, I will write soon! Take care~ T.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

I'd be really interested to find out how often SCI's occur during MX racing yearly, and just how much that figure has risen. Probably all but impossible to come up with an accurate number. I crashed my Suzuki TL 1000R Street bike three years ago and I'm now a C5 C6 quad (neurologically I'm a C2 C3). But I also had lots of dirt bike experience.
    I miss riding (among other things) more than I could have imagined.

I would also. I think part of the equation is that the machinery is so much better, suspensions are so much better and riders have better access to training techniques which makes them better riders. With better machines and better riders you can make more challenging tracks. The downside to a more challenging track is it's less forgiving.

Lake Elsinore used to have a 7 pack section. This odd number challenged riders in the sense that if you wanted to make any good time through this section you had to go in fast and quad the first jump to triple out. These were pretty high, I'd say 5' tall. If you didn't quad in and played it safe you'd have to double, double, double, single out or triple, triple, single out. Either of these two sucked because the single out killed your drive to the huge stepup that followed and you couldn't clear it.

I was parked in front of this section one day and a lot of guys pile drived themselves in that section. On that day they all walked away, but it was scary to watch. Oddly enough Ernesto and and his Yamaha teammate were out there that day battling each other doing practice laps. They had no problem getting through that section in two hops. They made it loos so easy you were really tempted to try it yourself. Then later on in the day Ping and Langsten were out there also and watching those guys was a feast for the eyes. Truly incredible skill.

I was riding with Paul Carpenter the day I piled in. He was haulin through a section that was pretty chopped up and I was getting beat to death through it. He'd just hit 3rd gear and wheelie through this 100 foot section and continue on no prob. I followed him through it and tried the wheelie through technique and voila! Smooth as silk. Then I tried to follow him over the section that nearly killed me. I couldn't muster the corner speed. I don't know if it was tires, air pressure, poor technique or what but I couldn't stay with him through that corner. Then after several tries I was close to his corner speed but he still pulled me out of the corner. Later in the hospital I discovered the reason why. It was gearing.

I firmly believe that track owners should hand out a flyer to every rider as they pay to enter. That flyer should have info on what they recommend for tire selection, skill level for their various tracks, gearing suggestions and any technical info on jumps like if a take off has a kicker or not. All this info would be very helpful for the less skilled riders and let them know that if you don't have these setup items there's no amount of throttle that's going to get you across their gaps.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Here is another motocross accident.. I have always been careful avoiding taking stupid risks and I have spent a lot of time telling younger guys to be careful... I hope I have saved someone with my recommendations, unfortunately I haven’t been able to save myself from a T4/T5 disaster... a friend of mine say that your destiny gets up an hour before you, so you can just take what is given to you.
    I think more education about SCI risk is needed in the high risk activity
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 04-03-2006 at 12:41 PM.

neck rolls

My injury was from motocross riding.If you race in Montana under the H.C.M.A. rules, neck rolls are required 18 and under,because of a video I submitted to them about how devastating a sci is. They voted it in 3 yrs ago,on the state meeting after my injury August 8 2001,where I became c5,6and7 quad. Doing a simple whip and wave sigh!!!I shot EF a email to go to my site turbotrailgone.com.Sometimes us warriors need to ride a chariot.I'm getting out of my wheelchair.For how long who knows?I see Suzuki just introduced a bigger badder hyabusa with factory turbo. I just need to keep working on my grip strength. tren tren tren
    Just say know?
    Sometimes things you will do to overcome your adversity are socially unexceptable,get over it.

I was injured on Sept. 21, 2003 at a National Championship race in Nicaragua, on a downhill jump the front just got up way too high, lost control and instinctively threw the bike away. Landed way down square on my butt and had a T6-T8 burst fracture. Almost lost my life and has since forever been changed.

Ernesto Fonseca is from our neighboring country Costa Rica. I have seen him race many times and have always respected how he was able to reach such a high performance level to become a solid factory rider.

The National Champion from El Salvador, Ricky Helleybuck got injured last year with a high cervical and died a month later from pulmonary complications.

It is a dangerous sport but it still thrills me. I watch it every sunday on TV and the local championship live whenever I can. Many if not most people who have had this type of life changing accident do not lose the passion for the sport.

It is clear the the tracks are getting more complicated, the bikes faster and the riders more agressive. But it is curious to see that a lot of accidents happen in warm up laps, like Ernie's, Jimmy Button's and many others.