Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Cars Are People Driving & With What Hand Controls

What Cars Are People Driving & With What Hand Controls

I'm looking to hear what everyone out there is driving? I hate to keep beating a dead horse on this issue but don't want to drive a boring car. I'm currently finishing up therapy and looking forward to driving myself around instead of having to bum rides everywhere I need to go.

Currently I have a 2000 Jeep XJ (Cherokee). Problem isn't getting into the Jeep but pulling my TiLite across my lap. The Jeep has small doors and a tight cockpit. Plus, I'm 6' tall and have little room as it is so I can't imagine what it would be like with the hand controls in there too.

I've been on the internet looking at coupes (Civics, Minis, VW GTi, etc.) plus the new '07 Toyota FJ with the suicide doors. Which I personally like.

Looking forward to hear what you're driving out there and with what brand of hand controls. I was looking at the Menox since I prefer to drive with my left hand on the wheel. Are the portable hand control products just as good as a permanently installed unit?

I need a new ride...HELP!
    Paralyze resistance with persistence.
    T-12

Toyota Land Cruiser, Monarch hand controls. Peddle Master portable hand controls on rental cars.

BTW, I just drove an FJ yesterday. Funny car. Likes and dislikes.

Make it easy on yourself

Think about a chevy colorado Pickup truck extended cab, very easy to get in and out and with the 2wd you will not be straining constantly to make a high transfer, my 2wd zq8 suspension sport truck is pretty much level with my wheelchair.

Or you could make it harder on yourself and get one of these

This is my other vehicle, not the greatest w/c vehicle, kinda hard getting in and out and a little on the low side, but lots of fun once your behind the wheel.

They Toyota FJ is a nice ride, but the back seats are worthless, and it has MAMMOTH, HUGE blind spots. I wanted something a bit fancier, but just bought a Honda Element. I'll post the pictures sometime over the weekend. My WC fits in the back with the seat up against the wall. works well, as long as you can lift it up.

CT-100 hand controls in both that and my Nissan Quest.

-- JB

It seems the suicide doors are the way to go with what I have been able to pull up. I really don't want to tear up my arms lifting my chair in and out of trucks. I know with the 2wd trucks its much lower so maybe that is an option to pursue.

Looking forward to checking out the pictures of your Element JB.
    Paralyze resistance with persistence.
    T-12

Jeepin, check out this thread that was started a few months ago...

http://carecure.org/forum/showthread...ighlight=drive

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

i drive a cavalier, 2 door. i don't have a pic but i have to disassemble it piece by piece. w/practice you can do it pretty fast

Whatever you get remember this....MENOX! MENOX! MENOX! So easier to drive than the others.

I have a Dodge Magnum RT with the Hemi.

The doors open very wide and have generous openings for transferring my Ti-Lite TRA that I put onto the passengers seat.

The "wow" factor with this car has been unbelieveable, I have had it for 2 years and people still look, gawk,give thumbs up, and ask about it.