Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the ideal wagon/suv for wheelchair driver

What is the ideal wagon/suv for wheelchair driver

At home I drive a Volvo XC70. But when I travel I like to rent a vehicle that has enough room in the back to fit a fully assembled wheelchair. I rented the Pontiac Vibe and I had to fold both rear seats in order for my chair to fit. So I need something with more cargo room that will not break my bank to rent (the Volvo rents for over US$500.00 a week). Any ideas??

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    At home I drive a Volvo XC70. But when I travel I like to rent a vehicle that has enough room in the back to fit a fully assembled wheelchair. I rented the Pontiac Vibe and I had to fold both rear seats in order for my chair to fit. So I need something with more cargo room that will not break my bank to rent (the Volvo rents for over US$500.00 a week). Any ideas??
    magnum
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Fuente is right. But watch, if you have long legs it can be tricky to transfer.
    I transfered into one when the auto-show was in town. They are nice but me being 6"2" tall I found there wasn't much leg room and the transfer was rather difficult with the side pilar in between the drivers and passenger door.

I can't think of any other vehicles off the top of my head, but will post as soon as I come up with something. -Ed-

I am 6'1 myself. But I have found that by lifting one leg into the car it makes it much easier to transfer into a smaller car. Try looking for a Dodge Magnum but havent found any company that rents it.

im 6'2 nick. if your used to a 4 door its a breeze.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    I am 6'1 myself. But I have found that by lifting one leg into the car it makes it much easier to transfer into a smaller car. Try looking for a Dodge Magnum but havent found any company that rents it.
    Yes, I realize that. I do that to get into my parents Crown Vic. Then my dad has a F-350 Dually, that's a bitch to get in. The transfer is about 18 inches to the top of the seat from my chair.

Yeah, Fuente, Guess your used to the four door. I just perfer all the room when transfering. -Ed-

I have an "03" Durango as my daily driver. I prefer getting into and out it over a car. I'm 5'-11" but with the hardware in my neck it's difficult for me to bend my head getting into and out of a car so I usually hit my head going in and coming out. The Durango I don't have to worry about that. My chair fits in the back without having to disassemble it but that only happens if someone is with me.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Subaru Forester. The seat height is the same as Sally's wheelchair so it is easy for me to transfer her. The chair fits in the back fully assembled, although I remove one wheel because she has extender wheels and they make the chair just a little too heavy for me. I found that with one wheel removed I can also fit the chair in the back of our suzuki aerio wagon. Tight fit, but saves on gas.

Sandi

Chevy Equinox or Pontiac Torrent will also fit an assembled chair in back.

i got a 99 dodge durango 4X4. it sits higher off the ground but not as high as pick ups do. i love it being high. i cant stand to get into cars. much rather have the car seat a lil bit higher than my wheelchair seat.
    Josh S.
    T6 complete as of 7/17/03