Thread: Paralyzed by faulty chemotherapy drug, man awarded $18M

Paralyzed by faulty chemotherapy drug, man awarded $18M

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...603310482/1070

Paralyzed by faulty chemotherapy drug, man awarded $18M
    Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 03/31/06

BY LONNIE MACK
    GANNETT NEW JERSEY

NEW BRUNSWICK — A 25-year-old Toms River man paralyzed from the waist down after receiving a contaminated chemotherapy treatment for leukemia has been awarded $18 million by a Superior Court jury in New Brunswick.

The jury found Eun Mi Jhun, the pharmacist who prepared the contaminated medication, responsible for the paralysis, according to attorney William Crutchlow of the Edison law firm of Eichen, Levinson and Crutchlow.

The contaminated dose was injected into the spine of Anton Weck of Toms River on May 15, 2001. Weck had been undergoing treatments for three years and had been cured of his leukemia, Crutchlow said. The dose was to be Weck's 26th and final chemotherapy treatment at Saint Peter's University Hospital in New Brunswick

Weck, a former arcade operator on the boardwalk at Seaside Heights and now a computer technologist for the Cerebral Palsy Association of Middlesex County, will receive $17.5 million for pain and suffering and $500,000 for lost wages, said Crutchlow, who tried the case along with his partner William Levinson.

The substance destroyed Weck's spinal cord and caused him to be paralyzed from the waist down.

St. Peter's University Hospital was named in the suit but was not found responsible for any of the damages, Crutchlow said.

I think that sometimes these kinds of stories give the public the impression that the majority of people with paralysis get big financial awards from insurance companies because of accidents/malpractice or whatever, and that somehow this is fair compensation.
    I am one of those that did in fact get a settlement (nowhere near as huge as the one above I have to add!!), but I would give it all up in a flash if I could turn the clock back and be the old me again.
    Last edited by carbar; 05-28-2006 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carbar
    I think that sometimes these kinds of stories give the public the impression that the majority of people with paralysis get big financial awards from insurance companies because of accidents/malpractice or whatever, and that somehow this is fair compensation.
    I am one of those that did in fact get a settlement (nowhere near as huge as the one above I have to add!!), but I would give it all up in a flash if I could turn the clock back and be the old me again.
    I've said it before and i'll say it again. I'd rather be a billion dollars
    in debt for the rest of my life, than be a spinal cord injury.