Thread: Proprioception?

Proprioception?

I was wondering have many studies been done on proprioception? The reason i ask is because when a treatment/cure comes about is this taken into consideration or is it just about movement and sensation? My proprioception is very bad. My limbs feel a lot shorter than they actually are. Has anyone had improvement of proprioception through any treatment? Could Dr. Wise shed some light on this?

Quote Originally Posted by cluskey007
    I was wondering have many studies been done on proprioception? The reason i ask is because when a treatment/cure comes about is this taken into consideration or is it just about movement and sensation? My proprioception is very bad. My limbs feel a lot shorter than they actually are. Has anyone had improvement of proprioception through any treatment? Could Dr. Wise shed some light on this?
    Cluskey, proprioception is mediated by the posterior column system, the same that also carries information about touch sensation. It is one of the sensory scores in the ASIA (American Spinal Injury Associaton) and obviously an important part of coordinated movements.

I find it very interesting that you are describing your limbs as feeling "shorter" than they actually are. Most of the time, proprioception can be corrected by visual information. There are some people who have motor control but little or not sensation. These people nevertheless can do a lot with visual correction of their movements.

I had always thought proprioceptive deficiencies and should be largely correctable with a training. It would be very interesting if it is not. I wonder how many people share your experience.

Wise.