Thread: Transendental Meditation

Transendental Meditation

"The IN thing during the 70's" and since viewing the PBS Special hosted by Dana Reeves on "Stress" as it relates to injury/illness on 23/29/06,
    I wonder if any of you do it? If you have, how do you feel it helped
    you? Do you still do it today?

Queen
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

It's a shame more of us do not do this! ""meditation""

It only takes 20 minutes out of your day and has benefits too!

From the Special I saw on March 29th, this could be quite helpful to us in many ways as it helps lower blood pressure, keeps your immune system in check, and lots of other benefits too.
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

TM is just one type of meditation used for stress management. I work with the nurse in this article about the program we have at the VA in San Diego. A number of our staff as well as some of our SCI veterans have taken and benefited from the course:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524841

The technique used is based on the work at this center. You can get the books and learn this on your own if you don't have access to classes:

http://www.easwaran.org/index.cfm

(KLD)

A psychologist I used to see tried to get me to do 'visual imagery' to heal my feet. I must admit - it did seem to work. The hard part is trying to find those 20mins per day!!!

I have a friend that just went through detox/rehab and he found he really liked the 30mins meditation they had first thing in the morning as well as another 30mins last thing at night.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I meditate each day, started in rehab as did Lynnifer's friend. It's a great way to end my day and does seem to assist with decreasing my pain levels. The days I meditate to begin always seem to go more smoothly.

A friend gave me a CD and I listen to it each evening. This totally gay man leads me through breathing and visualization. There are sounds of the ocean and gulls, plus this voice leading me through guided imagery.

It works.

I did TM in '76. Here in the Bible Belt it was not cool, so I hear. My first meditations were the best. It did seem to help de-stress me since I was schooling during the day and working second shift. I fell like I was walking on clouds for a while. It was not something I could stick with on a regular schedule and post injury I've noticed nothing.

But there is something to it, if you can commit to it.

It's Bill who has the sci so most of my pain is in my heart ..... I couldn't BE without meditation of some sort .... if you can even find 5 mins morn and night it will be a blessing ..... may there be peace in your hearts !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I caught this thread a little late.

I just wanted to say that I meditate. For four years in Boston, I used to do an hour every evening; nowadays, I do about 20 minutes. It's funny how it took me a while to learn how to just sit still. Not so simple. Once I got a hold of that, I added deep breathing and then worked my way up to visualization. The time spent in meditation is time spent working on your "inside". The effect of meditation is seen in everyday challenges - family, work, traffic, etc - when you stay grounded and operate from your core. It is definitely worth looking into if you haven't tried it already.