Thread: pain in my leg

pain in my leg

A couple days ago I had the strangest thing happen to me... I was sitting in my chair (duh when am i not? ) and my right leg was pushed up against the seat of my chair. All of a sudden, I felt like someone was cutting my leg with a knife where it was touching my seat; I looked at my leg ans found there was a light line where left from the seat. it was the strangest thing. It hasn't happened again since then. Is this normal? Should I be going to a neurologist?
    Also that same day I was having a weird pain in my right foot. It was like I had been stading on something very hard all day with all of my weight on my heel and my bone felt like it was aching. it was the first time i'd ever felt anything like that and It hasn't happened again either.
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

I get that pain on both thighs all the time. My Rehab. Doctor told me it is neuro. pain sent from the brain. Or even most times if your spinal cord have a hair line still connected the pain will shoot and zap and cause the pain. Hmm...the pain I get are sometime unbearable because its catches me off guard. I don't know if this is the same pain you get. But there is a pain meds call neurontin for it. I would deny it. At this point I'm willing to take any pain to get feelings to my legs again.
    "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get." Mr. Gump

Quote Originally Posted by Tucool2000
    I get that pain on both thighs all the time. My Rehab. Doctor told me it is neuro. pain sent from the brain. Or even most times if your spinal cord have a hair line still connected the pain will shoot and zap and cause the pain. Hmm...the pain I get are sometime unbearable because its catches me off guard. I don't know if this is the same pain you get. But there is a pain meds call neurontin for it. I would deny it. At this point I'm willing to take any pain to get feelings to my legs again.
    yeah I took neurontin in the hospital; I refuse to take any medication unless its absolutely necessary. Im definitely with you on the feeling anything I can in my legs. I gotta say tho, the pain in my leg the other day was pretty crazy. Not enough to take meds tho.
    It sounds like you've had the same pain. it seemed like it was totally random. I thought that at 2+ years post I'd be done with the weird new feelings though.
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtMonkey
    yeah I took neurontin in the hospital; I refuse to take any medication unless its absolutely necessary. Im definitely with you on the feeling anything I can in my legs. I gotta say tho, the pain in my leg the other day was pretty crazy. Not enough to take meds tho.
    It sounds like you've had the same pain. it seemed like it was totally random. I thought that at 2+ years post I'd be done with the weird new feelings though.

Sorry to have to break the news to you Buttmonkey but I think our SCI experience exposes us to weird new feelings for the rest of our lives. At least that's been the experience of my 24 years since my SCI.

I agree with you about the meds route...for the most part over the last 24 yrs I only took 5mg of valium at night for spasms and ditropan for the bladder. My quality of life was much higher the fewer meds I was on. Lately I've been put on a lot more meds for my central pain but I am already trying to figure out which are worthless and knock them down to a level where my" relief" from central pain feels doable. I don't want to white knuckle it for the rest of my life or sleep so I am seeking that magical balance.

T

I have tried to get off the neurontin and man it's I couldn't the pain seem to be so strong that I just didn't know how to stop it.. Well I'm now on 800mg 3 times aday the pain is ok for the most part. I have pain in the feet so bad that I can't wear shoe for no more then 1 hour or so.. Does it happen to you?

The one huge thing that I have found since my spinal cord injuries occured is that ANYTHING is possible as far as sensations and pains and other things that will just suddenly "pop in' out of nowhere,and the worst "sensations"?that I cannot even put into words.

I was told by my NS that this would be my "normal' forever most likely.the thing is,once your cord is actually damaged in some way,things are just not "normal' anymore,you know what i mean/you have spinal nerves and tracts that are damaged and will show that by emitting bizarre and freaky things.The nerves just cannot 'make sense' of themselves anymore,or at least thats what it actually feels like.

my spinal cord was damaged from the inside out due to a surgery to try and remove a cavernoma that had taken up residence there, I guess before I was even born.despite the fact that I had asked my NS three full pages of questions pre op just to make sure I felt somewhat comfortable with my decision,I was NEVER ever told about the possibility of this hidious ongoing neuro nightmare that I have been living in for over two years now.

when i asked about pain post op,all that he told me was that the first few days I was going to suffer some 'very severe pain'oh,he was sooo right about that one.but that was it.nothing at all about the possibility of any of the ongoing crap i deal with now on a 24/7 basis.ironically,one of the reasons for the surgery was to actually try and "lessen' the horrid gnawing pressure type of pain that was underneath my shoulder blade.the only way I got any real relief from that one was when I would have to actually grind the shoulder blade really really hard,into a wall.

The fact that my cavernoma sat directly almost in the middle of my thalamic tract should have at the very least,told him that I could end up with the central pain.i also now have a severely damaged pain pathway since that runs thru that tract as well.according to my NS ALL of my pain signals are being "deranged".it feels as bad as it sounds.They also damaged my sns so now I also have RSD in my R knee along with a ton of other crap in there too.

my "painsations' are just so bizarre,unpredictable and down right creepy sometimes.no two days in a row are ever the same for me,ever.something is always different the next day from when I went to bed the night before.it could be a pain that has just turned into a wierd sensation or a sensation that has now turned into some freaky type of pain.and this will usually include just changes in my overall neruo status.

once those nerves and or tracts have been actually damaged in any way,everything that stems from,or is emmited from that particular nerve and the area it actually innervates will also be 'damaged" and just not normal anymore.if I could just get a bit of a handle on it or if something would actually just stabilize,it would make things sooo much easier to handle.It's the constant changes that make me feel like some kind of a victim of a "stalker" or something.I am sure you know what I mean by that one.i just hate seeing what these little yelps and tiny screams out of the blue are doing to my family,espescially my kids,ya know/it cannot be easy watching a parent waddling around the house in agony letting out little screams once in a while.We DO talk about it,so thats good.but this all just sucks.it is nice to know that you are not alone with all this crap.no one ever really understands all this except all of you that are having to deal with all of this crap too,unfortunetly.heres to a low yelp day to you all.Marcia

Quote Originally Posted by lsbrave
    I have tried to get off the neurontin and man it's I couldn't the pain seem to be so strong that I just didn't know how to stop it.. Well I'm now on 800mg 3 times a day the pain is ok for the most part. I have pain in the feet so bad that I can't wear shoe for no more then 1 hour or so.. Does it happen to you?
    I have the shoe pain; i need to take at least an ultram before putting a shoe on to numb it up a bit. I only found one pair of shoes in years of searching that i can wear due to pain. (With ultram). Open toed sandals do not cause the pain that the closed shoe cause, the plastic clogs i wear inside do not cause any pain, i carry them with me when i visit people nowadays ,
    I found a new type on shoe i will be trying as soon as the weather warms up.
    I found that lyrica help a lot with the shoe pain , taking 150 mg a day, without that I would have been wearing sandals all winter

neuropathic pain is bizarre the cutting tearing pain is part of the game ,
    i have rsd also. luckily its in remission. extremely painful stuff.
    this is the footwear i just got, any touching of the toes causes pain so i need very wide toes, of course afo makes it harder to fit.
    http://www.mionfootwear.com/
    Last edited by metronycguy; 04-09-2006 at 10:43 AM.
    cauda equina