Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Any Paralyzed Amputees?

Any Paralyzed Amputees?

As a result of a pressure sore? Please PM me or respond here. I have concerns about transferring or the stump healing. It won't be until early next year and at this point - left leg. I'm hoping at the knee because with anything hanging below that, I'm afraid it would get in my way when transferring.

The paralysis wins, yay.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

That shit sux.
    Sorry Lynnifer.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Sorry Lynnifer

Lynnifer, I know one or two thru a yahoo group that I'm in but I don't think they read or post on CC. If you'd like, I can e-mail them and ask them to e-mail you personally. Let me know if you'd like me to. That really sucks, I'm so sorry
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

That would be great Broknwing. I'd like to get in contact with others to find out what I'm in for .. what tranfers will be like .. how much they were stared at (lol) etc

I couldn't believe yesterday. I told the doctor I would take death first - I ran the full gammet of emotions during the two hour drive home (was tempted to drive into an underpass and end it). Two things he said kept ringing in my head: 1) He has people who come and beg him to hack their problem pressure sored limbs off ... 2) I would have my life back.

The second is the kicker that changed my mind. For too many years these sores have run my life. Can't go anywhere because my foot is swollen, tired all the time, sickly, missing a lot of work the last two years. It runs my life.

And to think I was planning on asking him for the electrical stimulation again ... I never did get to try a wound VAC. I took a pamphlet on VAC and see there's a number to call for a trial.

I'll have to go back on the PICC line as well. I've done that 3x now. Should be able to work full time on that - no biggie. I just hate that I failed ... I will never understand why some wounds are worse for others.

I have until October to come up with a miracle - otherwise we go ahead. This doctor is the President of the Canadian Wound Care Association so I have to respect his opinion - even though I've been told this at least 5x's before.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 03-29-2006 at 10:35 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Lynnifer, I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

lynnifer i am so sorry i will be praying for you
    For every minute you're angry you lose a second of happiness

lynnifer, this must be very tough news to face. You are right to want to talk to others who have gone through it. It may not make it any easier but at least you won't feel alone. You should never feel like you have failed - often in the luck of the draw there is no bloody luck and that is just not fair.
    I only know one amputee and he is able-bodied, but what I do know from him is that he is so happy now that his blasted leg is gone. For nearly 2 years he was in and out of hospital with infection after infection, from septicemia to osteomyelitis, as a result of a spider bite he got in Mexico. Although he is a doctor he refused to have the leg (below the knee) amputated until finally he was persuaded that his life would be so much better if it was gone.
    I know yours and his case are totally different, but for him to be free of infection, free of antibiotics, dressings, feeling so sick, he feels like a new person. I hope that you will feel the same if you do indeed need to go through with it. I wish only the best outcome for you.

Lynnifer ~ I'm very sorry that you have received this news. I'm sure it is a very emotional time. I too wish you only the best ~ and will hope for a miracle for you by October.

Stay strong.

I hope you find something to avoid amputation.

Take care.