Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: John McDonald/NTT Project Underway

Paoloccipola and Lief,
    I believe you have hit the critical point. ASC, ESC, hydrogel implants, growth factors etc. are all irrelevant. The critical point is funding. Funding comes from political influence. We do not have it and until we organize and demand federal funding we will languish.

WCR
    WCR is correct. Money is the issue. However, I would like to make two points. First of all, if a therapy is successful, be it something like Keirstead's remyelinating spinal cords and demonstrating he can get some people out of their chairs or be it non-sci related but the result of an ESC therapy, say Parkinson Disease or diabetes, the money will flow. Secondly, it may take the leaders in Congress or the White House awhile but someday they will realize healthcare is going to bankrupt this nation faster and more irrevocably than terrorism. At that time, they will have an epiphany and understand that curative or restorative therapies for those with chronic healthcare needs are more important than nation building or war or the religious ideological gumbo they are currently feeding us.

So, demonstrate ESC works and you change the dynamic of funding. Or, eventually the cost of care will be the mother for the invention of cure and the money will flow.

Personally, I believe that religious conservatives are going to have egg all over their faces during my lifetime for having delayed the inevitable for as long as they have. The politicians come and go and will be forgotten for their pandering to these groups. Dogma, however, is forever. Sorry, but healthcare karma is going to run over their dogma unless they put it on a leash.

John
    Last edited by john smith; 04-01-2006 at 07:58 PM.
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    Is a person has to try and do the best they can do even in knowing that the rally probabley will not make much of difference as the leaders in the USA are such arrogant people, 100 to 150 people gathered in front of the capital really is not going to make that much of difference. It amazes me that the people of the USA stand for such leadership in their country. But at least a person has to try and change things, what more can one do?
    Curt, last year's rally was a very interesting experience. I went there with very much of the same thought that you had, not wanting to hope that a bunch of people talking to senators and representatives in Washington would make a difference. Perhaps Congress was ready to pull the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act out of the mothballs. Perhaps it was the efforts of specific individuals before the rally that did the trick. But, that week, the CRPA was re-introduced on the floors of both the Senate and the House of Representatives. Nobody expected the bill to be associated with any appropriation because of the desperate budget situation. In fact, we explicitly told everybody that we should try to get the bill passed even without money, hoping that the the bill would establish the desire of Congress and that Congress may see fit to add funds to the bill when the budget was better. To our surprise, they added $300 million of appropriations to the bill. I think the rally really made that happen. The bill hasn't passed yet but there are champions of the bill in both the House and Senate.

Let me tell you a story. In the mid-1990's, I went down to Washington DC with Arthur Ullian to lobby Congress for spinal cord injury funding. We went on the rounds and talked to the staff of all the representatives and senators that Arthur knew. They kept telling us to go back and get grassroots support. So, we tried. I think it was 1994 (before Christopher). Arthur resurrected the National Council for Spinal Cord Injury Associations (NCSCIA) and started to write letters. In November of that year, during a Neuroscience meeting that was being held in Washington DC, I passed out flyers to scientists at the meeting and asked all the people that I knew to come. Arthur rented a mailbox in Hope (Arkansas), organized a letter campaign, shipped the letters from Hope to the rally. We were going to rent 50 wheelchairs and roll the bags of mail to the White House where we would meet President Clinton and the First Lady. Well, it happened but no money materialized. In 1996, we were asked back to testify to the Senate by Tom Harkin and Alan Specter. In 1997, they passed a Sense of the Senate Resolution to double NIH funding. The rest is history.

John Ditunno gave me a book about lobbying in 1994 which likened lobbying to being at a dance. You have to get the courage to ask the girl to dance. One dance doesn't do it. You have to keep asking and keep dancing.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 04-01-2006 at 08:45 PM.

Who knows

Thanks Wise, Maybe this time around we will get the CR bill passed and make a real long lasting impression, that would be so awesome and perhaps it would start a snowball effect.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-01-2006 at 10:23 PM.

Totally agree with you John, I think the pendulum will eventually swing in our favor

Quote Originally Posted by john smith
    WCR is correct. Money is the issue. However, I would like to make two points. First of all, if a therapy is successful, be it something like Keirstead's remyelinating spinal cords and demonstrating he can get some people out of their chairs or be it non-sci related but the result of an ESC therapy, say Parkinson Disease or diabetes, the money will flow. Secondly, it may take the leaders in Congress or the White House awhile but someday they will realize healthcare is going to bankrupt this nation faster and more irrevocably than terrorism. At that time, they will have an epiphany and understand that curative or restorative therapies for those with chronic healthcare needs are more important than nation building or war or the religious ideological gumbo they are currently feeding us.

So, demonstrate ESC works and you change the dynamic of funding. Or, eventually the cost of care will be the mother for the invention of cure and the money will flow.

Personally, I believe that religious conservatives are going to have egg all over their faces during my lifetime for having delayed the inevitable for as long as they have. The politicians come and go and will be forgotten for their pandering to these groups. Dogma, however, is forever. Sorry, but healthcare karma is going to run over their dogma unless they put it on a leash.

John
    Thats one reason time predictions make absolutely no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Instead of discussing years, discuss actions to have it here. Why not?
    So agreed.

Passing the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act even though it does not come with any more funding is crucial to having more companies like Geron, being ready for ACTION.

MacDonald's too has been more restrained in his work by the lack of a political go ahead on ESCR than anything else.

Politics first,......then money will flow.

BTW for those who are afraid passing of the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act will take money away from ASCR, rest assured:

the 2007 budget calls for about 700 million in stem cell research of which 95% will be going to ASCR, up from 85% just last year.

Please click on the links in my signature to move the political process along to help companies like Geron and John McDonald's NTT Project. Their actions is what we need most......

Once the SCREA is passed it will be easier for Dr. Mc Donald to raise money even in the private sector, cause it would take away the appearance that he is dabbling in federally "unapproved research".

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

confused

I'm really confused here. I contacted Dr. McDonald back in 2002 and he told me that therapies WOULD BE READY in 5 years. Now he is saying at least 7 years until trials start? This is too inconsistent, and if I had faith in his words, I'd hand him a check, seriously, myself for $2 million. But you know what, he'd better damn well have a more accurate and precise plan than what he has now. Also, if all these are aimed for acute injuries, forget about it! This only means that they have serious doubts about treating chronics, since chronics would make the best test subjects. It would be pretty obvious if someone had nothing, then improved by a fraction, to gauge the level of effectiveness. This focus on acutes is damaging, and in my view, running around the main issue of treating SCI.

damagedgoods,

If McDonald can have all three clinical trial phases successfully completed in less than 7 years and show significant efficacy, would be impressive. As I understand, it is not 7 years to trials, but 7 years for completion up to and including phase III. If so, his group would be the first to offer large scale treatments, being essentially available by 2013 or 2014.

I also understand his work is aimed at chronics.

I suggest you contact the e-mial provided or call the phone number for clarification and accurate answers to your questions.

Schmecky,

I know your very realistic but can I ever read anything that is optimistic from you? I think more so than You being impressed- the world would be impressed! These scientists are working as hard as they possibly can and by all means please things are gonna happen in less than 7 years. Proof of efficiancy will be here in less than 5. Dr. McDonald is working on chronics and a lot of his studies are kinda secretive, I dont think hes bragging about his work but giving timelines he feels he should be ready. Honestly we should all calm down, take a chill pill- and relax- s--- is gonna pop.

Well Said Spidergirl!!!!!! Less Than 5 Years I Also Think Is Right. Ok Dr. Wise, Could You Please Talk To Dr. Mcdonald When We Are All In Washington, Maybe You Two Great Men Could Work Togehter. Just A Thought--- Wish----dream---- Hope---

Judy, I'm thrilled to learn that Dr. Andres Hurtado, from the Miami Project, has joined the NNT.

The Miami Project has the capability of carrying out clinical trials!!!

I assume Dr. Hurtado is still employed at the Miami Project, just like McDonald is working at the Kennedy Krieger Insitute.

Dr. McDonald was Christopher Reeve's most recent doctor, so we've already got Great Men working on this.

BTW let's keep in mind that this is a Nuclear Transfer ( ESCR ) Project and researchers in the US want this kind of research to get the official nod forward more than anything else.

Passing of the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act would really help get more of these Projects off the ground.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl