Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: John McDonald/NTT Project Underway

Posted by Wise Young
    The CRPA can support clinical trials and studies of embryonic stem cell research therapies, if Congress passed SCREA or a new President were to come and reverse the executive decisions made by President Bush. Spinal cord injury research is more than embryonic stem cell research, and embryonic stem cell research is more than spinal cord injury research. The equation of the two is inappropriate.
    It is a big if. and until that if is taken care of the CR Bills will have little effect on ESC research. At such an exciting time when there are two promising treatments being considered, both struggling for funding, both involved with ESC in some way, and also the treatment is amazingly for SCI. Yes SCI, not heart, cancer, parkinsons, SCI. And here on a big sci forum, we are not really pushing it along. It is sad. Not too long ago, I saw here, the CR Bills are "Nothing about ESC" And now some pushers of the CR Bills have been saying it will fund McDonalds and Hans research. At least Dr. Young has finally said that can only happen if we pass the SCREA. So what are we doing about that? I would like to see what ESC is capable of, we have been working on adult stem cells for a much longer time which gets considerably more funding than ESC. To push the CR Bills the way things stand would only make the funding for adult stem cell that much more lopsided.

Quote Originally Posted by howboutdis
    both struggling for funding, both involved with ESC in some way, and also the treatment is amazingly for SCI.
    Geron's proposed trial isn't struggling for funding at all. They have the funding they need to carry the trial out.

The CRPA can fund ESC research using the Bush approved lines, which Okarma says are perfectly fine.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Geron's proposed trial isn't struggling for funding at all. They have the funding they need to carry the trial out.

The CRPA can fund ESC research using the Bush approved lines, which Okarma says are perfectly fine.
    Again, I find your reply rather self serving.

1. Geron is one of the only companies who stuck it out with the restrictions currently in place.
    2. It is not about geron, but all the other promising treatments that would arise if the restrictions were lifted.

It is a big if. and until that if is taken care of the CR Bills will have little effect on ESC research. At such an exciting time when there are two promising treatments being considered, both struggling for funding, both involved with ESC in some way, and also the treatment is amazingly for SCI. Yes SCI, not heart, cancer, parkinsons, SCI. And here on a big sci forum, we are not really pushing it along. It is sad. Not too long ago, I saw here, the CR Bills are "Nothing about ESC" And now some pushers of the CR Bills have been saying it will fund McDonalds and Hans research. At least Dr. Young has finally said that can only happen if we pass the SCREA. So what are we doing about that? I would like to see what ESC is capable of, we have been working on adult stem cells for a much longer time which gets considerably more funding than ESC. To push the CR Bills the way things stand would only make the funding for adult stem cell that much more lopsided.
    Howboutdis,

What is your point? Johns Hopkins just received $100 million for embryonic stem cell research. Maryland just passed $15 million per year for embryonic stem cell research, most of which will probably go to Johns Hopkins. I have been pushing as hard as possible on all fronts to get the $300 million per year of Proposition 71 funded in California that would help the Reeve-Irvine Center move forward with their embryonic stem cell research. I have been lobbying for SCREA from its inception.

So, what have you done lately for embryonic stem cell research besides criticizing others?

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 04-09-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    So, what have you done lately for embryonic stem cell research besides criticizing others?

Wise.
    Indirectly are you saying unless someone is a noted advocate they should not enter a conversation about advocacy?

Indirectly are you saying unless someone is a noted advocate they should not enter a conversation about advocacy?
    Directly, I am asking you what you have done for embryonic stem cell research?

Wise.

Directly, I am asking you what you have done for embryonic stem cell research?

Wise.
    Exactly, and then the typical carecure put down, if you don't do anything you shouldn't criticize others. Educating would be a better choice of word than critcizing. It almost seems like that is the way things get stifled here. Why do you want to silence me, I have not criticized anyone, or put them down, just have been suggesting passing the CR Bills without getting the SCREA appoved it has been false to say the CR bills would fund works like Keirstead and McDonald. Is there anything wrong that I brought that up?

Exactly, and then the typical carecure put down, if you don't do anything you shouldn't criticize others. Educating would be a better choice of word than critcizing. It almost seems like that is the way things get stifled here. Why do you want to silence me, I have not criticized anyone, or put them down, just have been suggesting passing the CR Bills without getting the SCREA appoved it has been false to say the CR bills would fund works like Keirstead and McDonald. Is there anything wrong that I brought that up?
    Instead of preaching to the choir, it might be helpful if you turned your efforts to the James Kelly's of the world who really are against you. I'm quite sure all the people who are for embryonic stem cell research really appreciate you whining on their behalf (I sure do).

... And people wonder why more doctors and scientists don't participate in forums like this? By the way, why not just call Dr. McDonald directly and ask him what he thinks of CRPA? I'm sure he would appreciate you pitting his research against Christopher and Dana .

Dr. Young you are misrepresenting what I said:
    Faye,

You are misrepresenting both the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act (CRPA) and spinal cord injury research. The CRPA can support clinical trials and studies of embryonic stem cell research therapies if Congress passed SCREA or a new President were to come and reverse the executive decisions made by President Bush. Spinal cord injury research is more than embryonic stem cell research, and embryonic stem cell research is more than spinal cord injury research. The equation of the two is inappropriate.
    CRPA can fund ESCR ONLY IF the Stem cell research Enhancement Act is passed, is exactly what I've said.........no misrepresentation on my part. Where did I ever equate ESCR with SCI research? Seems like you are trying to shift/derail the conversation by stating common wisdom.

Your statements insinuating that I do not support embryonic stem cell research are simply wrong.
    Saying that Dr. Mcdonald's and Keirsted's work would benefit more from the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, and your work more from the CRPA............,is insinuating you do not support Stem Cell Research? Give me a break.

I was under the impression that your work involved UCB stem cell research which would actually benefit from CRPA, however nowhere did I say nor did I insinuate that you did not support ESCR.

Finally, you don't know what you are talking about when you say CRPA will only provide "partial cures".
    Again, nowhere did I say such a thing. Merely that so far we only have partial cures to test in a clinical trial setting, as seen from the current available treatments overseas which have generated very limited results.

I stand by my statement which I don't think can be refuted:
    It is the way the CRPA is being presented as THE PANACEA for ALL SCI repair, that is creating the schism that is causing the divisiveness here on CC. It is deceptive to claim that the CRPA would help McDonald and Keirsted, when they would be primarily helped by the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act.

Politicians need to be presented with both needs by our community:
    1. The Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act
    2. CRPA

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Howboudis,

You are criticizing CareCure members and me for not supporting SCREA and embryonic stem cell research when you yourself apparently have done little to support the research. What have you done to support embryonic stem cell research in New Jersey? Have your written to your local newspaper about embryonic stem cell research? Have you been to Trenton or written to your legislators to get the bonds passed? Are you planning to be at the Rally in April/May? Have you written letters to your Republican representatives in New Jersey to ask them to support SCREA and CRPA when people who are going down there meet them? You ask me to put down SCREA on my signature when you yourself have not done so? You seem very concerned about supporting embryonic stem cell research at Johns Hopkins but have you written to Governor Erlich or any of the legislators in Maryland to support the research? Are you helping their fundraising effort? If you are so concerned about embryonic stem cell research at the Reeve-Irvine Cener, what have you done to protest the holdback of $3 billion funding of embryonic stem cell research by Proposition 71 in California? Have you bothered to ask if any of the $100 million donated to Johns Hopkins by Mayor Bloomberg or the $15 million appropriated in the Maryland legislature is going to support the stem cell research that you want to see funded? There are so many opportunities and ways for you to support embryonic stem cell research but all you do is criticize others for supporting CRPA which is for all of spinal cord injury clinical trials. If you are so concerned, then please do something about it.

Wise.