Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: John McDonald/NTT Project Underway

Quote Originally Posted by zokarkan
    Schmeky,

Thanks for that information. I would like to see the time lines of other research organizations but I don't know where to find them. Could you please help me out with this? Thanks in advance Schmeky
    I can't tell you the discovery time lines for other research organizations, since most of them will not concede one.

The time lines to treatment will always be dictated by clinical trials, which, as we have discussed before, will take a minimum of 7 years on up to complete.

Cherrylips,

There have not been any trials I am aware of that have been annouced and started as predicted. They have all either died on the vine, started later, or are still in the process of getting started. So, the moral of the story is, don't set your watch by SCI clinical trial time lines.

I wish McDonald could to this in 7 years or less. He may.

Unhappy general picture I see

Money drives politics, then politics decide what to do with money left.
    When politics want to cure us the cure will be ready in little time, so assuming we have researchers I think we need to focus on politics, may be if we stick together we can try to drive politics...

Yes. Because there are good politicians as well.

I think this task is too huge that we can fix it by our self. It is also just a very few private companies that can help us as well at this time, this because in biotech it is very difficult as it is now to get long term investors and venture capital into it. So I agree Paolo. We need to have the politicians onboard. We need federal and government funding to do this along with academia playing a role. Otherwise it will take a long time. Just look at it how it is today, it is basically just a few companies working toward a cure for SCI, and it is also just parts of a cure they are working on and many of them are also just working in the Petri dishes. Government and federal funding and good politics are a must!

WCR.
    I think you are right here. We can have fundraising here and there but it will only rise peanuts for what this research for a cure for SCI will cost at the end. Neither can small private companies do it. We will never have it this way. It will just be some fragmented research, a little bit here and a little bit there without coordination as well. - We need heavy funding, and this can only come from Federal and Government funding. We need much more of $3 Billion California and £120 Mill UK money. And not only that, we need a big piece of it directed DIRECTLY towards SCI research, if the money just goes into this general big black hole it will take more years. I think we have a heavy task ahead of us here, not only to demand the funding but also have it allocated towards SCI research directly. A cure for kidney cancer wouldn’t help us much, that’s the hard facts. And I agree with you, the SCI communities worldwide should be much more organized, it’s not good enough as it is now, the speed towards a treatment are much to slow. Like it is now, I think we just will be lucky if they find something within a few years. We can’t gamble on our luck I think. Much more pressure and communication with our politician is required, and not only for funding for research, but funding for SCI research. Leif

Exactly, you guys are making a lot of sense

Thats what I have been saying for years. The problem is though at least in the USA, the federal government has like zero interest in any type of medical research. The main interests are nation building, big business and tax cuts for the rich.

Curt. You could be right here as well here. That’s also why rallies like the ones some are having in Washington DC are important. Just make sure there will be no partying there, remove all the alcohol from the city, no fine dinners etc. Just continue discussions day and night with the lawmakers. Actually rallies like that should have been held four times a year, and then you could have followed up the lawmakers closely, also in media and the press. You have to be on top of them all the time. If necessary, quit your jobs to do that.
    Last edited by Leif; 04-01-2006 at 07:30 AM.

Well the way I look at it

Is a person has to try and do the best they can do even in knowing that the rally probabley will not make much of difference as the leaders in the USA are such arrogant people, 100 to 150 people gathered in front of the capital really is not going to make that much of difference. It amazes me that the people of the USA stand for such leadership in their country. But at least a person has to try and change things, what more can one do?

NTT project brochure attached

Here is the brochure as a PDF.

I e-mailed a guy I know who runs a web site for people with spinal cord injury in Colombia South America. We will see if he knows any more details or can update since he is local.

If anyone knows Spanish (I know very little), he has a pretty awesome web site.

http://www.lesionmedular.org/