Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: John McDonald/NTT Project Underway

John McDonald/NTT Project Underway

I am on the mailing list for John McDonald's NTT Project. I have recieved my second mailing and based on the cover letter enclosed, encouraging this information to be shared with family, friends, and colleagues, I am sharing.

The first letter provided details of the funding secured to date, expenses incurred to date, and a projection of future funding needs. In addition, a timeline was provided indicating an estimated treatment to humans in <7 years. According to the newsletter, strict protocols will be rigidly adhered to in order to achieve future FDA approval.

I recieved the second letter on March 24th, 06. It is a one pager, with printed information on both sides. The highlights include the following:

1. New facility construction from Jan 1 - May 1, 06
    2. Secure primates (Aotus monkies) Jan 1 - May 1, 06
    3. Create primate ES lines Jan 1 - May 1, 06
    4. Develop percutaneous transplantation May 1 - Sept 1, 06
    5. Dr. Andres Hurtado, from the Miami Project, has joined the NNT

Additionally, the newsletter gives some detail on tissue processing for immunoanalysis to examine the expression of neuronal, oligodendrocyte, and astrocyte markers in the spinal cord of the Aotus monkey. The letter further states it is "anticipated" that in the future these techniques could be applied to humans.

No claims of the degree of functional recovery are given. They also indicate 2 million dollars will be needed over the next 2 years to continue the project.

Contact information is provided as: (913) 669-5646, or e-mail: dobler@kennedykrieger.org

My objective is to share this public information with the forum members. If you have questions, please contact them.

This is not an endorsement, simply a sharing of information for those that have asked questions in the past about the progress of John McDonald's program.

I got that update too. I'm glad they started to send out updates.

Would either of you be able to scan the letter and upload it as an attachment?
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Steven,

I currently do not have a scanner. However, I will see what I can do at my former employer. They have a scanner. If you request, I can put you on the NTT mailing list. Let me know.

Thanks Schmeky. That would be appreciated.

No worries on scanning the document. Joy Dobler is trying to get me a PDF of it.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    In addition, a timeline was provided indicating an estimated treatment to humans in <7 years.
    Schmeky,

Is that under 7 years an estimate to get to trials or to become available to people? Sorry I didn't understand.

zokarkan,

As I understand it, yes, they are doing the clinical trials in Bogota, Columbia (South America), following FDA protocols. However, they will have to file at the end of their trials in the USA, so add another year or so. Then facilities in the USA will have to gear up for the procedure, and this may take a few years as well. You could probably save about 3 years by going to Bogota when the trials are completed.

Therefore the total time frame would be closer to 10 years before it trickled down to the common folks in other countries. I am not certain if their application will include chronics at this point. I'll see if I can get some additional information.

These time lines are not out of line with other research organizations. Meaningful applications to chronic humans are still many years away.
    Last edited by Schmeky; 03-30-2006 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky
    These time lines are not out of line with other research organizations. Meaningful applications to chronic humans are still many years away.
    Schmeky,

Thanks for that information. I would like to see the time lines of other research organizations but I don't know where to find them. Could you please help me out with this? Thanks in advance Schmeky
    Last edited by zoki83; 03-31-2006 at 08:53 AM.

Yes they are trialling chronics everybody. I also don't class <7 years as MANY years away when you consider the majority of people are told to makes friends with their wheelchairs for eternity. Of course it is still too long but I personally believe it will be sooner anyway, US or not, available to all or not, but here all the same

Instead of discussing years, discuss actions to have it here. Why not?