Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thinking of moving

Angry thinking of moving

Has anyone relocate to a another state and have health insurance problem? I'm currently residing in Cali having blue cross as a policy holder. I can't just discontinue the policy here and apply in texas due to SCI. Also if anyone living in Austin Texas can give me information about the therapy program there. I can't transfer my health insurance over so I have to convert but it gives me a higher premuim. Anybody had this problem when trying to relocate. So people with SCI can't move around?

St. David's Hospital has rehab. Warm Springs Rehab hospital is not too far away near San Antonio. and there is TIRR in Houston.

CWO

Can you be more clear about your insurance situation? Are you purchasing private insurance on your own (which is problematic if you have a pre-existing condition like SCI)? Are you covered under a parent's insurance? Are you employed and have a group plan? I assume you are not on Medicaid/Medicare since you mentioned Blue Cross.

(KLD)

All I know is that I may have messed up big time in trusting medicaid in Texas to be similar to it in Mn. and I let go of the private insurance we were able to get for my son yet couldn't continue affording it anyhow. After many calls to many physicians/clinics, what have you looking for someone who would either/or take a new patient (referred or not) with medicaid and the private insurance he had, I finally found one BUT it was hell finding one and the out of state coverage didn't matter to places that just don't accept that type insurance just as it doesn't matter to places that don't take medicaid...
    it hasn't been easy here figuring out where to go and to whom~
    you are moving to Austin then for sure? I will try to get some information for you as asked about rehab. centers, St. Davids is best I heard... but want to warn you if you aren't a workaholic/student and as well enjoy the social scene, it's a party place, money making/spendy city to live in. The roads, highways are a mess. But it's pretty, real pretty. There is lots to do. The weather is great and it's somewhat accessible for the most part. My son loves it here but he is young, likes to party, is very social and out to make money! Me, well I look forward to moving back to the country (even though we are in the nicest area which is south/southwest-which is a mix of country with city) and if he wasn't going to be able to attend the college of his dreams this fall, I'd say let's go back to dealing with winter and snow...it hasn't been easy finding our way in such a big city and different state rules/regulations...oh btw, plan on spending at least a couple hundred to change plates as well.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

thanks for replying,
    I bought Blue Cross before my accident and then a year later SCI. I called up Blue Cross of Cali and they told me if I discontinue my service here it would be hard to reapply in Texas. I would probadly be deny. So my only other option would be to convert the policy from cali to texas but the only catch is that my premuim would be double. I hope this answer some of your question nurse. I don't make alot of money so I don't know if I can afford it. Would I be able to apply for medical or medicare with SCI. Also the rehab places U mention; how far are they from Austin?, and do they accept inpatient program?. Tessime, thank for the info. I'm from a small town in Cali and I like it alot, don't know if I want to do city life. Are people there friendly no discrimination against disability, most places are accessible or not?

yeah htran u can apply for medicaid i know and u should be able to get medicare as well ...try asking ur dhs office in texas..i use to be on medicais in texas it was rather simple..just call them and ask what u can do...good luck

htran~ from what I understand medicaid (low income, etc.) is for those on ssi, medicare (quarters/time met employed prior your injury) is for those on ssdi. On ssdi, you can qualify for both but not on ssi. Are you currently receiving either?
    I don't know much about the rehabiliation programs around here except that my son is friends with someone well connected with St. David's I believe so I will ask him to get you information...
    What are your reasons for moving, is it out-patient rehabilitation you seek and/or other reasons?
    Does your current policy with Blue Cross include out of network services at a percentage, like 70% vs 90% if you kept your permanent residence in California? The reason I ask is this. My son had Medica, something like Blue Cross but it was a state insurance although privately purchased. He also had Medicaid. While he was rehabing in Florida, the place we found to do out-patient rehab. accepted both Medica and then Medicaid. Medica had an out of network clause in it, they paid a lesser percent as exampled above, what they didn't pay for, Medicaid picked up. He didn't have to change his residence to do out-patient rehab. and in the meantime see if he would eventually become a resident.
    Replacing private insurance once you let it go is from what I hear damn near impossible with a pre-existing condition. As posted before, I let my son's go thinking he would eventually qualify for medicare at the very least and most along with his medicaid...I was wrong. Although from what I am gathering once he starts working again and gets enough quarters in he might qualify, lord I hope so...it is sooo damned complicated to figure out what and who and when you can count on any of it!
    Anyhow, if I were you, I would try to hold onto it...until you know if you like Austin or wherever, you don't have to become a resident somewhere else if you are just there for college, rehabilitation, etc., but you will need to become a resident to receive the states services like V/R, assistive programs and eventually medicaid if you qualify. Medicaid is a state program, medicare I believe involves all states???
    I am tyring to find an information number I called to ask questions for this type stuff, it was a star * number...they directed me with things pretty well. I promise I will find it for you eventually here.
    In all honesty, htran I can't say any place/city we have been has been negative towards wheelers, let alone attitudes of people...but there have been places in big and small towns that just don't offer accessibility so we've just had to figure out a way in or out or go somewhere else.
    Austin is decently accessible, but probably more so in our eyes due to the warm weather, we were use to snow problems, etc. It's a college town basically and a major networking city. It is busy, busy, busy. The key would be to find an area to stay that works around your personal life, hobbies and work/rehabilitation needs/wants...not an easy thing to do but could be done with time and research.
    Tell me what you are looking for and why you are thinking of moving, I will be honest and guide you as best I can...I am still somewhat new to the area myself and don't venture out much but the kid does.
    Last edited by teesieme; 03-29-2006 at 02:03 AM.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

If you have the income to afford a private health insurance policy, it is very unlikely that you would qualify for Medicaid. You must own no more than a home and a vehicle, and have no more than $2000 in other assets (money in the bank, stocks/bonds, etc.) and must have a very low income.

Since you have a new injury, I assume you are not yet eligible for Medicare. Are you getting SSDI?

Getting a job and being eligible for a group plan (or marrying someone who has a group plan and can cover you on their insurance) is really the only current option available for people with serious disabilities to be able to get reasonable health insurance. Purchasing a private policy with an existing SCI is either not possible at all, or prohibitively expensive.

(KLD)

Teesime

Thanks for the info, the reason I'm moving cuz of quality of life. I work 6 days a week ten hours a day. My kids don't see me that much I'm always tired and I have no time for therapy. Basicly I'm sitting on my ass all day long with no improvement. I need to get to therapy so I figure I would have a lesser mortgage payment and my husband will have less stress on financial situation. I live in California where everthing is high and not affordable anymore. I own my own business so I bought my own insurance. I'm currently receiving SSID monthly. I've been injured about 1.5 year now with some sesation and movement and bowel and bladder. Not at the point where I want to be and believe I can go farther. Plus I have family in Austin and four families on my husband side are moving to Texas too. My kids and husband will have family there for them while I'm off to therapy. I don't know if I would qualify for medicaid cuz everything is in my name, my husband doesn' t have very good credit. I will have to check with this department when I get there. My anticipated date would be mid of next year. I just think ahead....

thank again for the infor teese

Ah, well this would be different for you then with family being in Texas (we are alone here), financially able and as well being on SSDI- so then you do have medicare I take it? I know of others who have both private insurance and medicare and even medicaid somehow. If it's the rehabilitation/therapy you seek too, yeah, being in the Austin/Dallas/Houston area is a good thing from what I have been told. I will be sure to get some information for you, I promise. I have a lot on our plate at this time too but I will do my best and if you'd like I have a friend who is an apartment/rent locator whom is very real and very nice. And as well, my neighbor of nine months is into real estate and he may be of help to you and your family as well, again, very nice and very real (I've no time for those that aren't). It's good to think ahead and try to get things ready ahead of time~ and yes, you need to find ways to work with your return. If you are use to small town/country living, you would probably like something outside of Austin but then you deal with heavy traffic to go to therapy...hmmm, well I will keep you and this in mind and send you info. as I get it, K? Take care~ Teresa

edited 'cause I just opened up the monthly medicaid paperwork and there is the number I have been trying to remember for you, it says:
    Your Texas Benefits.
    Call 2 1 1 (which I guess won't do until you are here.)
    or
    Visit www.yourtexasbenefits.com
    or
    Mail to:
    HHSC PO Box 14900, Midland Texas 79711-4900

Hope this helps you!
    Last edited by teesieme; 03-30-2006 at 02:24 AM.