Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse Testicle Cells Behave Like Stem Cells

Germany: Adult cells in mice shown to mimic embryonic stem cells

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...archived=False

Adult cells in mice shown to mimic embryonic stem cells
    Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:08 PM GMT

LONDON (Reuters) - German scientists said on Friday they had isolated sperm-producing stem cells that have similar properties to embryonic stem cells from adult mice.

If the same type of cells in humans show similar qualities the researchers from the Georg-August-University of Goettingen believe they could be used in stem cell research which would remove the ethical dilemma associated with stem cells derived from human embryos.

"These isolated spermatogonial stem cells respond to culture conditions and acquire embryonic stem cell properties," Gerd Hasenfuss and his colleagues said in report published online by the journal Nature.

Stem cells are master cells that have the potential to develop into any cell type in the body. Scientists believe they could act as a type of repair system to provide new therapies for illnesses ranging from diabetes to Parkinson's.

But their use is controversial because the most promising stem cells for treating human disease are derived from very early human embryos left over from fertility treatments.

In the report Hasenfuss and his team described how they isolated the sperm-producing stem cells from mice testes.

The cells, which they call multipotent adult germline stem cells (maGSCs), under certain conditions, acted like embryonic stem cells. When the researchers injected the cells into early embryos they found the cells contributed to the development of different organs.

Professor Chris Higgins, the director of Britain's Medical Research Council (MRC) Clinical Sciences Center, said the possibility of using the cells as an alternative to embryonic stem cells for therapy is intriguing.

"However, much more research is required before the similarities and differences between these testes cells and embryonic stem cells are understood, and before their potential for use in therapy can be properly assessed," Higgins said in a statement.

Dr Stephen Minger, a stem cell biologist at Kings College London, described the findings as "pretty amazing" but said more research is needed.

"We would need to replicate this in humans, just because it works in a mouse doesn't necessarily mean it will also work in people," he said.

If it is possible to isolate the cells in humans and show that they work it would give scientists another source of stem cells for research.

Great read Leif. Thanks for posting
    Sometimes the lights all shinin on me; Other times I can barely see. Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been: The Grateful Dead

Embryonic Stem Cell Success

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032401721.html

In Mouse Experiment, Cells From Testes Are Transformed

By Rick Weiss
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, March 25, 2006; Page A11

Scientists in Germany said yesterday that they had retrieved easily obtained cells from the testes of male mice and transformed them into what appear to be embryonic stem cells, the versatile and medically promising biological building blocks that can morph into all kinds of living tissues.

If similar starter cells exist in the testes of men, as several scientists yesterday said they now believe is likely, then it may not be difficult for scientists to cultivate them in laboratory dishes, grow them into new tissues and transplant those tissues into the ailing organs of men who donated the cells.

More...

Playfuls.com
    Washington Post - 13 hours ago
    Scientists in Germany said yesterday that they had retrieved easily obtained cells from the testes of male mice and transformed them into what appear to be embryonic stem cells, the versatile and medically promising biological building blocks that can ...
    Adult cells in mice shown to mimic embryonic stem cells Reuters.uk
    Cell find may cut use of human embryos Telegraph.co.uk
    Scotsman - Nature.com (subscription) - BBC News - Boston Globe - all 152 related ยป
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

This is very interesting.
    Come on guys..donate to science so they can replicate this in humans.

If it is replicable then WALA..no need for those controversial eggs. If it isn't..then we need a different study model..one that can't walk up the sides of dumpsters. One more in lines of what humans do. IMHO
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Thumbs up Mouse Testicle Cells Behave Like Stem Cells

By MALCOLM RITTER, AP Science Writer
    UPDATED 1 DAY 4 HOURS 59 MINUTES AGO

NEW YORK - German scientists say cells from the testes of mice can behave like embryonic stem cells. If the same holds true in humans, it could provide a controversy-free source of versatile cells for use in treating disease.

Embryonic stem cells can give rise to virtually any tissue in the body and scientists believe they may offer treatments for diseases like Parkinson's and diabetes and spinal cord injuries.

But to harvest the cells, human embryos must be destroyed. Some religious groups and others oppose that.

The new research into testicular cells, published online Friday by the journal Nature, comes from Dr. Gerd Hasenfuss of the Georg-August-University of Goettingen in Germany and colleagues.

Lab tests found that the mouse cells closely mimicked the behavior of embryonic stem cells, Hasenfuss said Friday. He said he is optimistic about finding human testicular cells that will do the same. Work has already begun on that, he said.

If such cells are found in men, "then we have resolved the ethical problem with human embryonic stem cells," he said in a telephone interview.

That would also open the door to removing testicular cells from a male patient, growing some tissue the patient needs, and transplanting that tissue into the same man without fear of biological rejection, he noted.

The mouse cells were found to give rise to a variety of specialized cells in the lab, including heart cells that contracted and nerve cells that produced dopamine, the chemical messenger that Parkinson's patients lack, he said.

Cells typical of the liver, skin, pancreas and blood vessels were produced as well, he said.

Great news! Women may be able to use egg cells and men can use these.

all sounds nice.. but do i really want to have one of my testies cut into? i mean sure i wont feel it, but its the whole idea behind it..
    eeesh.
    "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain ." Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by FellinBarcelona
    all sounds nice.. but do i really want to have one of my testies cut into? i mean sure i wont feel it, but its the whole idea behind it..
    eeesh.
    The good thing is that we men have two of them (testicles). One is more than enough for procreation. Many investigators have known that there are stem cells in the testicles that produce sperm cells. Called "germ cells", these stem cells were shown by John Gearhart in 1998 to produce cells that behave to all extents and purposes like embryonic stem cells. Gearhart, et al., however, did this with fetal germ cells and this study is important because it suggests that there are cells in the adult testicle that also retain this ability. This still needs to be demonstrated in humans but it is important to realize that nature has already demonstrated this in the form of testicular tumors. A significant proportion of adult human testicular tumors are teratomas, or embryonic stem cell tumors.

Please allow me to diverge here into a defense of embryonic stem cell research.

At a recent student organized stem cell meeting at Rutgers ("Human stem cells and Human Decisions", John Gearhart was a panelist and he made a very interesting statement. He predicted that if science were allowed to go ahead, the whole debate on embryonic stem cells will be moot and that we will learn how to make any cell in the body into cells that behave like embryonic stem cells. I have been saying this for years now on this site and believe that John Gearhart is correct. After all, what is an embryonic stem cell but a cell that is expressing certain genes. Those genes are in every cell. The fact that Ian Wilmot was able to create dolly the sheep by transplanting an adult somatic nucleus into an egg already tells us that the nucleus of a somatic cell can be reprogrammed to produce all the cells of the body. All thoughtful stem cell scientists know this to be true.

I foresee a day when people will have their own stem cell line that can be used to repair all the organs. This is of course the dream of stem cell researchers. That dream is being stymied right now by fear-mongers who have been doing everything they can to stop this research. For the past four years, U.S. scientists have been restricted to studying some 22 human embryonic stem cell lines derived before 2001, all of which are contaminated contact with animal cells and have a variety of genetics defects. We have been wasting our time arguing about when an fertilized egg becomes a human being when the real issue is whether the cells should be thrown out or used to save lives.

Embryonic stem cell research must not become a proxy for the abortion issue. No embryonic stem cell is a product of an abortion. Embryonic stem cell research does not encourage abortions. Although technically, removing embryonic stem cells from a blastocyst will kill the blastocyst, the blastocyst will be killed anyway. The choice is not between killing or not killing the blastocyst. The choice is between trashing it or using it to save lives. If those who oppose embryonic stem cell research really cared about embryos, they would be stopping in vitro fertilization clinics that throw away fertilized eggs by the dozens or even by the hundreds every day. Most people that I have spoken to on this subject admits that, if they were given the choice between throwing the blastocysts away and using them to save lives, the latter is the appropriate choice. In facts, the Jewish religion and several Christian churches hold that the latter is the only moral choice.

Our society has already decided the morality of embryonic stem cell research. In the Rutgers Human Stem Cell Humane Decisions panel discussion that society has already decided on the morality of the issue. Let me illustrate with a single example. If you were a fireman rushing into an fertility clinic that is on fire, and come into a room with an unconscious but salvageable woman lying on the floor and a freezer full of embryos, wouldn't the fireman be fired and condemned if he/she were to save the freezer of embryos and leave the woman to die? Isn't that exactly what we are doing by stopping research on stem cells derived from embryos that will be thrown away? By not allowing this research to go forward, we will have killed far more people. Furthermore, the current situation is untenable because we have no regulation or even monitoring of private use of embryos while legitimate research is being stymied.

I may be preaching to the choir but it is important that the debate needs to refocus on saving the lives of people, not just embryos. If even a single person dies unnecessarily because of this debate, it would be a travesty. The current policy has not saved any embryos but probably has resulted in the unnecessarily death of millions of people. Because we feel queasy about use of embryos, shouldn't we feel queasy about killing millions of adults? Some may challenge me on my use of "millions" but I don't think that it is so farfetched. If embryonic stem cells were able to save lives and improve function in just two conditions, such as diabetes and spinal cord injury, the research will save millions of lives.

Wise.

Mouse Testicle Cells Behave Like Stem Cells

Whatever it takes I guess. This is really interesting. It involves
    mice testes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060324/...use_stem_cells
    Word to your mother