Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Miami Project

Letsgo, my point is this, the $400,000 for the event at the Waldorf=Astoria should have read like this (cost to MP $10,000 the REST is underwritten). A good CEO would have made it happen in the manner I described. You see I'm viewing MP as a business and I think you are seeing it as an entirely different animal. Just because they're a non profit doesn't mean they play by a completely separate set of rules operationally. They don't. Their tax sitch is different but that's about all as differences go.

Also I think we're all on board with the contributions they've made in their research. We're well aware of the great work they've done. Our gripe is after 20 years still nothing benefitting a single human. Wise on the other hand has done much more in this regard. What's more, with their last propoganda release they expressly said they needed $$money$$ for the express purpose of taking the aforementioned to human trials. When called on it they backpeddled and said more research had to be done and a date for trials was no-where in sight and they took a person's $2 mil to boot along with other donations from smaller contributors. This is unforgiveable. It's a serious leadership issue.

As far as MP distancing themselves from CC, personally I haven't seen one post by anyone claiming to represent MP in the time I've been viewing this site. I dunno maybe people posting are affiliated and I'm not aware of who they are. All the same, I get much more info here so if they stopped their PR altogether I'm not sure anyone would notice outside of fundraising efforts.

Stop covering for the piss poor CEO sitting down there Letsgo. Anyone with any business experience sees through that dude like a window.

If they're going to ask for cash fine. Do so without sending me a $10.00 glossy color brochure. Also, DO NOT lie through your teeth and tell me it's FOR human trials. Tell me it's going toward a lavish $400,000 gala at a magnificent hotel and the people that have the cash won't donate unless you provide a dazzling dog and pony show.

I notice you haven't got a response for the outright lie they told regarding the need for cash so they could take that last study to human trials. Is this not a legit gripe?...
    Last edited by stlyin moe; 03-29-2006 at 07:54 PM.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Moe - I don't know of any non-profit organization that gets 100% of their costs for an event underwritten. How do you think they raised the $4.2 million? They received it from donations and sponsorship opportunites. Even when you get sponsorship money, the cost of the venue, catering etc all is considered a fundraising expense by the IRS. It has to be reported that way, the money received is counted as income. So no matter what, you are going to see fundraising expenses on an IRS form. Also, let's ask Dr. Young if his NY fundraiser is 100% underwitten. Bethany - is the W2W event 100% underwritten?

With all sincerity, if you believe you can get everything for an event underwitten and do a better job, then why not ask Dr. Young if you can sit on his committee that is producing his NY event? My purpose for asking you this question is that I believe if you get involved with fundraising, you will learn the reality of what is and is not acheiveable. After serving on it, come back and tell us what you were able to do. Show me that I am wrong.

Regarding The Miami Project's ask for money for human trials, how do you think they are paying for Dr. Bunge and Dr. Pearse's research? They said at their press conference there were still many unresolved issues that had to be figured out before human trails can start. I could be wrong, but the fundraising letter I received stated the money needed to be raised was to expand their research programs so they could get to human trials.

Regarding the money Gloria Estefan is giving, how do you know its not placed in a bank waiting for the trials to begin? Also, it takes money in advance to even start trials. How do you know its not being used for that. Again, I can only point to my own fundraising knowledge, but when a donor restricts money to a certain area - in this case a specific area of research - its illegal to spend it on something else. The IRS auditors will catch that.

The Miami Project and other institutions have led us to the point where science can even realitstic begin and implement trials. You don't know Dr. Young's work will or will not be successful. This shouldn't be about taking money from one institution to another. Instead lets get all the institutions to raise more money. $4 billion spent on AIDS research and activitsts don't bitch about which research organization gets it. We need to get out of the mind frame of scarcity and get into abundance. Plus, people need to know what is realistic in terms of fundraising expenses.

I hope you will prove me wrong and jump into the non-profit realm and raise money for Dr. Young.
    Last edited by LetsGo; 03-29-2006 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stlyin moe
    Believe me I know you can't put on an event for $10,000. This is where the pressure and good leadership come in. A good leader will help guide their staff to finding the balance of $$ without having to dip into their own pockets. This is where my characterization of MP's leadership and Letsgo's diverge (in addition to the lack of progress with their findings into human trials). Instead of looking for sponsorships for their events to come up with the balance it appears MP just writes a check for the full pop which takes away from their cash reserves to apply toward research and trials.

With University studies there is always an Intellectual Property (IP) issue that goes along with THEIR study and findings. Seeing how much cash MP blows through it wouldn't surprise me to find out they're too expensive with the IP rights for other clinics worldwide that might want to put their findings into their respective procedure. Purely speculation on my part, but plausable. I beleive it was Letsgo that said "nothing in SCI research is done in a vacuum. They all gather at conferences and discuss their findings." Yes, but there is always this prickly IP issue that must be resolved. I dunno if I'm wrong about the IP issue I suppose Wise or someone else with carnal knowledge of the process will step in and set me staight.
    Moe,

I am not sure that I understand your question about IP. To my knowledge, there has not been any significant holdup of research or therapies going forward because of IP issues. Occasionally, lack of IP is an obstacle because companies are unwilling to fund clinical trials unless they have IP protection.

The last time I really saw the internal budget of the Miami Project was nearly 10 years ago. At that time, they had about 150 people working in the Miami Project, many of whom were dealing with clinical studies. These include assessments of the Parastep device, the walking program that they had, the studies of reinnervation of muscles in the hand by Christine Thomas, the functional electrical stimulation studies for the legs and arms, the fertility studies of people with spinal cord injury, and others. If I remember correctly, they had about 10 principal investigators. I was looking at the possibility of becoming the Director of the Miami Project at the time. If they raised only about $6 million last year, that is less than what they use to. The rest of the project must be supported by NIH and other grants.

Respectfully, I disagree with your criticism of the Miami Project because I think that it will reduce contributions to the Miami Project rather than improve their research. Miami Project has been a singular voice for the cure of spinal cord injury for a long time. They have contributed much to the basic science of injury and regeneration. They were amongst the first to demonstrate the importance of combination therapies. They have championed Schwann cell transplants to the spinal cord since the early 1990's. They trained many of the top people in the field who are now heading their own laboratories around the world, contributing to the field. While I may not always have agreed with their choices of therapies to study, I think that they care and have worked hard.

To tell you the truth, $6 million per year is not a lot of money for a research operation of this size. By comparison, the Keck Center has four principal investigators and 28 staff/students/postdocs. Our budget is about $2 million per year. About half of our funding comes from state or federal grants, a quarter from industry, and a quarter from private donations. We have a much smaller operation here and don't yet have big donors. A typical principal investigator spends about $500,000 per year for an active laboratory with a staff of 5-6 people. Then, you have to factor in about 10% administrative cost. Because our facilities are built for shared collaborative work, we spend much less (perhaps half) equipment than most other centers. Recruitment of faculty is very expensive. The startup costs of a beginning assistant professor until he/she can get her own grants typically add up to over $500,000. The startup costs of a senior investigator can easily run up to $1,000,000.

Fundraising costs of 20% is considered fairly good and the costs of fundraising at the Miami Project is less than 20% of what they raise. I don't know how many people work in the Miami Project fundraising department but I would guess that they must have at least 5 people. Furthermore, the Miami Project does much more than just fundraise and give money to research. They also run a very active education, outreach, and public relations program. All these programs cost a lot of money. Many larger foundations with much more money do a lot less. In my opinion, they are doing a good job.

The Keck Center runs a very lean administrative operation. When I built this Center, I spent a lot of time thinking through not only the physical design but also the people and organization of the Center with the goal of keeping non-research costs less than 10% of the center budget This is possible because of four things:
    • First, I spend a lot of time fundraising and doing community outreach. For example, I average 8 hours a day reading and writing for this web site and 50 outside lectures per year. By the way, this is in addition to doing my research and teaching, fundraising, holding monthly Open Houses, teaching spinal cord injury workshops four times a year, manufacturing and supporting the Impactor in over 200 laboratories around the world, talking with politicians and lobbying, serving on university and national committees, writing papers and grants, reviewing papers and grants, and chairing the Department of Cell Biology & Neuroscience with 27 faculty members and all their needs and problems, as well as organizing the ChinaSCINet and the Stem Cell Institute of New Jersey. Believe me, I don't get much sleep.
    • Second, we have Patricia Morton who is Director of Development and Planning for the Center. She works probably twice as hard as I do. She not only runs all the fundraising events, organizes both our schedules, but she also hosts the Quest for Cure and takes care of everything and everybody in the Center.
    • Third, our Center has only two administrative staff for 32 people, one for intra-Center activities and one to manage relationships and communications between the Center and the University, including grants, accounts, and personnel. The faculty of the Center participate in all major decisions jointly and rotate through the Director position.
    • Fourth, we get a lot of help from Rutgers University and rely on volunteer efforts of our students and friends. For example, we send out quarterly mailings and the work is done by our students and staff, often folding and stuffing envelopes while I teach. Our students volunteer to help at all our events, including the Open Houses and our annual Rally. All our fundraising events are organized by volunteers. We don't use professional organizers.

I can't imagine having a leaner operation than our Center and it still takes up 10% of our Center costs. The Miami Project is approaching our level of leanness. With substantially less help from their university and the need to hold their major fundraiser in New York City every year, Miami Project's fundraising costs are necessarily higher. I am surprised that their costs are so low. Finally, I want to point out that 2004-2005 was a very tough year for fundraising, probably one of the toughest in memory. In addition to competing with the election fundraising, Katrina, and everything else, the Miami Project had to compete with the Christopher Reeve Foundation after Christopher died. It is easy to criticize the Miami Project but I think that they are doing a very good job. I hope that they succeed in raising a lot more money this year.

In my opinion, we should be supporting our spinal cord injury research organizations more. While I am sure that the Miami Project would appreciate constructive criticism, the criticism has often been destructive. I am not referring to you in this regard but many people seem to be taking their frustrations out on the Miami Project. It has been particularly distressing for me to see some in our community attacking people and organizations that are doing their best to help the community. I don't know of any other community that does that to their supporters. The anger needs to be directed at the real obstacles to a cure: the pessimists and politicians.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 03-29-2006 at 08:49 PM.

OK, uncle, I give.

I wasn't aware Wise is behind a NY event. I only have time to pop in and out of here briefly. Apparently I missed this.

Wise, I don't have much time to contribute, but I'll give what little I have. I don't have time to sit on a committee but I'll see what I can dig up for cash. Who do I need to speak to to get the details about when, where, who's there and how much?...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

You got it wrong in my opinion. It's nice for you to come out and defend MP at Moe's expense but not Seneca's. I think you need to tone down the cult like support you get here or at least acknowledge it. When Seneca made her remarks about all the other researchers not being as wonderful as you, it would have been nice if you insisted this type of behavior is harmful to the cure and sets up an adversial relationship. But, you chose to ban BigBob when he called attention to things like that. If you want you can ban me too. The last thing that bigbob said here was that most everyone else remembered Dana for many things including stem cell research except the representative from CRF on the Larry King show, and an article by Wise only days after that also didn't mention Stem Cell research but he said in her honor we should work to pass the CR Bills and SCI Clinical trial network.

BTW, Letsgo, you really don't have to defend MP. they are most respected elsewhere. Which means carecure is the oddball.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    howboutdis,

May I suggest that you read what Letsgo said carefully. I think that you are misinterpreting his statement about CareCure. He was suggesting that the Miami Project may be distancing themselves from CareCure because of the posts that criticize them. A number of people here, including Letsgo and myself, have posted strong defenses of the Miami Project.

Please stop bringing up the subject of BigBob. He was not banned because "he figured out CareCure". He was banned for repeated attacks on other members. You seem to be doing the same.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by howboutdis
    You got it wrong in my opinion. It's nice for you to come out and defend MP at Moe's expense but not Seneca's. I think you need to tone down the cult like support you get here or at least acknowledge it. When Seneca made her remarks about all the other researchers not being as wonderful as you, it would have been nice if you insisted this type of behavior is harmful to the cure and sets up an adversial relationship. But, you chose to ban BigBob when he called attention to things like that. If you want you can ban me too. The last thing that bigbob said here was that most everyone else remembered Dana for many things including stem cell research except the representative from CRF on the Larry King show, and an article by Wise only days after that also didn't mention Stem Cell research but he said in her honor we should work to pass the CR Bills and SCI Clinical trial network.

BTW, Letsgo, you really don't have to defend MP. they are most respected elsewhere. Which means carecure is the oddball.
    A cult-like following? Think again. I'm quite capable of thinking for myself and do. I'd say any of us with SCI think for ourselves. As there is much in life over which we have zero control, we do have control over our thoughts.

I don't let ANYONE ELSE think for me and that definitely includes you howboutdis/whichever one you really are.

As for Care Cure being the "oddball"? If you find it such an oddity, why bother posting here?

I thought Dr. Young asked you to not mention your father anymore. Did you miss that somehow?

Your grudge is showing, howboutdis.

Moe - its been a great discussion. I'll match whatever amount of money you send to Dr. Young. The amount doesn't need to be made public here unless you want. Send me a private message and I'll mail my check in.

The CC community is made up of thousands of individuals who hold different opinions on different subjects. We have members who support the MP and members who don't and because of that CC is the oddball? That sounds pretty typical of a community to me.

When Seneca made her remarks about all the other researchers not being as wonderful as you, it would have been nice if you insisted this type of behavior is harmful to the cure and sets up an adversial relationship.
    Stop attributing opinions and statements to me that I don't have and didn't make.

You got it wrong in my opinion. It's nice for you to come out and defend MP at Moe's expense but not Seneca's. I think you need to tone down the cult like support you get here or at least acknowledge it.
    Perhaps Wise didn't feel the need to defend the Miami Project to me since I never attacked them. I made it clear in my post that I was not attacking them. What I questioned was the rationale behind praising a lower yielding outfit over a higher yielding one. I also said that I agreed with Letsgo in that the Miami Projects contributions to the field have been invaluable. How is that an attack?

Also, please explain what you meant by "divisions in the cure world, brought about by actions on Carecure." What divisions in the cure world have been brought about by actions on CC?
    Last edited by antiquity; 03-30-2006 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsGo
    Moe - its been a great discussion. I'll match whatever amount of money you send to Dr. Young. The amount doesn't need to be made public here unless you want. Send me a private message and I'll mail my check in.
    Letsgo, thanks.

Moe, you can contact Patricia Morton at my office: 732-445-2061.

Wise.

Letsgo, I'm going after sponsorship cash. I reread my post and see that it looked like I said it was pulling from my own account. If I'm successful this won't be necessary. If not, I'll gladly donate. I agree it was a very good discussion.