Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "cracking down on handicapped parking violators"

Tessie, there is a difference between you and some 50-something rich chick in high heels parking her mercedes in a HC spot.

Boog goes through the same thing when he parks in a HC spot to p/u drop me off. The place it happened most was when I was working at the hospital. We would park in a HC spot, then he would walk me to my office. (Just that extra 5-10 min with me in the morning, he says.) He said he's got some strange looks when he's come back out to get into the van.

The worst one I've experienced as far as an AB in a HC spot, was teh woman who parked in the hashmarks up against my van. I was working that day, then had 15 min to get to class. I went to HR at the hospital and had the owner paged bc I couldn't get in my van. She made me 1/2 hour late for class. When she did finally show up, she laughed and said "oh sorry, I was visitng a handicapped friend who's in the hospital." I said, "so she's admitted here, and u are visiting? Why are you in a HC spot?" She responded with "Well, because I have her sticker!" She didn't see a darn thing wrong with it. I informed her that she wasn't even in a HC spot, she blocked my van and "thanks for making me late for class. I've been waiting for you for 45 minutes." She heard the pages, but ignored them. She said figured she would finish her visit first then just leave instead of moving her vehicle. issed off:

I'm wondering if there are some kind of qualifications to getting the HC placcard or licsense plate? seem's like here in Indiana they pass them out like kid's going to the Dr. get's suckers! No joke about every 3rd car you meet has a HC plac hanging from the mirror. It is very rare to see someone who uses one that has walking difficulty's. At Wal-mart I have even quit trying to get a space, there always full. Plus I have a scooter and can ride it inside, so someone who really needs the space can have it! I see people in chairs coming from the back of the lot's just because of it, and they really could have used the spots.

Guess what I am asking is What quailifies you to be or get a HC status?

Yep, it seems like a lot of them at Walmart are "fat ladies with canes". It's like they get so overweight that they have trouble walking so they just give up. One day, one of those FLWC got the last handicapped space. I parked nearby and got out of the car with my lofstrands. By the time I got in the store, she had taken the last scooter-cart. So I grabbed a regular shopping cart and pushed it around the store like a walker. And said to myself, "at least I CAN walk and I'm getting better. That lady (and others like her) will just continue to get worse, because they don't even try." The only thing was that in Walmart, I had a few scary moments when people who weren't watching where they were going almost knocked me over. Oh well, I wouldn't mind owning a Walmart . . . .

HC Parking Violators

This is and always will be an issue for us!

Maybe we can't put flyers on offenders cars but we can put these
    "HC signs" I've seen in here the (highly educational...hee hee) ones in OUR cars or side windows or back windows for better awareness.

We just have to calmly and without anger, educate them (pick'em
    off)....One At A Time!

I don't so much mind the ones who say...have had a heart problem for
    years and their restricted activites have "plumped" them up........
    but blatant offenders and relatives who use it with the disabled person waiting in the vehicle just absolutely burns me.

Queen
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

IMO, we will have a cure WAY before this problem is solved. as duge said, Dr.'s are giving stickers out like suckers. the problem is with the Dr.'s are they are giving them to anyone that asks and when they expire, who police's that? no one does because it takes someone actually giving a damn...

Jadis, having someone park in the hash marks happens to me weekly.. i am such a mild tempered person, but stupidity is what gets my goat.. last friday, 2 geniuses on motorcycles parked in the hash marks and i went ahead and let my ramp down on the Harley V-Rod.. lucky for him, it just brushed his kick stand. at this point, i could care less if it knocked his bike over.. i even have problems at the Shepherd Spinal Center... a freakin' spinal center!!!!!! ppl. just don't care..

about Wal-Mart... an infestation of stupidity.. the most abused place of all.. enuff said..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by queen
    and relatives who use it with the disabled person waiting in the vehicle just absolutely burns me.

Queen
    guilty as charged. However, in my defense, I don't do it in places where HC spots are being competed for.

I will empty my leg bag on thier tires to mark my territory.

My best one is when we went to the bank and the entire parking lot was empty. We came out of the bank and a lady with a kid parked not only in the handicap spot next to us, she was so close we couldn't put the ramp down. This is why I don't want my husband to go out alone and get stuck. I went back in the bank and told her to move. She made me wait 15 minutes, came out and didn't even back out enough for my husband to get in the van. I waved her back a little more, we squeezed in the van and she pulled right back into the handicap spot! Did she not see what we just went through? A lot of people just don't get it. Maybe I will carry a camera!
    The veterans have a great winshield flyer that I use, it looks like a ticket and explains what they did wrong. Sometimes we sit and wait for the person to come out and find it. They see it, look real scared when they think it's a ticket, then toss it in their backseat. It doesn't do much but you should get some.

Call the buggers in and get them ticketed. That doesn't happen nearly enough. Although I like the bag idea. Particularly on/in a convertible!
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    about Wal-Mart... an infestation of stupidity.. the most abused place of all.. enuff said..
    Yep, Wal-Mart is the absolute worst! And they usually have quite a few spaces too!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunker
    I will empty my leg bag on thier tires to mark my territory.
    better yet, empty your leg bag into an empty water bottle or fast food plastic cup and throw it on the door handle! haha

I have left so many notes on people's cars it's not even funny. But it gets disheartening when you have left a note on someone's car three times and you still see them needlessly park in the spots.

Last semester, a girl in my class who's 100% healthy parked her Toyota Tacoma in one of two handicap spots right outside our classroom every single day. I tried leaving a note. Then I called campus police and asked them to look into it, to see if the placard really belonged to her. I saw a cop talk to her about it, but she continued to park there. On the last day of class, I noticed she didn't have her placard up this time so I called it in. Sure enough, after class I looked and she had a ticket on her windshield! It didn't make a difference though, because I still see the bitch's truck parked in HC spots all the time.

Sometimes I wish the HC spots weren't in such plain view so I could key the bastards' cars.

Seriously, I am getting ready to take it to the next level somehow. If people are going to keep abusing handicap parking, and doctors and lawmakers aren't going to do anything about it, then I think it's time to up the ante. I don't have an exact plan yet, and I don't want to just make an empty threat here, but I am going to find a way to discreetly damage cars of repeat offenders. I don't want to completely ruin anybody's ride or cause extensive damage; just enough to slightly fuck it up. (along the lines of keying, causing a flat, busting a taillight, etc etc.)

If anyone has any ideas, I'm game.