Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "cracking down on handicapped parking violators"

"cracking down on handicapped parking violators"

Has anyone tried this with any success?

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=4669981

Cracking down on handicapped parking violators
    Cracking down on handicapped parking violators- Story by Kent Pierce

(Naugatuck-WTNH, Mar. 22, 2006 8:40 PM) _ You may want to think twice the next time you want to swing into that handicapped parking place when you think no one's looking.

In one community, your wrong deed might just be caught on camera.

Jeff Laliberte of Naugatuck has been in a wheelchair his whole life. Thanks to a customized minivan, he gets around just fine, but the automatic ramp means he needs some extra space.

Laliberte says, "I can't park in a regular space, because if someone parks next to me, I can't get out."

He needs a handicapped space but sometimes those are taken up by people who are not handicapped. Nobody knows that better than the chairwoman of Naugatuck's Handicapped Commission.

Wendy Hozer, Handicapped Commission Chairwoman, says, "Rainy days - everyone decides they're disabled on a rainy day."

Wendy Hozer says parking in these spaces without a permit is not just an inconvenience. It's illegal. The fine is 116 dollars. The problem is enforcing it."

About ten years ago, Naugatuck's Handicapped Commission tried something. They got some Polaroid cameras and
    took pictures of scofflaws parked in handicapped spots - but the pictures were blurry, they would run - it didn't work well. Now, there are digital cameras that work much better, but they cost money.

Sgt. Ray Savoy, Naugatuck Police Dept., says, "So the union thought it was a good idea, so we went out and purchased three cameras for them."

Naugatuck's Police Union bought the cameras. Jeff carries one with him and now he's on the lookout.

Laliberte says, "We need to have proof that we don't see the proper permit, plus we also need to take a picture of the
    license plate number."

He hasn't used it yet. Maybe he won't have to. The hope is the camera will be a deterrent to potential scofflaws.

Wendy Hozer says, "They know there's more eyes out there watching these spots, so that they're going to think double - twice - to park in these spots."

I think that is a Wonderful Idea....and the more publicity....the BETTER!

Queen

At the grocery just the other day, I had a 50 year old woman parked her sports car in the closest handicapped spot to the door. I had to walk in snow, on icy pavement (it was treacherous) just to get up to the sidewalk and get to the door.

When I came out she was loading her grocerys in the backof her car...I walked the long way right beside her because I wouldn't have been able to get the cart down off the curb, thru the snow and and stay upright getting to my car....as I passed her, I stopped and just said "Thank you so very much for parking in my space." She made fleeting eye contact, threw the rest in as quickly as she could and she couldn't get out of there fast enough. First one I'd had in a good long while and it felt good to tell her too!

Queen
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Good for you, Queen!
    We have a rear-access van, so I avoid using the handicapped spot if possible. I also see the disabled tags being overused - probably 75% of those I see getting in or out of their cars in the handicapped spots seem to be moving pretty spryly, even though they may have a tag. My wife is more forgiving (she's the one in the power chair) and says well maybe they have a heart condition and can't walk far. But at least we can call in when theres an untagged car in the handicap spot.
    - Richard

It is funny that their heart condition requires that they park close to the store yet they can walk around in the store for hours. I've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by ricandshe
    It is funny that their heart condition requires that they park close to the store yet they can walk around in the store for hours. I've seen it.

I can't help but wonder why a cardiologist would recommend regular exercise, especially time on a treadmill, and then write an order for HC parking? Heart patients need exercise, not close parking. They don't need the extra wide parking slots, either.

I brought my 92 year old Dad to his doctor a few months ago, and requested a permit for him. I was pleased to see that HC permits have gotten much more difficult to qualify for in FL than it was when I got mine 2 years ago!

It's amazing what people will do ...

I was at Blockbuster last week and where there drop slot is located is right in front of the handicap spots. I observed two people use the spot to park and drop there movie off. As I left, I politely reprimanded the person as to the error of their way. All they could say was "I'm sorry, I was just dropping off my movie ..."

I want to remind everyone to use caution when confronting the idiots that illegally parked in HC parking areas. Several years ago while on vacation in a beach resort I had one nut case pull a gun on me. The jerk had parked in the access area beside my clearly marked and tagged w/c van in a Walmart parking lot. We had the store politely "page" the driver, and I went out of my way to be polite to him when he came out to move his truck. I explained to him about w/c lifts, and that the access area was there due to the room they require to be used. Talk about someone getting into a snit, he moved his truck, right into someone else's' access area. Then he started ranting about how "crips" think they own the whole world, and as he got out of his truck he reached behind the seat and took out his gun, pointing it at me! Someone else saw this and called the police, needless to say he fled the scene. By the time the cops caught up with him he had ditched his gun, and tried to say that I was the one with a problem. To make a long story shorter, he got off scott free, he wasn't even arrested, and I was advised to be more careful! What a wonderful way to start a vacation, not!
    Linda H.

I received this from a friend, and felt it appropriate to add to a parking thread. This is the most recent one, so it gets the pic.

nice sign and def. to the point..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

I constantly worry what new residents are thinking when my son's truck is parked in a h/c spot nearby the apt. and I am the one who is getting in and out of it the majority of the time but...if I park behind the garage, he would have to first move the truck if I wasn't around to get his car out, etc. etc.
    As well, the other day he needed to use the truck to help a friend move but wanted to come and switch vehicles while I was at work with his car...with the way the mall lot can be, even if I would've chose to park way out away from everyone that early in the day, by the afternoon it would've been car next to car filled, so I parked in an h/c spot...but was sooo embarassed and rushed getting out of the car wondering what people were thinking to go into work, I was twice shamed when I had to go back and check to see if I locked it...what I am trying to say is that there are times there are reasons but as we all know more often there isn't a legit reason for someone ab in doing so. I felt sooo bad when I came out to find his day hadn't allowed him to switch vehicles (his car much easier to transfer chair in and out of) and here I had taken a spot for hours when I hadn't needed too. GAWD!!!
    What I see even more is people who block the ramps in and out of the mall. Here they don't even have them marked, let alone painted...they say they are following code when I've inquired...I think they lie.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.