Thread: NEW Self Cath Product from MENTOR

NEW Self Cath Product from MENTOR

First I am posting this for information only. I have been set up as a distributor for mentor for some time. They recently sent a package containing a new product that looks like it could make life a bit more bearable for some here, so I deceided to pass the information on. Do your own homework before using this product. The product is called the Self-Cath Hydrogel. It is basically a one time sterile disposable new type ready to use cath system that reduces friction compared to rubber catheters. It is a 2 part system: The package with the cath Reference number 9412. This product is the 9400 series and the last two numbers designate the "fr" size. Available 08-16 "fr" 9412 is the 9400 series in a 12 "fr". The other part is the self-cath hrdrogel accessories. (2)The cleansing package. The cath package allows cathing without transfers. It appears to be about 14" and has a suction cup on one end that fastens on to the inside of the toilet seat and the other end inserts in. Eliminates the need for extension tube. No need for additional lubricants, no need for additional water. The 94 series comes in straight tip. 96 series tapered tip. 98 series olive tip. 194 is the straight tip w/ insertion supplies. 196 is the tapered tip w/ insertion supplies. 198 is the olive tip w/ insertion supplies. Claims: Introducer tip designed specifically to reduce the risk of urinary tract infection. Contact free catheter usage. Protective sleeve designed to reduce the transfer of bacteria from hands to catheters and bladder. If you want more info call Mentor customer service toll free 800.328.3863 Moderators feel free to move this message.

I have been using these for ~5 months now, 9414's. They work really well. The hydrogel is definitely "slicker" than the normal lube in "travel/bag caths". I use to have difficulty when switching back from my bag-cath back to my normal straight cath's at home, this was discussed a few times about how the home caths would "stop" about an inch in, that no longer happens.
    Of course you either have to *know* that you will have access to a toilet(or tree ), since there is no bag with these. I carry a couple of bag-caths w/ me as a precaution.

I talked to a Mentor Rep at Houston Abilities Expo and passed some info back. She told me they were 18" long to give a little more "reach". I told her there is a "bend" at the top of the cath(from the packaging "roll" I guess) that is a little irritating. But not enough to make me stop using them, she was gonna look into it.

If you try these:
    1. Make sure the suction cup has a grip, otherwise you wind up peeing on the floor.
    2. Make sure the pkg/sleeve doesn't kink up, other wise, see #1.

I highly recommend these. But they are still expensive, they compare to normal travel caths in price. Hopefully they will come down some since they use less materials.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I just started using these when I am out of the house. They are really convenient. No trouble going back to standard caths at home. My insurance company pays for 90/month, no questions asked. I get them from 180 Medical (great company to deal with - Mentor recommended them to me).
    --------------------
    "On November 2 the voice of the people was heard. I promise not to imitate it out of respect for the mentally retarded" - Lewis Black (Comedian)

So if Mike asks for a prescription (so insurance will pay) Does he specify the model number etc.? We are seeing urologist today. Those sound great for taking with you. We always need to bring the urinal and lube etc.

No, his dr just writes the script for the number of caths he needs per month and the medical supply company can send you samples of different types until you find the right one that works for him. I THINK(although one of the GUYS will have to answer this for sure) that if you need intermittent caths AND condom(external) caths, that the script will have to specify the number of each b/c they are different types of products and will have different billing codes.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I used some of these while I was stuck out in the ass end of purgatory, they were handy, though I'd have to see a pic to remember the specifics as I used a few on-the-go cath samples. I got a promotional t-shirt for these when I went to a sci support group at the local hospital, it says "Think Again! Self Cath Hydrogel". If they thought I would EVER wear that shi(r)t they better Think Again!
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

OMG, what were a thinking?? A t-shirt!?!?!?

My doc wrote the Rx with just the model name (Self Cath HydroGel), and the supply company took care of the rest. I buy my own regular caths when I need new ones, because the insurance will only pay for one or the other. I use the hydro gel whenever I am away from home and the regular ones while at home.

I'm not sure if all supply companies will be able to get the hydrogels for you... I had to call Mentor to find a company that would get them for me. Let me know if you want the contact info.
    --------------------
    "On November 2 the voice of the people was heard. I promise not to imitate it out of respect for the mentally retarded" - Lewis Black (Comedian)

I just received some Coloplast (formerly Mentor) Hydrogel samples and was extremely disappointed. I was attracted by the packaging concept of having the suction cup attachment to the rim of the toilet seat, but the Hydrogel catheter has far greater friction than the other hydrophilic catheters I use (Coloplast's SureCath, SpeediCath, and Astra's LoFric) -- so much so that I couldn't pass it. The Hydrogel cath feels like the others after they've dried out. This was true for each of the samples I received which I believe to be representative of the product.

I'm pleased (though surprised) to find that others have had positive results with the Hydrogel. My first thought, however, was, What made Mentor think this catheter was ready to bring to market?