Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car insurance question

Car insurance question

I have just recently gotten a license and was in the process of adding myself on to a car insurance policy. Today the company called my parents house and asked about any drivers on the policy having a disability. My mother disclosed health related issues for other family members and they were unconcerned but when she told them that I had Cerebral Palsy they informed her that they were sending her medical forms that needed to be filled out by a physician and sent back in. She asked if I was actually required to fill these out, and was not given an answer.

They are forwarding the forms to me, and I have not recieved them yet. I do not know what they say but I am thinking that its none of their business and I am not obligated to reply, no?

I have no adaptive equipment, passed the physical needed to get a permit in the first place and got a license without any issue. Do they have any right to ask me anything? Has anyone ever heard of this before?
    Last edited by sledhockeygirl; 03-22-2006 at 12:53 AM.

I have cerebral palsy and an SCI. I've never had to fill out medical forms for car insurance. Of course, I kept my car insurance after the SCI and there was not a lapse until I began having seizures.

I haven't driven in years, but hope to drive again in June. I'm not sure what will happen as I've had a lapse in insurance. Because I kept insurance until the seizures started, I just renewed by mail/bank draft and did not see my insurer in person post SCI.

I'm wondering how auto insurance will be handled for me now. I have concerns about my disabilities, insurance availability and rates.

If we must complete medical forms, shouldn't every driver? That seems discriminatory. However, my auto insurance rates increased after my divorce. I was told divorced women statistically have more wrecks than married women. Go figure.

Let me know what happens.

I have never filled in a health form either. Maybe it depends on the state?

I'm very curious as to whether people have difficulty obtaining auto insurance after SCI, especially if you need hand controls or other vehicle modifications in order to drive. Do you need to disclose hand controls to your insurance company?
    Daniel

I haven't had to on either of my vehicles that have them....Neither when I added them to the truck that I already had insured or to the van that I purchased with them in it....I don't know if it's different from state to stat though.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I was required to take driving lessons before getting hand controls installed. The instructor took me to DMV for a road test and new license. It states my driving restrictions as requiring corrective lenses and hand controls. Neither needs to be disclosed to insurance carrier. Should I have an accident while driving without controls or glasses, though, I'd be in deep doo-doo!

I've never heard of insurance asking for health info.

I had to go thru the adaptive driving course as well before getting the initial hand conrtrols installed....HOWEVER, the instructors informed me that FL is very lax on their enforcement of the license endorsements and not to worry about it until it was time to renew my license unless I was personally really concerned about it...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    I'm very curious as to whether people have difficulty obtaining auto insurance after SCI, especially if you need hand controls or other vehicle modifications in order to drive. Do you need to disclose hand controls to your insurance company?
    i only pay the standard rate for a '05 Montana.. my insurance company is well aware of my upgrades including ramp and hand controls. the premiums did not go up, but everything would be covered if something were to happen..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    I had to go thru the adaptive driving course as well before getting the initial hand conrtrols installed....HOWEVER, the instructors informed me that FL is very lax on their enforcement of the license endorsements and not to worry about it until it was time to renew my license unless I was personally really concerned about it...

It was less than a year from needing renewal, for me. My license had been renewed thru the mail for so many years that my picture looked like the teenage me!

Quote Originally Posted by SoFla
    My license had been renewed thru the mail for so many years that my picture looked like the teenage me!
    And that's a bad thing???
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03