Thread: possible for me to use a ceiling lift to transfer myself? quad c5/c6

possible for me to use a ceiling lift to transfer myself? quad c5/c6

I am a C5 C6 quadriplegic I've been trying for some time to transfer myself into bed with no luck. I was looking into various technologies to assist me in my transfer. I'm very close to getting into bed, I'm thinking if I could use the ceiling lift to reduce my weight I may be able to get myself into bed. Does anyone know of anyone who has tried this? Do you think it is possible? I am very hesitant because a ceiling lift is very expensive and I don't want to purchase one in less I think it is possible. One of my major concerns is that the lift requires a sling for you to be in. What I am hoping is that I can rig a sling so that I can merely put it under my legs. Thus not having to have a sling under me in my chair at all times. If anyone has any further ideas or thinks this may be possible please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by tyweed
    What I am hoping is that I can rig a sling so that I can merely put it under my legs..
    The thing im picturing is it picking your legs up and flipping you right upside down.Whats gonna hold your ass? You'll need some strength id think to hold your weight while in flight..Im sure it could be done somehow though.

This is the system I'm installing in my new condo:

http://www.ableminded.net/gallery-condo.htm (scroll down)

I'm arranging the floorplan so that I'll be able to transfer to the bed, couch and b/t three different wheelchairs.

Here's a link to the company:

www.surehands.com

I share an almost identical level of ability as you. This system is perfect for quads like us... with one exception: the $10k+ price tag.
    Last edited by spaceboy; 03-21-2006 at 11:05 PM.

The Sure Hands lift on your website is the only one I know of that would not require a sling, and it is not real easy to apply yourself (you need to lift each leg to get the loops underneath. You can ask the Sure Hands dealer to help you try it out before purchasing. They all have demo units, either in their office or that can be set up temporarily to let you try it. The motor that lets you drive it with a hand control is a lot more expensive than the one without the motor, so be prepared for a big bill too.

(KLD)