Thread: can I start now

can I start now

I am 8 months post T12 incomplete and have not exercised because of depression and med complications. During this time I have got lots of sensation back. PT told me the other day that I have some glut, quad, and adductors back, all 1/5. also psoas.
    Is it too late to start exercising?
    I am only scheduled twice a week. Is that enough?

Depression and medical complications post-SCI are not uncommon, Cripply. Please don't let that stop you from making a difference starting from today. No it is not too late to start.

The good news is that you have gotten sensation back. This is quite optimistic. Also, the fact that you have trace contractions of glutes, quads, adductors and hip flexors is good news as well.

Twice a week PT is a great start. Try to make the most of it. Make it part of your lifestyle. Whatever you can do to get moving will help in your recovery.

Everyone on this forum has heard me say I'm a big advocate of getting into the pool. Aquatic therapy lets you exercise muscles that you might not be able to on land. If you can find a pool with a ramp or a lift, try it out. Wear a life vest to be safe. My mom tries to take me to the pool every week at least once or twice.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing your updates.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply
    I am 8 months post T12 incomplete and have not exercised because of depression and med complications. During this time I have got lots of sensation back. PT told me the other day that I have some glut, quad, and adductors back, all 1/5. also psoas.
    Is it too late to start exercising?
    I am only scheduled twice a week. Is that enough?
    I am happy for you that lots of sensation has got back for you. Even at twice a week it is beneficial for you physically and psychologically.
    You will fill improvement each day as you do your pt like i did but since i am a complete t-12, you will improve much better than i do just have the determination to get better each day. I am doing pt six times a week and at more than a year post i am preparing myself for future discovery of treatment. With that mentality, i believe i will one day be able to walk again. It is hard i know but life goes on. good luck and i hope you will keep me posted re your improvements.

It is never too late to take up exercise. In addition to the 2X weekly PT you should have a home exercise program that you can do on your own. The PT should develop this for you and show you how to do it with simple home equipment. Daily exercise on your own in addition to the therapy will make a big difference, and you can continue this if your insurance funding stops covering your PT.

(KLD)

Lightbulb

thanks for replies. God bless.

if you have the time, money and great PT's you should start an aggressive exercise program at least 3 x week for 2-3 hours /day. There are several programs in the USA that offer this programming.

Cripply,

Wonderful to hear that you are regaining some sensation. Keep moving! It is never too late to start exercise. The more exercise the better!