Thread: Coccydynia?

Coccydynia?

has anyone ever been diagnosed with Coccydynia/coccygodenia? I've had very bad pain around my colon/rectum since the summer of 2004. Two general doctors, a neurologist and a gastroenterologist haven't been able to do anything about it. Colonoscopy revealed minor proctitis and grade 1 hemorrhoids, the treatments did nothing for the pain. Spinal cord MRI didn't show anything. I've tried neurontin (900 mg per day), lyrica (300 mg per day), neither made any difference. On Friday I went to a second gastroenterologist, he believes I damaged my coccyx somehow. He told me the name of the condition he believed was causing the pain, but I couldn't quite understand the name because of his heavy Russian accent. Ended up showing me the word coccyx in a medical book. He believed my only options were pain medications which would eventually wear off and leave me in more pain then I'm in now. Or, they could do a procedure to block the nerves, but that would only offer relief for about six months and it would mess up my bowel program. Did a search on Google for coccyx pain and Coccydynia seems to be what comes up most. I believe coccygodenia is what the gastroenterologist was trying to say. If anybody has been diagnosed with Coccydynia, coccygodenia or any kind of pain coming from a damaged tailbone, I'd appreciate any advice. C5, incomplete, 12 years post.
    Last edited by Fragile; 03-20-2006 at 09:54 AM.

Hi Fragile,

Your story sounds very similar to mine! Unfortunately, I can't add any info to help....I think you are a lot closer to the path to recovery than I. Can you give an update on your situation?

"Coccydynia" is a nonspecific term referring to pain at the bottom of the spine, a.k.a. the tailbone (coccyx). This pain can be caused by sitting too quickly (as when one descends abruptly onto a hard chair), jostling movements, trauma of various kinds, fracture, or (rarely) organic ailments. The pain can take several months to resolve on its own, with symptomatic relief provided by V- or wedge-shaped cushions that feature an open space for the coccyx - NOT a doughnut cushion. Surgery (e.g., cutting nerves) often leads to more pain than was present preoperatively, so conservative treatment meaures are preferred. Painkillers don't always work, as you have found. Ice, or sometimes heat, can help. Manipulation of the coccyx (performed digitally, via the rectum) works well for some patients, and physical therapy is another approach.

I fell onto a hard chair several years ago, with severe coccygeal pain afterwards that lasted for 3 or 4 months. It was excruciating, and nothing relieved it but a V-shaped cushion. Since your pain has been present for well over a decade, it's considered chronic and there might not be a great deal that can be done to relieve the pain. You've had a thorough diagnostic workup, and threatening conditions were ruled out - maybe a physiatrist would have better ideas for you than the gastroenterologists you've seen. A neurologist might have some good ideas, too.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Some, but certainly not all, chiropractors have training in how to deal with a displaced coccyx and similar injuries. I've seen it done and though it hurts like crazy for a moment, it provides amazing relief. Sometimes they can do it externally, but some cases require the latex glove approach.