View Poll Results: How is your coffee ground?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I buy my bean fresh roasted and grind them myself with a manual burr grinder.

3 6.52%
  • I get fresh beans and use a power burr grinder.

8 17.39%
  • I get fresh beans and use a power burr grinder.

7 15.22%
  • I get whole beans and either have them ground or grind them myself at the store.

7 15.22%
  • I don't go in for the fancy stuff and buy my coffee perground.

20 43.48%
  • I'm much to busy to bother with any of that crap and use instant coffee.

3 6.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Coffee.

Caffeine consumption can cause neurological/mental/physical problems. It affects the stomach in allergies to caffeine. Here's some info I found on the internet. So be careful drinking too much.

Odd thing is that caffeine is good for the anaphylaxis reactions in allergies. Unless your allergic to caffeine, then it gets hard to detect.

http://www.swseed.ca/caffeine-allergy.php

Research has shown that in psychiatric wards when patients are only allowed decaffeinated coffee/tea, etc., then their drug requirements can be dramatically reduced - even stopped altogether in some cases. I had occasion to visit people in two separate hospitals. In one patients were allowed constant access to tea and coffee. Having little else to do many patients consumed a great deal more caffeine than they would outside the hospital. Patients here were noticeably "disturbed". In the other hospital patients had no access to caffeine. Most of the patients seemed "normal" in their behaviour. To quote a researcher into the effect of caffeine on psychiatric patients: "When a patient is admitted to hospital with delusional mania the first thing a psychiatrist should do is check to see how much coffee they have been drinking" Caffeine can definitely cause delusional experiences. Caffeine is a fake amino acid that can block reception of real amino acids and set all sorts of processes to work. So you're right, caffeine allergy is probably nasty. During my last major psychotic episode, even my voices were telling me to stay away from coffee. But I think I'm addicted to coffee now.

Here's another:

http://www.doctoryourself.com/caffeine_allergy.html

CAFFEINE ALLERGY: Past Disorder or Present Epidemic?
    by Ruth Whalen, Medical Laboratory Technician
    Cape Cod, MA USA.

With the upswing of "chemical imbalance" disorders that surfaced in the latter twentieth century, many researchers frantically attempt to unravel the brain's intricate clockworks. In turn, as the number of persons suffering with mental issues mount, it seems that doctors, pressed for time, are quick to refer patients to psychiatrists. Failing to request a medical physical, many psychiatrists hand out medications, often masking the underlying physical problem.

People have overlooked two simple but deleterious factors: 1,3,7 trimethylxanthine and allergy. Simply put: caffeine allergy. It is medical knowledge that the longer a person is exposed to a drug, the higher the chances are for developing a tolerance, and an allergy to the substance. Once this happens, caffeine allergic persons can't properly metabolize caffeine, which is rapidly absorbed by all organs, and distributed into intracellular compartments, and extracellular water.

Mentioned in a 1936 article by Drs. McManamy and Schube, a young woman, allergic to caffeine, presented with alternating states of delirium and mania, resembling schizophrenia (1). After the recorded case, allergy documentation becomes rare. And not surprisingly.

The drug's stimulating properties masks its allergic symptoms. Circulating adrenaline (epinephrine) increases in caffeine consuming persons (2,3). In its synthetic form, epinephrine is the drug of choice for anaphylactic reactions, halting allergic reactions. But added to a stimulant reaction, excess adrenaline may induce delusions. And the breakdown of some adrenaline byproducts mimics symptoms of schizophrenia (4).

Brain levels increase proportionately with dosage (5). In allergic persons, each cup of coffee, cola, tea, every piece of chocolate, and any ingested caffeine products, intensifies toxic psychosis. Half-life increases. Subsequent doses, including minute amounts, act as a bolus. Cells are poisoned, including neurons.

Symptoms of cerebral allergy can range from minimal reactions, such as lack of comprehension and inability to focus, to severe psychotic states, such as delusions, paranoia, and hallucinations (6). It's known that amphetamine psychosis can't be distinguished from schizophrenia (7,8). With a caffeine allergic person's inability to eliminate, continually ingesting caffeine, neurotransmitter levels, including dopamine and adrenaline, quickly increase. Cells rapidly absorb the drug.

Caffeine toxicity may be mistaken for bipolar disorder (1,12). Symptoms include: chattiness, repetitive thought and action (resembling obsessive compulsive disorder, OCD), restlessness, psychomotor agitation, alternating moods, anger, impulsiveness, aggression, omnipotence, delirium, buying sprees, lack of sexual inhibition, and loss of values.

Allergy can mimic Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) (13). As far back as 1902, T. D. Crothers noted that many caffeine consuming children "exhibit precocity" and "functional exaltation" (14).

Seems like a lot of people suffer from the effects of caffeine.

Nah .... don;t like the freeze dried either. Regular old pre ground coffee, drip coffee maker does it for me. My sister in law has one of those K cup makers .... it made good coffee. Not sure I could justify the cost tho'.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    Nah .... don;t like the freeze dried either. Regular old pre ground coffee, drip coffee maker does it for me. My sister in law has one of those K cup makers .... it made good coffee. Not sure I could justify the cost tho'.
    I'm so distanced from conventional/commercial coffees I thought your Maxwell House was an instant coffee.

Understood; it's/life's all trade-offs and compromises. You see my problem with investing in a power grinder though? You can find quality hand grinders at thrift stores for ten bucks. People have had them handed down and die and the thrift winds up with them and don't know the quality manuals from the junk/display ones. The same grinder I'm using would cost much more new and the same quality in an electric grinder would cost at least $300. So it's the old elbow grease for now.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

think of it as exercise

T7-8 since Feb 2005

think of it as exercise

I do, in more ways than one.

What's your excuse for not using a grinder to open the flavors and fragrances ("aromatic oils" they're called) just before brewing instead of sacrificing most of them to the pre-ground, canned stuff?
    J.B.S.Haldane

mostly laziness combined with a bit of apathy....... just posted the maxwell house to tease tho' .....

(ps, I drink lipton tea too .... tea bags, not even the loose stuff, although I used to use Twinings ENglish B;fast, loose tea, just a savage now I guess.)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

mostly laziness combined with a bit of apathy....... just posted the maxwell house to tease tho' .....

(ps, I drink lipton tea too .... tea bags, not even the loose stuff, although I used to use Twinings ENglish B;fast, loose tea, just a savage now I guess.)
    No, the opposite. Sorry about missing that you originally posted that the MH wasn't instant. Sometimes I can't see the FFTT.

Edit: Sorry but that can of dreck could never tempt. You're waving dish water at a guy that's been doing manual "stove-top" coffee roasting for twelve years and is now putting in six minutes ea. grinding times to get set for each double-shot of espresso - at least twice a day. It's you that should be getting tempted by what tastes are available that you're foregoing to save a very small investment of time and effort.
    When's the last time you had a cup of coffee that started you thinking in poetical terms or even caught your notice and made you think, "Wow, this is some great coffee"?
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 08-17-2008 at 07:50 AM.
    J.B.S.Haldane

I must say, I have never waxed poetically over coffee ..... I have had some good cups tho. I will just have to meet you for coffee someday and find out what a decent cup really is!

Ironically, I have (instant drinking ) friends who actually consider me a coffee snob!

By the way, I was glad to see the edit. I was surprised last night that you didn;t jump on that can of plain ole maxwell house! You had me worried! (I meant tease as in taunt, not as in tantalize).
    Last edited by sjean423; 08-18-2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: b/c I couldn;t spell last night
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

For our basic morning brain-awakening caffeine jolt, we use commercial Chock Full O' Nuts. Used to use Folger's, but a friend gave us the other when we had dinner at their house one night and it was a heck of a lot better.

We do keep higher-grade coffee at home for occasional evening java. Mostly we like the flavored coffees. Seems people have strong preferences for or against flavored coffees. I couldn't drink them in the morning, but they taste just right after dinner. We were given a grinder by a friend recently but haven't had the chance to try it yet.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    - Albert Einstein

whats at the store

this is cuban coffee. i brew it like any preground in a small mr coffe machine.

naviera coffee mills
    tampa, fl 33605
    813 248 2521

this is on supermarket shelves all over florida.