View Poll Results: How is your coffee ground?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I buy my bean fresh roasted and grind them myself with a manual burr grinder.

3 6.52%
  • I get fresh beans and use a power burr grinder.

8 17.39%
  • I get fresh beans and use a power burr grinder.

7 15.22%
  • I get whole beans and either have them ground or grind them myself at the store.

7 15.22%
  • I don't go in for the fancy stuff and buy my coffee perground.

20 43.48%
  • I'm much to busy to bother with any of that crap and use instant coffee.

3 6.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Coffee.

Red face Coffee.

The third choice in the poll is supposed to be:
    I get whole beans and grind them with a blade ("whirlleyblade") grinder.

It is argued by coffee purist that grinding freshly roasted beans just prior to brewing is essential to the production of true coffee taste. The reasoning is that the whole bean offers the miminal surfaces for oxidstion: once the beans are ground (and the finer the grind the more this is so), the surfaces available to oxygen in the air is greatly increased, and oxidation proceeds much more rapidly.

This four week poll is designed to give an indication of CC member's prefered methods of getting their coffee beans ground and to provide a venue for them to post comments and share knowledge and experience.
    Last edited by jukespin; 03-23-2006 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Bad Poll.
    "Sometimes I just sets and thinks...
    and sometimes I just sets.
    "

Otis Redding I think

I don't drink coffee myself, but my DH prefers coffee ground by hand with a manual burr grinder. He says he can truly taste the difference. We have 2 old fashioned burr grinders, one is over 30 yrs old (now retired), the other I bought new last year. I find I can get a much more consistant grind using the manual grinder that any of the electric whirlleyblade grinders we tried.
    Linda H.

Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Dunkin Donuts wasn't in the poll. What the hell? They sell 1 billion cups of coffee annually and they didn't make the list?...lol

I don't consider myself a coffee snob, but it is one of my vices. I prefer a smooth coffee to the Starbucks type that's very bitter. Then I dump a bunch of french vanilla spooge in there and I'm good to go.

If I'm on the road it's Dunkin Donuts coffee. If I'm home it's Chase & Sanborn through my drip maker...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

I don't drink coffee. I drink a protein shake every morning. 2x's a week I drink tea with lemon, equal, and honey. -Ed-
    -----------
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Linda H.
    I don't drink coffee myself, but my DH prefers coffee ground by hand with a manual burr grinder. He says he can truly taste the difference. We have 2 old fashioned burr grinders, one is over 30 yrs old (now retired), the other I bought new last year. I find I can get a much more consistant grind using the manual grinder that any of the electric whirlleyblade grinders we tried.
    burr grinders are always rated much better than blade grinders. powered burr grinders are much better than blade grinders
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy
    burr grinders are always rated much better than blade grinders. powered burr grinders are much better than blade grinders
    When you're right, you're right!

You'll have to spend big bucks to get a powered burr grinder that grinds as uniform as a comperable manual; the Zassenhaus, for instance.

thats why i have them grind it at the coffee shop that i buy my coffee at.
    they have the pro grinders
    cauda equina

we dont even have a dunkin donuts here...just some crappy ass place they want to call coffee shop..oh man i miss home

brads girl many good coffee shops do mail mail order , its worth it ,,,
    i am fortunate a shop nearby does its own roasting, not to many small roasters near nyc due to air pollution laws
    cauda equina