Thread: Extension of SCI Misery, or Not?

Extension of SCI Misery, or Not?

OXFORD (Reuters) - Modern medicine is redefining old age and may soon allow people to live regularly beyond the current upper limit of 120 years, experts said on Wednesday.

It used to be thought there was some inbuilt limit on lifespan, but a group of scientists meeting at Oxford University for a conference on life extension and enhancement dismissed that idea.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060315/hl_nm/old_age_dc

Schmeky,

A lot of these groups are working alongside the stem cell/regenerative ethic. The longeivity meme, for example, often report on emerging therapies and breakthrough worldwide. I think it can only be viewed as a positive step. Therapies for SCI and ageing will be available to the population and will undoubtedly compliment one another.

I don't think therefore misery will be prolonged, quite the contrary Unless a person opted for a 'youth provoking' therapy and not one to address their SCI.

Life with SCI is miserable but a lot of miserable people and people living in miserable conditions still want to live. I'd love to be around for another 85 years.

Quote Originally Posted by seneca
    Life with SCI is miserable but a lot of miserable people and people living in miserable conditions still want to live. I'd love to be around for another 85 years.
    Seneca,

I'd shake your hand for wanting to be around for another 85 years with a spinal cord injury. I don't think I would be able to do that.

Ethically, the extension of life is controversial, with some philosophers arguing it goes against fundamental human nature.

I have heard about this. But maybe the US will have problems with this one as well. Maybe we will end up with you guys living the average +70 while people in the rest of the world will become 150. - Well, I mean since since ethics are mentioned here

Quote Originally Posted by zokarkan
    Seneca,

I'd shake your hand for wanting to be around for another 85 years with a spinal cord injury. I don't think I would be able to do that.
    Whoaaaa, where did I say that I wanted to be around for another 85 WITH an SCI?

I simply said that I'd love to be around for another 85.

If there is a cure then I'd live to 120 without an SCI.

If there isn't a cure and suicide isn't an option then I guess I wouldn't have much choice would I?

My point is that the misery of SCI doesn't prevent me from wanting to live forever.
    Last edited by antiquity; 03-19-2006 at 09:22 AM.

Whoaaaa, where did I say that I wanted to be around for another 85 WITH an SCI?

I simply said that I'd love to be around for another 85.

If there is a cure then I'd live to 120 without an SCI.

If there isn't a cure and suicide isn't an option then I guess I wouldn't have much choice would I?

My point is that the misery of SCI doesn't prevent me from wanting to live forever.
    I apologize. I thought you meant with a spinal injury.

Don't worry, Dr. Michael West is working on it (from earlyer). Wonder where they are now, hopes it will not take them "forever" to find out.
    The extraordinary story of the breakthrough discoveries in cell aging, stem cell research, and therapeutic cloning, and the tremendous promise they hold for dramatically extending human life.

Dr. Michael West has been consumed with the mystery of science since he was as an inquisitive child mixing chemicals in his attic-turned-laboratory. Today, he stands in the center of a controversy so great that the list of those lining up against him includes President George W. Bush.
    Once a devoted creationist eager to dispel theories of human evolution, Dr. West was set on a quest to find a scientific solution to the devastating effects of disease and death after the death of his father. He became immersed in the study of cell aging and the discovery of the cellular ?clock? telomerase ? the mechanism that controls cell aging. His work led him to found the biotechnology company Geron, a pioneer in the field of stem cell research. His new company, Advanced Cell Technology, is the only organization in the United States pursuing human therapeutic cloning research ? research in the field of ?regenerative medicine? intended to repair damaged and diseased human organs and tissues.
    Unlike reproductive cloning, the attempt to clone a human child, therapeutic cloning is a process of growing cells, using a patient?s own DNA that is inserted it into an unfertilized egg cell to create embryonic stem cells, cells that hold the promise of repairing the damage of age and disease ? in essence, making the cell young again. The potential for therapeutic cloning to treat afflictions caused by the loss of dysfunction of cells ? from spinal cord injury and skin burns to kidney failures and cancer ? is enormous.
    Part memoir, part adventure story, The Immortal Cell chronicles the breakthroughs Dr. West and other scientists have made in biotechnology over the past decade ? and the astonishing potential they offer us to cure diseases and improve the quality of human life. Source
    Last edited by Leif; 03-21-2006 at 06:40 PM.