Thread: Skinny butt-redness

Skinny butt-redness

Is there anything I could do to build up the muscle or tissue in my butt? Gluteous maximus or ishial tuberosity I believe. It has become terribly thin over the years and I'm always fretting about another skin breakdown. I sit on a 4" roho and relieve pressure sometimes but lately the right ishium has been quite red at night, right on a scar from 20 yrs. ago and then it's gone in the morning. I haven't lost weight or changed anything. I don't like the way it looks and it is something new and troublesome. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Smokey -- If you or your caregiver are noticing that the site on your butt is red only at night when you get back into bed it could be something with your seating system. You mention a Roho cushion and that you do pressure reliefs "sometimes". What does that mean? Consistently at least once an hour? Or only when you think about it? You mention that you haven't lost any weight? Any changes in your diet? You could try to add a multivitamin with zinc sulfate and vitamin C to see if that helps a little. This along with frequent pressure reliefs and possibly a new seating evaluation might help as well. As far as building up the muscle that is tricky and bothersome as it is a frequent effect from SCI and loss of muscle tone. Do you have any quad muscles at all that you could strengthen? Maybe others have suggestions for you as well. In the meantime, I would ask your MD for a seating re-evaluation with a physical therapist and keep up the frequent pressure reliefs so that the area of redness does not worsen. Do not rub the site and keep pressure off of it as much as possible until the redness is completely gone. PLG

Frequent pressure relief, every half hour, seems to be the answer for now. However, I also suspect my transfer board (Ultraslick)may be part of the problem also. When I transfer back to bed,the board slides under my butt, I get right up on the ishium and slide over. I may be shearing the tissue or just crunching the tissue right over the boney prominence. Also the hand slot in the board may be catching my ishium as I drag my butt across the board. I would like to be able to build up or toughen the tissue in my butt somehow as it is really paper thin on the right side.

I would definitely ask for an eval with a PT. This therapist could look at all aspects of your transfer and also at your seating system. Are you able to do depression transfers and forego the slide board for a while? You didn't mention what level your SCI was. PLG

PLG, Thanks for the replies, when you say "seating system" do you mean the cushion or the upholstery, or the "dump" in the chair? I'm a C6-7 quad with bad shoulders (brachial plexus injury), depression transfers are something I'm not familiar with, but I seem to need a board to transfer from bed to chair and vice versa.

Smokey -- I was talking about your wheelchair and seat cushion. Since you mention a brachial plexus injury and SCI at C6-7 you are more than likely not able to do a depression transfer. It still might be helpful to get a consult with a PT to look at all aspects of your transfer and get some tips to prevent continued shearing of skin over the right buttock. PLG

Sorry for butting in here (pardon the pun!), but what exactly is a depression transfer?

Andy.

--
    To reply to me via email, replace 'spambucket' with 'andy'.

A "depression" transfer is the technical term for a transfer done by lifting your butt off the surface by staigtening your elbows and lifting up. It is often called a "push up" or lift as well. This is technically done with a movement called shoulder depression, hence the name. We don't use this term where I work, since it sounds kind of "depressing"!

(KLD)