Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone withdrawal from Neurontin or Lyrica?

withdrawal

Hi, I've seen pts have withdrawal from high doses of neurontin and lyrica, both. Lyrica is "fairly" new. I have seen adverse reactions to Lyrica. sorry, I hope there are other options.

I took Lyrica for a year for nerve pain in my neck. My dose increased over time to 600mg a day. Over the last six weeks I slowly weaned from the medication and have been off Lyrica totally for about three weeks. I feel terrible. I am nauseous. Food sounds horrible. I have lost ten of the twenty pounds I put on while taking the med. I am having classic depression symptoms such as avoidance of crowds, "burrowing in" at home, feeling overwhelmed by the normal demands of caring for my family. Does this sound like it could be related to the withdrawal of Lyrica even though I did so very gradually?

Lyrica

Oh, dear God, now I'm really concerned after reading these posts! I have a spinal cord lesion at the T1 level, had the darn thing since May, now I have a neurosurgeon who thinks it's cancer. Anyway, I've been taking 60 mg of Prednisone for inflammation and spasticity since July and 75 mg of Lyrica for neuropathy in my left leg since late July. I have gained over 30 lbs. since starting the Lyrica, have swelled all over (I look like I'm 5 months pregnant not to mention my legs and face!) and feel like crap most of the time. I've been wondering how long it's safe to take these meds, and now I find these posts about it! If I stop the Prednisone, I won't be mobile any more, and the spasticity will come back within hours. I forgot my dose one evening and by midnight my legs were starting to spasm so I got up and took my 3 tablets. I felt really sleepy and a bit nausous the next day, so I wondered if I might have OD'd. I've been wondering if I should start taking a Lyrica in the morning and one at night to control the pins, needles, and glass shard feeling in that left leg, but now I think I will just stick with the one dose in the evening. My neurologist said I should start with one and I could increase it to 2 if I needed to. Don't think I want to now!! Also, has anyone had circular-type rashes on arms or legs from taking Lyrica? I seem to have these recurring circular rashes on my left arm and just recently around my left buttock. Any correlation between the two do you think? My neurosurgeon is looking for someone to do a biopsy so we know exactly what we're dealing with. In the meantime, I wait in limbo.

I had severe withdrawal. All of those symptoms that lyricauser has posted. it lasted about 3 weeks and my neurologist did not suggest or prescribe any way to go about tittering down. the most info I received was through everyone here at carecure. It was absolute hell!

Lyrica In Water

I don't have access to 25mg Lyrica here in Mexico and the lowest dosage comes in 75mg capsules.
    What I'm doing is titrating down the medication by using 150ml of water and pouring the contents of 75mg capsule inside and then removing 4ml/day, which comes out to about 14mg/week reduction.

I think this is slow enough, but for some reason when I pour the contents of the capsule in water I got anxiety after drinking it. It was like a "high" but not a pleasant one at all.
    I know Lyrica are not XR or SL capsules so what could be causing this to happen?
    This does NOT happen when I take the entire capsule so the only possible thing I can think of is that too much drug is being absorbed into my system causing this unwanted "high".
    The plan tomorrow is to slowly take the medication in an hour time to see if this side effect goes away.

Jarocho

lyrica withdrawal

The worse hell I ever experienced was when I slowly weaned myself off the Lyrica, since it wasn't doing anything except making all my joints hurt and swell. I couldn't even get my rings off!

Hi, Just joined today but have been lurking for the last week or 2. I am going through the Lyrica withdrawal nightmare and I could really use some advice or support. I only started it when I herniated my c6/7 back in July. I was having referred pain down my arm and couldn't sleep, so my prim doc gave me a script for 75mgs to take at night to help. She encouraged me to increase it to another 75mgs during the day after a few days of just at night. I resisted at first. I was just on the 75 mgs at night for around 4 weeks and then the 2nd dose of 75mgs during the day around 3 weeks later. I had surgery on my neck about 3 weeks after that. It solved my arm pain, so I thought I could just stop. My primary never said anything about having to be weaned off of it and I broke my cardinal rule about investigating the drug prior to taking it. I just wanted to sleep better. They tried to give me my doses while I was in the hospital 24 hrs after surgery, but I was like, hey, the nerve problem is gone, why should I take it (especially the day dose) Well, when they discharged me the next afternoon, they said to continue it for 30 days (but not why I still needed it)so I dropped to just taking the 75mgs at night after 1 more week, I stopped taking that (9/5/08). Well, within a week I could feel myself getting more anxious and depressed but didn't associate it with anything. Then over the next 2 weeks my sleep slowly started dissapearing. I went from 6/7 hrs a night down to waking up by 2am and then midnight. I saw my primary who ordered Lunesta for me and I did take it that night and slept maybe 5 hrs. I realized something still wasn't right and Lyrica was the only thing that I had been on and that's where I found that it should not be stopped cold turkey (regardless or dosage or length of time on it)I took Lunesta that night and slept kind of crazily but I could have sworn my prim doc said not to take it every night, so when I tried to sleep on my own last Sat night, I went to bed around 10 and was up by midnight. That's it. I lost it. I actually called one my neurosurgeon's p.a.'s that are on call over the weekend. He reassured me that I wasn't losing it and that the withdrawal was a real thing. He said the best he could figure was that it lasts 14-21 days, but I'm not sure when to start the counter cause it could have been in my system for some time after the last dose. So fine, maybe I was in the 2 week zone but I caved, there was no way I could see myself not sleeping for another week or 2, so I took 75 mgs that night and slept 9 hrs. Took another dose Monday night and didn't sleep. Doubled the dose on Tuesday and slept, double dose Wed night, nothing. Saw my primary again just 2 days ago and she said she told me to take the Lunesta for at least another 2 weeks to see if it helps. Now, I had to make a decision on whether or not to cold turkey the last 4 days of being back on it and I said yes. So the Lunesta has helped a little the last 2 nights but (and I know how whiny I sound) Prior to all of this, I was a sound sleeper, head hits the pillow for 7/8 hrs, so this has just been absolutely crazy.
    Please, is there anyone who can respond with how long it took to get the Lyrica out of their system and felt like themselves again? I've become paranoid that this is permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by mzalemap
    Hi, Just joined today but have been lurking for the last week or 2. I am going through the Lyrica withdrawal nightmare and I could really use some advice or support. I only started it when I herniated my c6/7 back in July. I was having referred pain down my arm and couldn't sleep, so my prim doc gave me a script for 75mgs to take at night to help. She encouraged me to increase it to another 75mgs during the day after a few days of just at night. I resisted at first. I was just on the 75 mgs at night for around 4 weeks and then the 2nd dose of 75mgs during the day around 3 weeks later. I had surgery on my neck about 3 weeks after that. It solved my arm pain, so I thought I could just stop. My primary never said anything about having to be weaned off of it and I broke my cardinal rule about investigating the drug prior to taking it. I just wanted to sleep better. They tried to give me my doses while I was in the hospital 24 hrs after surgery, but I was like, hey, the nerve problem is gone, why should I take it (especially the day dose) Well, when they discharged me the next afternoon, they said to continue it for 30 days (but not why I still needed it)so I dropped to just taking the 75mgs at night after 1 more week, I stopped taking that (9/5/08). Well, within a week I could feel myself getting more anxious and depressed but didn't associate it with anything. Then over the next 2 weeks my sleep slowly started dissapearing. I went from 6/7 hrs a night down to waking up by 2am and then midnight. I saw my primary who ordered Lunesta for me and I did take it that night and slept maybe 5 hrs. I realized something still wasn't right and Lyrica was the only thing that I had been on and that's where I found that it should not be stopped cold turkey (regardless or dosage or length of time on it)I took Lunesta that night and slept kind of crazily but I could have sworn my prim doc said not to take it every night, so when I tried to sleep on my own last Sat night, I went to bed around 10 and was up by midnight. That's it. I lost it. I actually called one my neurosurgeon's p.a.'s that are on call over the weekend. He reassured me that I wasn't losing it and that the withdrawal was a real thing. He said the best he could figure was that it lasts 14-21 days, but I'm not sure when to start the counter cause it could have been in my system for some time after the last dose. So fine, maybe I was in the 2 week zone but I caved, there was no way I could see myself not sleeping for another week or 2, so I took 75 mgs that night and slept 9 hrs. Took another dose Monday night and didn't sleep. Doubled the dose on Tuesday and slept, double dose Wed night, nothing. Saw my primary again just 2 days ago and she said she told me to take the Lunesta for at least another 2 weeks to see if it helps. Now, I had to make a decision on whether or not to cold turkey the last 4 days of being back on it and I said yes. So the Lunesta has helped a little the last 2 nights but (and I know how whiny I sound) Prior to all of this, I was a sound sleeper, head hits the pillow for 7/8 hrs, so this has just been absolutely crazy.
    Please, is there anyone who can respond with how long it took to get the Lyrica out of their system and felt like themselves again? I've become paranoid that this is permanent.
    I think the Lyrica is off your system, but if you mean how long before you feel normal again I've read that anywhere from 2 to 10 weeks (wide range isn't it?).
    I'm on benzos so even 10 weeks is nothing in terms of withdrawal symptoms. Careful with the Lunesta and try taking a supplement or something else for your sleep...do NOT even try Ambien and much less any of the following : Ativan, Xanax, Klonopin, or any benzo at all for longer than a week.

Please post on your recovery as I would like to know how long it took YOU to recover from Lyrica withdrawal.

take care

Jarocho

Lyrica withdrawal

Hi Jarocho2003,

Thanks so much for the reply. 2-10 weeks sounds insurmountable. After getting just another 2/3 hrs tonight, I'm just emotionally and physically exhausted. I wish they could just knock me out and wake me up in a month and see how I am doing. I'm so tempted to just go back on the 75 mgs (only) nightly and see how I do after 1 week and if I am sleeping soundly, I'll stay on it for awhile and then see about tapering off very, very slowly. I didn't have a lot of side effects from it, like the swelling and weight gain but it did play havoc with my emotions. You were kind of enough to say that it's probably not permanent long term damage, but the insomnia didn't kick in until the 2nd week, which seems like that's when you should start feeling better, not the other way around. Unfortunately, my prim dr did order .5mgs of Klonopin to help me with my anxiety. I took my first dose last night but didn't really notice a difference. I doubt I'd take it tonight or if I did, split it in 1/2 to .25 mgs. I've heard those horror stories of coming off of benzos too. I took some valerian root the other day with my Lunesta and can't say it helped me sleep better, just different. I was wondering if I should try GABA supplements.

Pam

These drugs were designed to treat epilepsy....SEIZURES. They slow your brain functions. If in fact you stop abruptly it is like taking the brakes off your car on a huge hill. There is every chance to experience some level of withdrawl depending on what other medications you are also using. There is also a very good chance your brain could in some way experience a seizure as a result of not tapering down slowly off these medications.

Here is an ODD bit of trivia as well...there is a relationship between essential components in the use of gabapentin and the food additive MSG. Some notice that even after years finally off of these medications, foods where MSG is used can still cause that creepy crawly achey feeling...

The gift that keeps on giving. Take care of your brains....

Mary
    1FineSpineRN